Green Vigo

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Forever Warrior

Green Vigo

Post by Forever Warrior »

There’s a very interesting interview with Green Vigo in this week’s League Express. He talks about his background in South Africa before joining Wigan and opens up on his problems with alcohol later in his career. It was good to read that he gave up alcohol many years ago. It’s also apparent from the interview that he wasn’t treated too well by Wigan under the ownership regime in the 1970’s.
Sadly, he says that he didn’t attend his close friend, Bill Ashurst’s, funeral because he didn’t feel confident about how he would be accepted. I’m unsure whether Green has attended any of the heritage games but he is surely someone that the club should try to bring back into the fold. He gave those of us old enough to have watched Wigan in the seventies some fine memories when we didn’t have the greatest teams. He would surely receive a warm welcome from our fans.
josie andrews

Re: Green Vigo

Post by josie andrews »

Forever Warrior wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:09 pm There’s a very interesting interview with Green Vigo in this week’s League Express. He talks about his background in South Africa before joining Wigan and opens up on his problems with alcohol later in his career. It was good to read that he gave up alcohol many years ago. It’s also apparent from the interview that he wasn’t treated too well by Wigan under the ownership regime in the 1970’s.
Sadly, he says that he didn’t attend his close friend, Bill Ashurst’s, funeral because he didn’t feel confident about how he would be accepted. I’m unsure whether Green has attended any of the heritage games but he is surely someone that the club should try to bring back into the fold.
He gave those of us old enough to have watched Wigan in the seventies some fine memories when we didn’t have the greatest teams. He would surely receive a warm welcome from our fans.
Exactly this 😊
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Top talent, a rare bit of brightness in a difficult period for the club.
endoman

Post by endoman »

He'd be very well received I'm sure,
Stanfax

Post by Stanfax »

I know he's famous for scoring seven against Saints, but didn't he score a few in the preseason sevens at Central Park? And wasn't it on Grandstand? Or am I making that up?
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Forever Warrior wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:09 pm There’s a very interesting interview with Green Vigo in this week’s League Express. He talks about his background in South Africa before joining Wigan and opens up on his problems with alcohol later in his career. It was good to read that he gave up alcohol many years ago. It’s also apparent from the interview that he wasn’t treated too well by Wigan under the ownership regime in the 1970’s.
Sadly, he says that he didn’t attend his close friend, Bill Ashurst’s, funeral because he didn’t feel confident about how he would be accepted. I’m unsure whether Green has attended any of the heritage games but he is surely someone that the club should try to bring back into the fold. He gave those of us old enough to have watched Wigan in the seventies some fine memories when we didn’t have the greatest teams. He would surely receive a warm welcome from our fans.
I couldn’t agree more. Come on Rads see what you can do.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Stanfax wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 12:01 am I know he's famous for scoring seven against Saints, but didn't he score a few in the preseason sevens at Central Park? And wasn't it on Grandstand? Or am I making that up?
He scored a cracking hat trick against Leeds whilst playing against one of the best wingers of that generation- Atkinson.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 3:06 am
I couldn’t agree more. Come on Rads see what you can do.
I’ve spoken to Kris about this & they are already contacting Green Vigo as I replied to the opening poster via PM. Also sent you a pm 😊
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Euclid

Post by Euclid »

Green Vigo brought us great joy at a time the club was in dire straits.
I hope he can receive recognition for his efforts and achievements.
Forever Warrior

Post by Forever Warrior »

Good to hear that the club are making contact with Green. There are a number of players that played with him who attend the heritage round match. As mentioned, I ‘m sure he will be well received by players and fans.
Thanks for picking this up so quickly, Josie.