Interesting quote from Tomkins

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wigan_forever1985

Interesting quote from Tomkins

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Was listening to a snippet of Sam Tomkins on a podcast thing it was the high performance podcast when he was talking about Wane when coached the academy - he said when would say to them "i dont want good players, i want good people"

Now obviously he didn't mean it verbatim and Tomkins was using it to describe how Wane would instill them with qualities like cleaning up after yourself, thanking the groundsmen etc, but he then went on to say if you didnt do that you were dropped or out

I think when we talk about players of good nature winning out over talent at Wigan offers an insight into what they are trying to do with the dressing room
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
medlocke

Re: Interesting quote from Tomkins

Post by medlocke »

It would explain why Sam Powell will never leave :shock:
Dreamteam

Post by Dreamteam »

medlocke wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:46 am It would explain why Sam Powell will never leave :shock:
It’s funny how when u read that quote you instantly think of Sam Powell😂. Oneil is gonna be at Leigh or something next year ain’t he
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:26 am Was listening to a snippet of Sam Tomkins on a podcast thing it was the high performance podcast when he was talking about Wane when coached the academy - he said when would say to them "i dont want good players, i want good people"

Now obviously he didn't mean it verbatim and Tomkins was using it to describe how Wane would instill them with qualities like cleaning up after yourself, thanking the groundsmen etc, but he then went on to say if you didnt do that you were dropped or out

I think when we talk about players of good nature winning out over talent at Wigan offers an insight into what they are trying to do with the dressing room
I've seen that written before about Wane and wigan it's a good ethos to have
Wigan_forever1985

fozzieskem wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:27 am
Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:26 am Was listening to a snippet of Sam Tomkins on a podcast thing it was the high performance podcast when he was talking about Wane when coached the academy - he said when would say to them "i dont want good players, i want good people"

Agreed and if you read Radlinkski's book he is deffo on the same page and personally labels himself as a hard worker over talent

however i think that in sport you always have to be mindful of talent vs worker
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:50 am

Agreed and if you read Radlinkski's book he is deffo on the same page and personally labels himself as a hard worker over talent

It's interesting that people take what they want out of statements :) would you want the most talented player in the world if they unsettled the squad as a whole? Look at Hastongs Time at wigan. He's a talent but the effect on the team overall?

Another look would be Wire throw money at Talent no caring about background or history and what has it got them?
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Dreamteam wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:58 am
medlocke wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:46 am It would explain why Sam Powell will never leave :shock:
It’s funny how when u read that quote you instantly think of Sam Powell😂. Oneil is gonna be at Leigh or something next year ain’t he
Probably, but it's ok because Sam Powell always picks up his dirty kegs n socks after each game :D
Dreamteam

Post by Dreamteam »

medlocke wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:24 am
Dreamteam wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:58 am
Probably, but it's ok because Sam Powell always picks up his dirty kegs n socks after each game :D
He’s always chipping in Sam. Does the stuff that goes unnoticed no doubt about it 😂😂
Wigan_forever1985

Caboosegg wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:14 am
Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:50 am

It's interesting that people take what they want out of statements :) would you want the most talented player in the world if they unsettled the squad as a whole? Look at Hastongs Time at wigan. He's a talent but the effect on the team overall?

Another look would be Wire throw money at Talent no caring about background or history and what has it got them?
I think its about striking that balance isnt it. You have to keep within the lines, i mean you look at hasting and yes disruptive - do we make it to the Grand final without him that year - probably not.

You have to define a player that's disruptive from challenging. All the top top sportsmen and women are challenging they will demand a level from their teammates and environment and sometimes that can upset people - personally i dont have a probably with that. On the other hand someone who is needlessly disruptive no matter how talented shouldn't be in there

on the flipside

you need your calming influences in the dressing room but you dont want it when nice guys get in simply for being nice and it becomes too "friendly". A squad should be teammates and willing to fight for eachother but there should be a respect around that you have to earn that place week in week out. Too friendly dressing rooms become those "automatic pick" situations in which teams soon slip away from the sharp end.

I think the master of this in any sport has probably been Pep - he always has a team full of stars but they never seem to stray into disruption.
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

I think the master of this in any sport has probably been Pep - he always has a team full of stars but they never seem to stray into disruption.
[/quote]

i think its a little easier when you are on over 100k per week and sat on the bench though, it softens the blow of not playing somewhat. Had a quick look at some of the salaries and based on what i can see on google 14 players at City on over 100k per week (16 at Utd for same figure)

what i would say is that Pep is probably getting better value per player based on salary than they are at Utd as Utd's wage bill is eye watering