Powell granted Testimonial year

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Powell granted Testimonial year

Post by josie andrews »

After 10 years of service to Wigan Warriors and Rugby League Sam Powell has been granted a Testimonial year by the RFL for 2023.

As part of his Testimonial year, Powell will lead out his hometown Club in a pre-season friendly against Salford Red Devils at the DW Stadium on Sunday 5th February (3pm K.O.). This will be the Warriors’ final pre-season fixture ahead of the 2023 campaign and the game will see the full first team squad involved. Ticket details can be found HERE. The pre-season friendly will be the first public event of the year with other events planned for throughout 2023.

Powell will also launch his own Testimonial shirt soon, which will be worn for the game against Salford and will be available to buy from our Club store.

The 30-year-old hooker is a one-Club man since arriving at the Wigan Academy from Wigan St Patricks ARLFC at the age of 16.

Earning the Heritage Number 1041 after making his try-scoring debut against Hull FC in 2012, Powell has cemented himself as a regular in the Wigan hooker position.

Winning five major honours so far, Powell made his 250th appearance for the Club in Wigan’s final game of 2022 and he has scored 40 tries overall. His honours include two Super League Grand Finals (2016 and 2018), a World Club Challenge (2017) and two League Leaders’ Shields (2012 and 2020).

Powell has also represented England, featuring for the Knights team and most recently the senior side – making his debut against Fiji in a World Cup warm-up match in September this year.

After signing a new two-year deal with Wigan in 2022, which will see him stay at the Club at least until the end of 2024, Powell will celebrate his Testimonial year in his 11th season as a Rugby League professional.

On being granted his Testimonial year, Powell said: “It’s going to be a special year for me, my family and friends. This will be my 11th season coming up and to spend such a long time at a special Club like Wigan is a real achievement.

“When I signed my last contract, I mentioned how important the Club is to me and my family. I’m very grateful for how supportive Rads and his staff have been.

“I will have a game against Salford on Sunday 5th February at the DW Stadium. To have the game at home is great and I hope all our fans get behind it. It’s going to be a special year.

“I’m very grateful for the committee I’ve got in place. They’ll be the backbone of this year being successful. My first job is to play well for Wigan. I’ll rip in when I get back in pre-season and I’m hoping it will be a very successful year.

“I hope the fans buy into it; I really appreciate the support. I was a fan before I started playing so I know what it’s like. A massive thank you to all my old teammates, staff and coaches – back in my amateur days too. My wife Ria has been on the journey with me. I’m hoping this season is going to be great.”

Executive Director, Kris Radlinski: “As a Club we are very proud to support Sam in his benefit year.

“From the moment Sam joined us as a young lad, he has never taken his position within the Club for granted. He brings an outstanding attitude and worth ethic to our training centre every day. This type of commitment and endeavour has not gone unnoticed by his teammates and staff which is why he is so respected.

“Sam is an unassuming character but I will be encouraging him to enjoy and embrace the events and subsequent plaudits that come his way.”

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2022/11/ ... nial-year/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Powell granted Testimonial year

Post by josie andrews »

Hospitality: Sam Powell’s Testimonial

Hospitality Packages for Wigan Warriors’ pre-season friendly against Salford Red Devils are now available to buy.

In what will be Sam Powell’s Testimonial game after his 10 years of service to his hometown Club, Wigan will host Salford at the DW Stadium in their final pre-season friendly on Sunday 5th February (3pm K.O.).

It will be the last run-out for the Warriors ahead of the new season with the full first team squad involved.

Hospitality Packages are now available and are listed below. Book your place today!

Uncle Joe’s Cherry & White’s Lounge – £40 pp

1 course meal
Executive padded seat
Pre-match interviews with Warriors Players
Post-match talk with players from the match
Full bar facilities
Raffle

Third Floor Lounge (Westwood Motors or Carling Lounge) – £80 pp

3 course meal
Executive padded seat
Pre-match interviews with Warriors players
Post-match talk with Sam Powell or Man of the Match
Waitress bar service for your drinks
Raffle

President’s Suite (table of 8 guests) – (4 tables available) £795

3 course meal
Executive padded seat
Full bar facilities
Raffle

Executive Boxes – (up to 8 or 10 guests) £995

3 course meal
Executive padded seat
Full bar facilities
Raffle

Please note the DW Stadium is now a cashless stadium.

Normal match tickets for the West Stand (unreserved) are also available to buy. Click HERE for the full details.

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2022/11/ ... stimonial/
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Well done to SLs 12th best hooker.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Caboosegg wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 12:50 pm Well done to SLs 12th best hooker.
Stop this for God’s sake! He deserves a testimonial if just being loyal to one club!!

They hand out testimonials like candy to anyone now who has actually played for 10 years even if the said player has played for 10 separate clubs!

And money raised from this & other events throughout the year goes to worthy causes.
Dreamteam

Post by Dreamteam »

Caboosegg wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 12:50 pm Well done to SLs 12th best hooker.
Read this as super leagues best hooker at first