Pearce-Paul to leave Wigan

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Charriots Offiah

Re: Pearce-Paul to leave Wigan

Post by Charriots Offiah »

The Pearl1 wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:45 am
Wes wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:41 am Saints have a good blend but they still fill the quota, I’m certain if needed next year we could sign a better over seas player than KPP.

He’s an excellent prospect but he still is a prospect, good offload and rangy but not thick set enough to do it week in week out in the NRL in my humble opinion.

Losing Bateman if true is a much bigger loss, can do it in the big games and has that mongrel about him where he can handle the bigger lads.

Isa is bang average, his quota spot needs to be used a lot better when his time is up.
Bar Field and French all our quota players are bang average.

Cust is fine nothing more.

Ellis is bang average with poor lateral movement in defence

Mago great going forward but liability in defence when the game gets fast.

Miski is slow and bad finisher.

Field and French aren’t in the NRL due to their smaller size. The others aren’t in there because they don’t have the talent.

Hopefully they improve
Non-federation players should not be seen as squad members it is a waste of the salary cap and bad management.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Dreamteam wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:33 am
Charriots Offiah wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:30 am
Dreamteam wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:29 pm :ugeek:

Players don’t want to sit behind bateman and faz unfortunately which will obviously be changing. You can’t drop a marquee player and you can’t drop faz so you may as well chance your arm somewhere else and get a better deal like nicholson probably did. That shouldn’t be the case for the other lads coming through now tho. The positives is that the quality of players coming through are always significantly better than anyone else’s
We may produce better juniors than other teams but that has not been reflected in terms of success. You can drop a marquee player and you should if he is not performing as well as someone else. We need to stop signing average non-federation players and pay our juniors more. If we had retained the players that have come through our ranks over the last ten years, or so, and complemented them with two or three good overseas stars I am sure we would have filled the trophy cabinet. I am sad to say that Saints have got it right and our management has not.
I think you underestimate how hard it is. Even now saints recruit more lads from Wigan than they actually do from st Helen’s. Every wigan club tends to have one age group around that age that are a very good team. It’s impossible for us to recruit all the best talents and then also keep hold of them when there’s better ones as well in places like Cumbria and barrow. Along the way you’re gonna miss out on good players and when some of them don’t see a path into the squad anytime soon they’ll move elsewhere
Like I said, it is not hard for Saints to retain good young players. Apart from Thompson who have they lost? We are losing them on a regular basis something is wrong. By the way, Nicholson went for the money not the opportunity.
Dreamteam

Post by Dreamteam »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:25 am

We may produce better juniors than other teams but that has not been reflected in terms of success. You can drop a marquee player and you should if he is not performing as well as someone else. We need to stop signing average non-federation players and pay our juniors more. If we had retained the players that have come through our ranks over the last ten years, or so, and complemented them with two or three good overseas stars I am sure we would have filled the trophy cabinet. I am sad to say that Saints have got it right and our management has not.
I think you underestimate how hard it is. Even now saints recruit more lads from Wigan than they actually do from st Helen’s. Every wigan club tends to have one age group around that age that are a very good team. It’s impossible for us to recruit all the best talents and then also keep hold of them when there’s better ones as well in places like Cumbria and barrow. Along the way you’re gonna miss out on good players and when some of them don’t see a path into the squad anytime soon they’ll move elsewhere
Like I said, it is not hard for Saints to retain good young players. Apart from Thompson who have they lost? We are losing them on a regular basis something is wrong. By the way, Nicholson went for the money not the opportunity.
He probably did. But if Nicholson was still here this season I’d put good money on him not playing a single minute this season as well. Peet would have isa in front of him every day of the week. We’ve got double the amount of young players who have come through our system in the 17 than saints do as well
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

Saints in the last few years have lost Thompson, Grace, Bentley, Savellio, Simm, Costello, Greenwood, Richardson and probably a few more fringe players who we tend to forget. I remember Levy Nzoungou who was going to be the next big prop at Saints but went off to Aus but never did anything over there.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Dreamteam wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:29 pm :ugeek:

Players don’t want to sit behind bateman and faz unfortunately which will obviously be changing. You can’t drop a marquee player and you can’t drop faz so you may as well chance your arm somewhere else and get a better deal like nicholson probably did. That shouldn’t be the case for the other lads coming through now tho. The positives is that the quality of players coming through are always significantly better than anyone else’s
Wigan also look elsewhere. There isn't a rule that says our Academy can only be built from local Wigan amateur clubs.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Dreamteam wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:37 am

He probably did. But if Nicholson was still here this season I’d put good money on him not playing a single minute this season as well. Peet would have isa in front of him every day of the week. We’ve got double the amount of young players who have come through our system in the 17 than saints do as well
Talking absolute wet.
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:13 pm
Dreamteam wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:57 pm
Charriots Offiah wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:59 pm

Losing federation players, especially the young guns, is a nightmare. They are very difficult to replace. I’ve stated on this forum before that any club that allows this to continually happen will soon find itself in decline. There is much work to do behind the scenes, I can live with KPP going to the NRL but to lose Nicholson and McDonald to SL rivals is unforgivable. Added to that, when you are carrying a number of average non-federation players the problem increases dramatically.
I can see KPP struggling with his speed playing in the NRL, for me he has never been able to get away from the defence when he makes the initial break.

McDonnell is bang average. Only just had first first proper season and it was in a super team
In the championship. Can’t afford to be wasting cap space on players like him if he gets a better offer from Leeds when we’ve got someone coming up in his position with more potential. Put it into perspective, he’s the same age as smith smithies and havard. Compare those 3 players to him
I know where you are coming from but the club is hemorraging home grown talent and they need to stop it happening. Wigan tried to retain Nicholson, McDonald and KPP and others before them and failed miserably, that cannot continue to happen if we are to become a dominant force in the game.
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
Dreamteam

Post by Dreamteam »

nathan_rugby wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:16 pm

Talking absolute wet.
There evidence to support my claim. Why was isa in front of Nicholson last season. Why couldn’t he play a single minute except when we rested half our squad vs Huddersfield?
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Dreamteam wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:57 pm

Talking absolute wet.
There evidence to support my claim. Why was isa in front of Nicholson last season. Why couldn’t he play a single minute except when we rested half our squad vs Huddersfield?
Maybe Peet thought he just needed more time to develop?

Just because that was last years stance doesn’t mean it would be exactly the same this year.
Dreamteam

Post by Dreamteam »

nathan_rugby wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:18 pm
Dreamteam wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:57 pm

Talking absolute wet.
Maybe Peet thought he just needed more time to develop?

Just because that was last years stance doesn’t mean it would be exactly the same this year.
Looked pretty good when I watched him at wire last season. Definitely based alone on the player that was playing for an awful wire team he was already a step ahead of isa in every aspect