Pearce-Paul to leave Wigan

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Dreamteam

Re: Pearce-Paul to leave Wigan

Post by Dreamteam »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:59 pm
NICKYKISS wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:51 pm It’s the wing situation all over again. We had Davies, Manfredi, Burgess and Marshall at one point and worried how to fit them all in and within no time had just Marshall left.

Last year we started with Bateman, Farrell, KPP, Isa, Nicholson and McDonnell. There’s every chance that come the start of 2023 we’ll have just Farrell left. That’s a poor situation to find yourself in and whilst I have some sympathy at what would seem a situation beyond their control with Bateman, losing all 3 of the young lads is not a good look.
Losing federation players, especially the young guns, is a nightmare. They are very difficult to replace. I’ve stated on this forum before that any club that allows this to continually happen will soon find itself in decline. There is much work to do behind the scenes, I can live with KPP going to the NRL but to lose Nicholson and McDonald to SL rivals is unforgivable. Added to that, when you are carrying a number of average non-federation players the problem increases dramatically.
McDonnell is bang average. Only just had first first proper season and it was in a super team
In the championship. Can’t afford to be wasting cap space on players like him if he gets a better offer from Leeds when we’ve got someone coming up in his position with more potential. Put it into perspective, he’s the same age as smith smithies and havard. Compare those 3 players to him
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Dreamteam wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:57 pm
NICKYKISS wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:51 pm It’s the wing situation all over again. We had Davies, Manfredi, Burgess and Marshall at one point and worried how to fit them all in and within no time had just Marshall left.

Last year we started with Bateman, Farrell, KPP, Isa, Nicholson and McDonnell. There’s every chance that come the start of 2023 we’ll have just Farrell left. That’s a poor situation to find yourself in and whilst I have some sympathy at what would seem a situation beyond their control with Bateman, losing all 3 of the young lads is not a good look.
Losing federation players, especially the young guns, is a nightmare. They are very difficult to replace. I’ve stated on this forum before that any club that allows this to continually happen will soon find itself in decline. There is much work to do behind the scenes, I can live with KPP going to the NRL but to lose Nicholson and McDonald to SL rivals is unforgivable. Added to that, when you are carrying a number of average non-federation players the problem increases dramatically.
McDonnell is bang average. Only just had first first proper season and it was in a super team
In the championship. Can’t afford to be wasting cap space on players like him if he gets a better offer from Leeds when we’ve got someone coming up in his position with more potential. Put it into perspective, he’s the same age as smith smithies and havard. Compare those 3 players to him
I know where you are coming from but the club is hemorraging home grown talent and they need to stop it happening. Wigan tried to retain Nicholson, McDonald and KPP and others before them and failed miserably, that cannot continue to happen if we are to become a dominant force in the game.
Dreamteam

Post by Dreamteam »

:ugeek:
Charriots Offiah wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:13 pm

I know where you are coming from but the club is hemorraging home grown talent and they need to stop it happening. Wigan tried to retain Nicholson, McDonald and KPP and others before them and failed miserably, that cannot continue to happen if we are to become a dominant force in the game.
Players don’t want to sit behind bateman and faz unfortunately which will obviously be changing. You can’t drop a marquee player and you can’t drop faz so you may as well chance your arm somewhere else and get a better deal like nicholson probably did. That shouldn’t be the case for the other lads coming through now tho. The positives is that the quality of players coming through are always significantly better than anyone else’s
Charriots Offiah

Dreamteam wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:29 pm :ugeek:

Players don’t want to sit behind bateman and faz unfortunately which will obviously be changing. You can’t drop a marquee player and you can’t drop faz so you may as well chance your arm somewhere else and get a better deal like nicholson probably did. That shouldn’t be the case for the other lads coming through now tho. The positives is that the quality of players coming through are always significantly better than anyone else’s
We may produce better juniors than other teams but that has not been reflected in terms of success. You can drop a marquee player and you should if he is not performing as well as someone else. We need to stop signing average non-federation players and pay our juniors more. If we had retained the players that have come through our ranks over the last ten years, or so, and complemented them with two or three good overseas stars I am sure we would have filled the trophy cabinet. I am sad to say that Saints have got it right and our management has not.
Dreamteam

Post by Dreamteam »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:30 am
Dreamteam wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:29 pm :ugeek:

We may produce better juniors than other teams but that has not been reflected in terms of success. You can drop a marquee player and you should if he is not performing as well as someone else. We need to stop signing average non-federation players and pay our juniors more. If we had retained the players that have come through our ranks over the last ten years, or so, and complemented them with two or three good overseas stars I am sure we would have filled the trophy cabinet. I am sad to say that Saints have got it right and our management has not.
I think you underestimate how hard it is. Even now saints recruit more lads from Wigan than they actually do from st Helen’s. Every wigan club tends to have one age group around that age that are a very good team. It’s impossible for us to recruit all the best talents and then also keep hold of them when there’s better ones as well in places like Cumbria and barrow. Along the way you’re gonna miss out on good players and when some of them don’t see a path into the squad anytime soon they’ll move elsewhere
Wes

Post by Wes »

Saints have a good blend but they still fill the quota, I’m certain if needed next year we could sign a better over seas player than KPP.

He’s an excellent prospect but he still is a prospect, good offload and rangy but not thick set enough to do it week in week out in the NRL in my humble opinion.

Losing Bateman if true is a much bigger loss, can do it in the big games and has that mongrel about him where he can handle the bigger lads.

Isa is bang average, his quota spot needs to be used a lot better when his time is up.
The Pearl1

Post by The Pearl1 »

Wes wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:41 am Saints have a good blend but they still fill the quota, I’m certain if needed next year we could sign a better over seas player than KPP.

He’s an excellent prospect but he still is a prospect, good offload and rangy but not thick set enough to do it week in week out in the NRL in my humble opinion.

Losing Bateman if true is a much bigger loss, can do it in the big games and has that mongrel about him where he can handle the bigger lads.

Isa is bang average, his quota spot needs to be used a lot better when his time is up.
Bar Field and French all our quota players are bang average.

Cust is fine nothing more.

Ellis is bang average with poor lateral movement in defence

Mago great going forward but liability in defence when the game gets fast.

Miski is slow and bad finisher.

Field and French aren’t in the NRL due to their smaller size. The others aren’t in there because they don’t have the talent.

Hopefully they improve
doc

Post by doc »

A tad unfair on Miski there. Did well for Lebanon in the WC and bar his debut nightmare vs Toulouse has generally performed OK when called on. Think he needs a bit of a run of games to see what he is really like.
Dreamteam

Post by Dreamteam »

doc wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:58 am A tad unfair on Miski there. Did well for Lebanon in the WC and bar his debut nightmare vs Toulouse has generally performed OK when called on. Think he needs a bit of a run of games to see what he is really like.
He is right tho. He’s always gonna be slow. He’s always gonna be a bad finisher because of it. His meters out of ours own half are good so he’s a good squad player to fill in for the lesser games but just a waste of the quota space really
Charriots Offiah

Wes wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:41 am Saints have a good blend but they still fill the quota, I’m certain if needed next year we could sign a better over seas player than KPP.

We made a choice, kept Isa lost Nicholson. A bad bit of business in my view.