Pearce-Paul to leave Wigan

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Mike
Site Admin

Re: Pearce-Paul to leave Wigan

Post by Mike »

No straw damn us wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:59 am Saints in the last few years have lost Thompson, Grace, Bentley, Savellio, Simm, Costello, Greenwood, Richardson and probably a few more fringe players who we tend to forget. I remember Levy Nzoungou who was going to be the next big prop at Saints but went off to Aus but never did anything over there.
ANd FAge
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

No straw damn us wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:59 am Saints in the last few years have lost Thompson, Grace, Bentley, Savellio, Simm, Costello, Greenwood, Richardson and probably a few more fringe players who we tend to forget. I remember Levy Nzoungou who was going to be the next big prop at Saints but went off to Aus but never did anything over there.
Apart from Thompson I wouldn’t have any of those in my team. They have managed to retain Welsby, Makinson, Percival, Lomax, Dodd, Roby, Lees and Knowles which have been the nucleus of their squad whilst at the same time we have lost Tomkins, Davies, Gildart, Burgess, Williams, Sutton, Bateman, KPP. Tomkins J.!
Charriots Offiah

Mike wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:24 pm
ANd FAge
I didn’t know that he had come through their junior ranks.
Dreamteam

Post by Dreamteam »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 3:12 pm
Mike wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:24 pm
ANd FAge
I didn’t know that he had come through their junior ranks.
I’m taking dodd over fages over him every day of the week anyway. Only 20. Would have been starting for England I reckon if not injured. Definitely saints best talent
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Dreamteam wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:37 am
Charriots Offiah wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:25 am
Dreamteam wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:33 am

I think you underestimate how hard it is. Even now saints recruit more lads from Wigan than they actually do from st Helen’s. Every wigan club tends to have one age group around that age that are a very good team. It’s impossible for us to recruit all the best talents and then also keep hold of them when there’s better ones as well in places like Cumbria and barrow. Along the way you’re gonna miss out on good players and when some of them don’t see a path into the squad anytime soon they’ll move elsewhere
Like I said, it is not hard for Saints to retain good young players. Apart from Thompson who have they lost? We are losing them on a regular basis something is wrong. By the way, Nicholson went for the money not the opportunity.
He probably did. But if Nicholson was still here this season I’d put good money on him not playing a single minute this season as well. Peet would have isa in front of him every day of the week. We’ve got double the amount of young players who have come through our system in the 17 than saints do as well
I think Isa get’s regular game time as Peet trusts him and he’s a solid player in defence.
Sometimes I think you’ve got to throw caution to the wind and play the younger player, good game experience for them which you can only get by playing if you think there ready or not
Charriots Offiah

Barney841 wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:46 pm
Charriots Offiah wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:25 am

Like I said, it is not hard for Saints to retain good young players. Apart from Thompson who have they lost? We are losing them on a regular basis something is wrong. By the way, Nicholson went for the money not the opportunity.
He probably did. But if Nicholson was still here this season I’d put good money on him not playing a single minute this season as well. Peet would have isa in front of him every day of the week. We’ve got double the amount of young players who have come through our system in the 17 than saints do as well
I think Isa get’s regular game time as Peet trusts him and he’s a solid player in defence.
Sometimes I think you’ve got to throw caution to the wind and play the younger player, good game experience for them which you can only get by playing if you think there ready or not
That’s what Wayne Bennett has done throughout his career and probably why he has been so successful.
Wes

Post by Wes »

[/quote]

[/quote]

I think his defence is awful to be fair, shoots out of the line far too often and this season 397tackles in 20 games with 42 missed is nothing to shout home about.

He’s easy to read for defenders and very rarely breaks the line, awful set of hands when he’s at centre too.

When his times up we really need to do better with his quota spot and sign some quality.
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Wes wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 6:33 pm
[/quote]

I think his defence is awful to be fair, shoots out of the line far too often and this season 397tackles in 20 games with 42 missed is nothing to shout home about.

He’s easy to read for defenders and very rarely breaks the line, awful set of hands when he’s at centre too.

When his times up we really need to do better with his quota spot and sign some quality.
[/quote]

So he averages 20 tackles and 2 missed every game.
Hard to please if you think that’s awful
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 6:22 pm

That’s what Wayne Bennett has done throughout his career and probably why he has been so successful.
No offence but the calibre of player at his disposal was better than what we’ve got
Dreamteam

Post by Dreamteam »

Barney841 wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 6:52 pm
Charriots Offiah wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 6:22 pm

No offence but the calibre of player at his disposal was better than what we’ve got
Bennett made some massive decisions at Brisbane and turned them into a juggernaut. Pretty sure he left Brisbane early to go to the dragons where he was very successful as well, ( they’ve been abysmal since ). He made some massive decisions on key players along the way and even at the rabbits when they let reynolds go for young ilias