Batemans's departure confirmed

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Graham1

Re: Batemans's departure confirmed

Post by Graham1 »

That’s what concerns me about KR his signings in recent seasons have not been great. And definitely lacks any forward planning. It has taken us 3 years to recruit centres when it was obvious it has been an area of weakness now it’s the 2nd rows or soon will be and not long ago we had a shed full. Best signings in recent years French and Field not too sure they would be here only for Lam.
cherry toffee

Post by cherry toffee »

This type of thing will continue to happen as long as Wigan are so accommodating in taking back players who have left to “ take up the challenge “ Any player who leaves in future should be reminded they have played their last game for WRLFC regardless who they are, enough is enough
Bob the Builder

Post by Bob the Builder »

Good riddence Bateman. Was a shodow of the player that left Wigan and that played for Canberra. Came back on a marquee salary and was bang average at best last couple of years. He was prone to errors, we carried him, found a position for him, whilst I got the impression he didn't care about Wigan and his teammates. Money now released, FFS Wigan invest in a quality barnstorming prop forward, that can go the distance, and strike fear in the opposition. And before anybody says "no one is available", everyone is available if the price is right and the desire is shared by both parties. Though I'm not gonna hold my breath.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Graham1 wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 10:44 am That’s what concerns me about KR his signings in recent seasons have not been great. And definitely lacks any forward planning. It has taken us 3 years to recruit centres when it was obvious it has been an area of weakness now it’s the 2nd rows or soon will be and not long ago we had a shed full. Best signings in recent years French and Field not too sure they would be here only for Lam.

Love it when I see complete rubbish like this spouted.

KR is rubbish apart from Field and French but because they don't meet the narrative I will attribute them to someone else...
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

The Club first heard murmurings that John Bateman wanted to leave in July. After speaking to John, his agent and the Club in question, we made it clear that we wanted John to remain at Wigan and the matter was closed.
And then the press release completely contradicts that by explaining the club acted as if it wasn’t closed engaging in further talks. Basically Bateman and his agent kept pestering and instead of reminding them the matter was closed, the club agreed to further discussions.

Sorry but if you state the matter is closed in such categoric terms when it obviously is not you appear and are weak.

I suspect the reason the club decided to let him leave is down to the club needing the cash but if that isn’t it and press release reflects what really went on, then the club has shown weakness once again as far as holding players to contracts goes.

As to Bateman and his form, him not firing on all cylinders is still better than Isa who is past it and the press release has him and Faz as the first choice second rows.

Once the club carried on with negotiating when it supposedly had shut the door they should have decided at that point they needed a replacement. Using the internationals as an excuse to sit on its hands is a doozy as well.

The club has been messed about since July and allowed itself to be. Radlinski really is crap at his job when it comes to issues like this.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Caboosegg wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 11:08 am
Graham1 wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 10:44 am That’s what concerns me about KR his signings in recent seasons have not been great. And definitely lacks any forward planning. It has taken us 3 years to recruit centres when it was obvious it has been an area of weakness now it’s the 2nd rows or soon will be and not long ago we had a shed full. Best signings in recent years French and Field not too sure they would be here only for Lam.

KR is rubbish apart from Field and French but because they don't meet the narrative I will attribute them to someone else...
Ok so address the centre issue then. Or just conveniently ignore it.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

I said all along he wasn’t worth marquee money & was questioned "why do you not like Bateman"?

It wasn’t based on like or dislike, he just didn’t do it for me. He never made me jump up out of my seat to see what he could do, unlike French Field or Marshall!

They are more deserving of marquee than some second rower like Bateman, maybe in his first stint.

I’d sooner have given it to Farrell, as a second row player, who excites, as the backs above do, when they get the ball.

Plus, he was never deserving of the 13 shirt after all the excellent players who have worn that shirt before for Wigan Warriors
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

DaveO wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 11:24 am
Caboosegg wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 11:08 am

Ok so address the centre issue then. Or just conveniently ignore it.
Ah DaveO returns as soon as the KR bashing starts, we had centres just because it didn't work out as planned and you didnt like the centre brought in doesn't mean nothing was done about it.

People where crying out for props we have done alot in that area. Some haven't worked out (Burgess) but the club brought in supposedly high quality players.

The rhetoric is always the same for recruitment criticism.

IL and KR are bad any successful signing are down to someone else or Dumb luck.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

Not surprised he's gone but disappointed with the tone of the report which seems to imply we've not been able to sort out another singing despite the possibilty/probability that he would leave. Implying that Isa (I've always been a fan) is now back to being in the starting 17 is worrying. If we're weaker overall in the backrow our props have to improve on last year's efforts otherwise any improvements at centre won't be enough to see us to the GF.