Batemans's departure confirmed

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Charriots Offiah

Re: Batemans's departure confirmed

Post by Charriots Offiah »

medlocke wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 12:18 pm
Dreamteam wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 12:14 pm We should start Matty Nicholson now bateman is gone. Lots of potential looks SL ready. Let’s tie him down to a contract so nobody else snaps him up
:lol:
:oops:
Charriots Offiah

adam0026 wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 7:47 am West tigers messing about for months cost Wigan getting a replacement.
Targets will have been lost and gone to other clubs

The club know what they are doing and will sort a quality replacement out when ones availible
No. Wigan knew in July.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 1:00 pm
josie andrews wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 6:43 am
fozzieskem wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 6:38 am I do get the feeling he didn’t want to come back to be honest but there where no takers in the NRL at that time somwigan became a stop gap,I agree Josie he’s not looked the same player that left and sadly it leave a bit of a sour taste in the mouth lessened only by the fact the club got a decent fee for him it seems.

As for his new club..well they ain’t going to be contenders anytime soon.
That’s what I think & hope for now, but that won’t bother Bateman he’s on a good wedge for 4 years & that’s the most important thing to him!

He used the Covid excuse to come back to England cos no NRL club would sign him at that time & used Wigan to get back there!
He was still under contract at Canberra when he returned to Wigan.
Hadn’t Canberra already told him he wasn’t staying at the club?
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

fozzieskem wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 1:04 pm

That’s what I think & hope for now, but that won’t bother Bateman he’s on a good wedge for 4 years & that’s the most important thing to him!

He used the Covid excuse to come back to England cos no NRL club would sign him at that time & used Wigan to get back there!
He had a falling out with Canberra & used the Covid card to leave as far as I’m aware. He used Wigan IMO!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Charriots Offiah

fozzieskem wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 1:04 pm

He signed a three year contract. Bateman was in the 'dream' team so I am sure many clubs would have been interested in him.
Dreamteam

Post by Dreamteam »

Anyone who watched bateman in his second year at Canberra would have seen he wasn’t half the player he was in his first year there. But the club are obsessed with bringing players back on big wages, it’s like we’re insecure they’ll
Join a sl rival rather than actually weighing up if it’s a good deal ?
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

I’m not bothered about him going, I’m more concerned that Wigan don’t have a replacement in mind, or even thinking about placing him at all.
Bateman might not of been the same player he was when he was last here, but we are definitely weaker with him going especially if Wigan don’t think we should get a replacement
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

Barney841 wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 2:55 pm I’m not bothered about him going, I’m more concerned that Wigan don’t have a replacement in mind, or even thinking about placing him at all.
Bateman might not of been the same player he was when he was last here, but we are definitely weaker with him going especially if Wigan don’t think we should get a replacement
I'm not bothered he gone. also not disappointed there not replacing him straight away. I think they have this covered long term. As they have stated centres covered and frees up kpp to play in his preferred position also isa. They have the money and space. Should the right player come available without being panicked into replacing him. I honestly think losing him won't weaken the squad. Cant call him did a job when he came back but never anywhere near marquee standard signing.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

I'm not concerned with post mortems, but this is a get-out-of-jail card for Wigan. Batty has been ok for us, but not worth marquee money. We get shut and pocket £150k or thereabouts.

Secondly, there's no immediate need to panic about a replacement. We have KPP for this year with Isa as solid cover, so we can take a year for succession planning.

I'd hope we use the cap space to make a quality signing, maybe a prop, or (dare I say it) a 9 to give the moaners' club a rest?
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

I agree. Not a bad thing imo.