“It’s great to be back at Wigan Warriors” – Star returns to former club for special event

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

“It’s great to be back at Wigan Warriors” – Star returns to former club for special event

Post by josie andrews »

In 2010 Wigan Warriors fired themselves back to the top of the rugby league world after over a decade of struggles.

They had dominated the 1980s and the 1990s the summer era changed things. The Warriors won the inaugural Grand Final in 1998 but lost finals in 2000, 2001 and 2003 and finished top in 2000 for the last time for a decade.

In 2005 and 2006 they struggled against the threat of relegation whilst in 2007-09 they were making the play-offs but still seemed a long way off Grand Final glory.

Then suddenly in 2010 they were the standard setters finishing top winning 22 of their 27 league games prior to winning the Grand Final for the first time in 12 years.

At the heart of this was Man of Steel Pat Richards who scored tries for fun and was ruthless in front of goal.

He went on to help the club to Challenge Cup glory in 2011 and another League Leaders’ Shield in 2012.

Then in his last game, he helped the Warriors win the double.

A modern legend of the Warriors, he has returned to the club for a special event with fans joined by the likes of Josh Charnley of Leigh Leopards and current Wigan star Liam Farrell.

He will be answering questions about his time with the club in front of fans.

"Hello Wigan fans. It’s great to be back at Wigan and see a few familiar faces. Looking forward to a great night.”

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/its-grea ... ent-64613/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: “It’s great to be back at Wigan Warriors” – Star returns to former club for special event

Post by josie andrews »

Should be named in the Wigan Warriors Hall of Fame IMO

Was a brilliant night with Pat, it was like he hadn’t been away doesn’t really look any older 😊

Relived some great moments from the past; The night we played Bradford at Odsal & didn’t see much of the game because of dense fog!

And another at Salford The Willows where it was about 6 inches deep and when the team got to the game the groundsmen where sweeping snow off the pitch lines 😂

Brilliant times.

He said the 8 years he was at Wigan were the best years of his career 😊
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
w.thomas

Re: “It’s great to be back at Wigan Warriors” – Star returns to former club for special event

Post by w.thomas »

It was a really good night, thoroughly enjoyed it. I saw you josie, hob nobbing with Pat and mr lenegen 😏😆 haha. Pat looks like he could lace up his boots again and kick another couple of hundred conversions for us. Top bloke and a really great player. Although players don’t have to live in Wigan, like Rads said Pat integrated himself into the local community and I think that’s what made him so well thought of.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

w.thomas wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 4:51 pm It was a really good night, thoroughly enjoyed it. I saw you josie, hob nobbing with Pat and mr lenegen 😏😆 haha. Pat looks like he could lace up his boots again and kick another couple of hundred conversions for us. Top bloke and a really great player. Although players don’t have to live in Wigan, like Rads said Pat integrated himself into the local community and I think that’s what made him so well thought of.
Ha ha, he does doesn’t he. Doesn’t look any older! I was friends with Pat & his wife Kim when they were here. Both look amazing.

I was there when they arrived at Robin Park last evening. & they both gave me a kiss & a cuddle. And their children! Can’t believe both their son Asian & daughter Brianna looked so grown up! They were very young last time I saw them 😊

It’s nice that they remember you after so long. Paul Prescot was the same all said “Hello Josie" with a kiss & a cuddle as soon as they saw me 😊 And, Kim mentioned he still has the Superman badge I gave him 😂

Pat has been with the players at training & was giving tips on kicking goals & catching high bombs etc 😊

Why didn’t you come & say hello?? Next time you see me come & say hello😊 I Like to meet people off here 😊
w.thomas

Post by w.thomas »

It’s nice that they still remember you. I shall do next time! Sounds like you had a very enjoyable evening
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

w.thomas wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 3:08 pm It’s nice that they still remember you. I shall do next time! Sounds like you had a very enjoyable evening
Yes I did, thank you 😊