Pearce-Paul to leave Wigan

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Mike
Site Admin

Re: Pearce-Paul to leave Wigan

Post by Mike »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 3:12 pm
Mike wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:24 pm
No straw damn us wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:59 am Saints in the last few years have lost Thompson, Grace, Bentley, Savellio, Simm, Costello, Greenwood, Richardson and probably a few more fringe players who we tend to forget. I remember Levy Nzoungou who was going to be the next big prop at Saints but went off to Aus but never did anything over there.
ANd FAge
I didn’t know that he had come through their junior ranks.
Oh I lost track, though it was a list of players saints have lost over the years. They didn't want Fage to go by all accounts.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 3:11 pm
No straw damn us wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:59 am Saints in the last few years have lost Thompson, Grace, Bentley, Savellio, Simm, Costello, Greenwood, Richardson and probably a few more fringe players who we tend to forget. I remember Levy Nzoungou who was going to be the next big prop at Saints but went off to Aus but never did anything over there.
Apart from Thompson I wouldn’t have any of those in my team. They have managed to retain Welsby, Makinson, Percival, Lomax, Dodd, Roby, Lees and Knowles which have been the nucleus of their squad whilst at the same time we have lost Tomkins, Davies, Gildart, Burgess, Williams, Sutton, Bateman, KPP. Tomkins J.!
You could argue in a similar period Wigan have managed to keep O'Loughlin, Smithies, Smith, Havard, Byrne, Farrell etc?
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

No straw damn us wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:31 am
Apart from Thompson I wouldn’t have any of those in my team. They have managed to retain Welsby, Makinson, Percival, Lomax, Dodd, Roby, Lees and Knowles which have been the nucleus of their squad whilst at the same time we have lost Tomkins, Davies, Gildart, Burgess, Williams, Sutton, Bateman, KPP. Tomkins J.!
You could argue in a similar period Wigan have managed to keep O'Loughlin, Smithies, Smith, Havard, Byrne, Farrell etc?
You could but you could also argue that Saints have had more success recently which I don't believe they would have done if Wigan's retention rate had been higher.
No straw damn us

Charriots Offiah wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:55 am

You could but you could also argue that Saints have had more success recently which I don't believe they would have done if Wigan's retention rate had been higher.
They've also got a team with eight or nine 30 - 37 year olds in it. Let's see how they go in the next two or three years?
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

No straw damn us wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:02 pm

They've also got a team with eight or nine 30 - 37 year olds in it. Let's see how they go in the next two or three years?
Yes but it doesn’t take away the trophies they have won.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

You could argue that Saints have done better at retaining players because of their greater success.
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

morley pie eater wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:12 pm

You could argue that Saints have done better at retaining players because of their greater success.
Its a virtuous cycle. But if you get a group of players that leave all at the same time the wheels can fall off. Happened to us and to leeds. Hopefully its their turn in 1-2 years time.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Mike wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:28 pm

Its a virtuous cycle. But if you get a group of leave all at the same time the wheels can fall off. Happened to us and to leeds. Hopefully its their turn in 1-2 years time.
Can’t come soon enough!! Doing my head in them winning it all the time!
No straw damn us

Barney841 wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:00 pm
Mike wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:28 pm

Its a virtuous cycle. But if you get a group of leave all at the same time the wheels can fall off. Happened to us and to leeds. Hopefully its their turn in 1-2 years time.
Can’t come soon enough!! Doing my head in them winning it all the time!
It happens in all sports.
I remember Boston, Ashton, McTigue. Edwards, Offiah, Bell etc.
The great teams at Leeds and Bradford.
Saints with Scully, Long and Cunningham.

Some players are so influential, their influence is almost immeasurable.
pedro

Post by pedro »

you could as Leeds did it with their golden era also