Interesting quote from Tomkins

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Sutty

Re: Interesting quote from Tomkins

Post by Sutty »

This instilling of discipline, respect for those around you and your surroundings as well as respect for yourself gets instilled in players even before academy age. The lads on the Scholarship scheme are already being taught this and getting the fundamentals right. I think it's a great ethos to have and shows how things that the club see as important don't just apply to the first team, they filter all the way through the club. Certain methods and drills that are being picked up at international level are being coached to all the players right the way through to the young lads on the Scholarship program

Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Isn’t that what parents are supposed to do?
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 3:49 pm Isn’t that what parents are supposed to do?
Not everyone is fortunate enough to have good parents.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Just got to the part of the podcast he said “Tommy L is the best coach in rugby league and he isn’t even a coach yet”

Interesting
Sutty

Post by Sutty »

nathan_rugby wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 6:48 pm Just got to the part of the podcast he said “Tommy L is the best coach in rugby league and he isn’t even a coach yet”

Interesting
I've not listened to the podcast yet, but some people are just born to coach, if you know what I mean. In a similar way that (sort of) anyone can qualify to be a teacher, but not everyone can teach. Being able to form that honest, trusting and open relationship with those that you're trying to educate, whether on the pitch, in the gym or in the classroom is absolutely essential for a coach to succeed.

I've already seen things that have filtered down from the very top, through to the academy and scholarship players. And, listening to what other members of the coaching staff in the club are saying, I can't wait to see how Tommy settles in to his new role and what he can achieve.

Charriots Offiah

nathan_rugby wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 6:48 pm
Charriots Offiah wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 3:49 pm Isn’t that what parents are supposed to do?
They might not have but the premise still holds. What about school teachers then.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Sutty wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 1:56 pm
nathan_rugby wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 6:48 pm Just got to the part of the podcast he said “Tommy L is the best coach in rugby league and he isn’t even a coach yet”

Interesting
I've not listened to the podcast yet, but some people are just born to coach, if you know what I mean. In a similar way that (sort of) anyone can qualify to be a teacher, but not everyone can teach. Being able to form that honest, trusting and open relationship with those that you're trying to educate, whether on the pitch, in the gym or in the classroom is absolutely essential for a coach to succeed.

I've already seen things that have filtered down from the very top, through to the academy and scholarship players. And, listening to what other members of the coaching staff in the club are saying, I can't wait to see how Tommy settles in to his new role and what he can achieve.
100% agree.

Search for High Performance podcast and you’ll find it.

Such a great podcast.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 2:27 pm
They might not have but the premise still holds. What about school teachers then.
So Wane was wrong to instil some disciplinary and responsibility in the academy players?

If you listen to the podcast and understand the context of what was discussed you will understand.
Charriots Offiah

nathan_rugby wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 3:22 pm
Charriots Offiah wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 2:27 pm

So Wane was wrong to instil some disciplinary and responsibility in the academy players?

If you listen to the podcast and understand the context of what was discussed you will understand.
Is that what you think because I certainly didn’t say that. I know Waney well and I am fully behind his methods and approach. Discipline and responsibilities are two of fundamental principles missing in modern Britain and on Remembrance Day it is fitting that we are discussing it.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Two possible explanations for some comments on here:

1. Some are able to see only in 2 dimensions, and consequently think if a coach values personal qualities in his players then he musn't be bothered whether they can play or not.

or

2. They see an opportunity to be negative (again).

There's a valid discussion about the balance between skill and personality (Zak, Barrie Mac, Hastings), but we can only know a fraction of what the coach knows.

I was disappointed when Mossop appeared to be the fall guy following an incident at Haydock races iirc. Similarly Joel Tomkins and the apparent attempts a cover-up before the video became public. But we rarely know the full facts.
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐