Interesting quote from Tomkins

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Mike
Site Admin

Re: Interesting quote from Tomkins

Post by Mike »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 3:29 pm
nathan_rugby wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 3:22 pm
Charriots Offiah wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 2:27 pm

They might not have but the premise still holds. What about school teachers then.
So Wane was wrong to instil some disciplinary and responsibility in the academy players?

If you listen to the podcast and understand the context of what was discussed you will understand.
Is that what you think because I certainly didn’t say that. I know Waney well and I am fully behind his methods and approach. Discipline and responsibilities are two of fundamental principles missing in modern Britain and on Remembrance Day it is fitting that we are discussing it.
Off topic...
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
pedro

Post by pedro »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:50 am
fozzieskem wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:27 am
Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:26 am Was listening to a snippet of Sam Tomkins on a podcast thing it was the high performance podcast when he was talking about Wane when coached the academy - he said when would say to them "i dont want good players, i want good people"

Now obviously he didn't mean it verbatim and Tomkins was using it to describe how Wane would instill them with qualities like cleaning up after yourself, thanking the groundsmen etc, but he then went on to say if you didnt do that you were dropped or out

I think when we talk about players of good nature winning out over talent at Wigan offers an insight into what they are trying to do with the dressing room
I've seen that written before about Wane and wigan it's a good ethos to have
Agreed and if you read Radlinkski's book he is deffo on the same page and personally labels himself as a hard worker over talent

however i think that in sport you always have to be mindful of talent vs worker
I spoke to Micky Higham a few weeks ago about the interview with Wane when he said it, he said thats why they always beat wire in the big games
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Mike wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 6:48 pm
nathan_rugby wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 3:22 pm

So Wane was wrong to instil some disciplinary and responsibility in the academy players?

If you listen to the podcast and understand the context of what was discussed you will understand.
Is that what you think because I certainly didn’t say that. I know Waney well and I am fully behind his methods and approach. Discipline and responsibilities are two of fundamental principles missing in modern Britain and on Remembrance Day it is fitting that we are discussing it.
Off topic...
Why?
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 12:20 am

Off topic...
Why?
Politics. Nothing to do with rugby. Risks ban as per site rules.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
mickali1

Post by mickali1 »

Mike wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:52 pm

Why?
How is it political??? It's just a statement of fact.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Off topic...
Why?
Not in my book Mike. Remembrance Day has nothing to do with politics and neither should it be. It is about those that gave their lives so that we could post on here.
valentino

Post by valentino »

medlocke wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:24 am
Dreamteam wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:58 am
medlocke wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:46 am It would explain why Sam Powell will never leave :shock:
It’s funny how when u read that quote you instantly think of Sam Powell😂. Oneil is gonna be at Leigh or something next year ain’t he
Probably, but it's ok because Sam Powell always picks up his dirty kegs n socks after each game :D
It seems our resident Sam Powell haters don’t hold much store with personal discipline and hygiene wonder if they are lik that at home.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 10:54 pm

Why?
Not in my book Mike. Remembrance Day has nothing to do with politics and neither should it be. It is about those that gave their lives so that we could post on here.
Thing is you were taking about the youth of today, not remembrance day. Locked.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐