Wigan Warriors Boss lauds development of Sean O’Loughlin as a coach

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Wigan Warriors Boss lauds development of Sean O’Loughlin as a coach

Post by josie andrews »

MATT PEET has been impressed by one performer in particular so far in pre-season – Sean O’Loughlin.

Wigan Warriors are preparing for their second campaign with Peet as head coach and he will again be assisted by O’Loughlin, who joined the Wigan staff following his playing retirement at the end of 2020, while he also was awarded an OBE earlier this year.

Peet’s other right-hand man next year will be Thomas Leuluai, who called time on his own career after the 2022 season and replaced Brisbane Broncos-bound Lee Briers on the coaching staff.

According to Peet, one former Warriors skipper has been helping another make his start in the coaching game as well as showing his own progression.

He said of O’Loughlin: “He’s developing as a coach and as a leader. He’s had a couple of years coaching now and I’ve really seen great things from him in pre-season.

“He’s grown in confidence; he’s understanding his role more and more each day.

“He’s put his arm around Tommy and shown him the ropes. Tommy has a great understanding of the game but Lockers is guiding him in the right direction.”

Peet added that O’Loughlin’s success as a coach, as in his playing days, has come about largely through hard work.

“He had the knowledge and love for the game and the respect of the players, but a lot of people have had that and not worked hard,” said Peet.

“People can turn their noses up when players step straight into coaching roles, but they’re probably not aware of how much they’ve been doing behind the scenes to prepare.”

Leuluai has big shoes to fill in replacing Briers, who in one season at Wigan turned Super League’s least prolific attack into its best. But Peet insists that the mark of the Warrington Wolves legend will long be felt at the DW Stadium.

“Some of the drills we do in training are what he brought in, and some of our plays,” he added.

“Our players have learned immensely from him; people like Harry Smith and Jai learned off him and I’ve learned off him.

“That doesn’t go away. He’s left a good impression here and we keep in touch with him. I hope he kills it over there and I’m sure he will.”

https://12ft.io/proxy?q=https%3A%2F%2Fw ... a-coach%2F
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Firestarter

Re: Wigan Warriors Boss lauds development of Sean O’Loughlin as a coach

Post by Firestarter »

Makes you wonder why brisbane went for briers instead of lockers and tommy mmmm
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

Firestarter wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:43 am Makes you wonder why brisbane went for briers instead of lockers and tommy mmmm
not really as Briers was due to go to Oz prior to coming to Wigan

there's no doubt Briers was a fantastic addition to the coaching staff last year, and only time will tell if / how much we miss him this year

Lockers may go to Oz, but he may also choose to stay at home as he did for his playing career. No shame in that as he was highly regarded by players and coaches in SL and the NRL
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Firestarter wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:43 am Makes you wonder why brisbane went for briers instead of lockers and tommy mmmm
It doesn’t.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

the pieman wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:11 am
not really as Briers was due to go to Oz prior to coming to Wigan

there's no doubt Briers was a fantastic addition to the coaching staff last year, and only time will tell if / how much we miss him this year

Lockers may go to Oz, but he may also choose to stay at home as he did for his playing career. No shame in that as he was highly regarded by players and coaches in SL and the NRL
It wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest if Briers wasn’t coming home quicker than we may think if laughing boy Powell gets the push this season.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

nathan_rugby wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:13 am
It doesn’t.
I was obviously being sarcastic
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

I wonder how much he will be praising him when he takes his job?
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

medlocke wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:22 pm I wonder how much he will be praising him when he takes his job?
thats probably the plan anyway, and any good manager should be looking to move on and better themselves after a period of time anyway (in business or sport)

Wigan will have a succession plan in place for Matty Peet already (which he was probably involved in and identifying his successor). Note this could change if Matty Peet should fail, and then there is an external appointment if the successor isnt considered ready