Warriors make £1.8m loss in 2021

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wigan_forever1985

Re: Warriors make £1.8m loss in 2021

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

I still think the biggest threat to crowd sizes is the playoffs

The league games just don't have any significance as the league position is pretty much irrelevant. At times when people are going to have to drop things that are luxuries there is no need to go watch Wigan vs Wakefield on a cold Thursday night when the outcome of the match will have no stakes, no intensity and both teams will have 4-6 players "injured"

I'm not saying that crowds would increase exponentially but at least you could see a game that contributed to something, its too easy to make the argument to skip season games
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:57 am I still think the biggest threat to crowd sizes is the playoffs

The league games just don't have any significance as the league position is pretty much irrelevant. At times when people are going to have to drop things that are luxuries there is no need to go watch Wigan vs Wakefield on a cold Thursday night when the outcome of the match will have no stakes, no intensity and both teams will have 4-6 players "injured"

I'm not saying that crowds would increase exponentially but at least you could see a game that contributed to something, its too easy to make the argument to skip season games
You’re right,the biggest issue is the grand final and the play offs before it,the league is fairly meaningless in the grand scheme of things which is ridiculous when you think about it,they slog all the way through the summer and for what Mike sure you’re in the top 6 and it’s a-ok there has to be a better way of making the league meaningful.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

If we continue to post loses will Wigan still be a SL club in 5 -10 years?
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

fozzieskem wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:15 pm
Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:57 am I still think the biggest threat to crowd sizes is the playoffs

You’re right,the biggest issue is the grand final and the play offs before it,the league is fairly meaningless in the grand scheme of things which is ridiculous when you think about it,they slog all the way through the summer and for what Mike sure you’re in the top 6 and it’s a-ok there has to be a better way of making the league meaningful.
this, and the regular chopping and changing of fixture dates / days. if i remember correctly Wigan had re-arranged 2 games last year. i think HKR changed from Friday to Sunday (wigans choice) and was going to be a fans day, to then be swapped about a week and half before the game to a Thursday night. Massive impact on physical attendance ( i reckon 5-6k. i know the club will record ST holders as being there), corporate sponsorship cancelled and subsequent revenue and so on
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Playing devils advocate, and I know it isn't a direct comparison, but the play-off systems work very very well in the big 4 american sports don't they? Or is part of this because the leagues are divided up by region and then the play-offs are the best teams from each region? (Which is something we wouldn't ever do).

I do agree though that the lack of emphasis and importance on winning the league will to some degree impact dwindling crowds.

A couple of things they could do are:
- 1st place goes directly to the final
- System so you have to beat everyone above you in the league to eventually win the GF

I think where we struggle in comparison to the Football is that the higher up the Prem you finish, the more prize money you get & there is the Champions League qualification. If the Prem had a similar play-off system, whilst a team winning from 5th would be possible, they may not qualify for Champions League and wouldn't get as much prize money.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

nathan_rugby wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:15 pm

Playing devils advocate, and I know it isn't a direct comparison, but the play-off systems work very very well in the big 4 american sports don't they? Or is part of this because the leagues are divided up by region and then the play-offs are the best teams from each region? (Which is something we wouldn't ever do).

I do agree though that the lack of emphasis and importance on winning the league will to some degree impact dwindling crowds.

A couple of things they could do are:
- 1st place goes directly to the final
- System so you have to beat everyone above you in the league to eventually win the GF

I think where we struggle in comparison to the Football is that the higher up the Prem you finish, the more prize money you get & there is the Champions League qualification. If the Prem had a similar play-off system, whilst a team winning from 5th would be possible, they may not qualify for Champions League and wouldn't get as much prize money.
I agree with you,1st should go to the grand final automatically followed as you say by 2nd v 3rd,it’s not perfect by any means but better than the current system which to me rewards timing not the best team as we all saw by Leeds’s run to the grand final.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

josie andrews wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:30 am
Charriots Offiah wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:10 am
josie andrews wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:23 am

Yes!
Ok, does that mean it can't be posted?
No, I don’t say that, but unless members on here subscribe to the link you posted they won’t be able to read the report so really that link is a waste!
I don't subscribe and I could read it.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

They don't go to the playoffs either. Crowd size is way down compared to league matches.

Anyway. These figures were covid affected. They weren't from last season. Most of not all of the losses were offset by government loans with unknown repayment terms (unknown to me anyway). If we lose a million quid this year then things look bleak, but we'll have to wait for those figures.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

Wigan
https://find-and-update.company-informa ... ng-history

Just to compare, here's Saints
https://find-and-update.company-informa ... ng-history

Not pleasant reading for either club.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:20 pm
josie andrews wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:30 am
Charriots Offiah wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:10 am

Ok, does that mean it can't be posted?
No, I don’t say that, but unless members on here subscribe to the link you posted they won’t be able to read the report so really that link is a waste!
I don't subscribe and I could read it.
So you assumed everyone else could?

If that was the case, why did you not post the whole story in case others on here can’t!

I couldn’t read it from your link & I would suspect the majority on here wouldn’t have been able to either, just the headline!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan