Batemans's departure confirmed

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
widdenoldboy

Re: Batemans's departure confirmed

Post by widdenoldboy »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:33 pm
Caboosegg wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:12 am
Wintergreen wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:36 pm

Yep. It really is that simple. Not sure why everyone can't understand this.
Some people need anything to complain about the clubs handling of any situation.

People saying the club handled this poorly should Imagine if they found a better job for more money in nicer country but you boss prevented you taking up the role.

Would you have any loyalty or commitment to the current job

Would you work hard or coast

What damage would it do to your employers reputation and ability to recruit the best people they can going forward.
That’s because it was badly handled and worst still the Club has form in this respect. I want someone to explain to me why this isn’t a constant problem for Saints.
Was about to ask the same question about other clubs, TBF, I don't follow them closely.

For me, I can't believe that the club knew or thought that Bateman would go AND not retain McDonnell/Nicholson.

It does shine a different light on Bateman though, he did the similar to Canberra to get home and now wants to go back to Aus - I guess a change in his circumstances is the driver.

When he left for Aus first time, I was gutted, not too bothered this time round.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Wintergreen wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:36 pm

Yep. It really is that simple. Not sure why everyone can't understand this.
Some people need anything to complain about the clubs handling of any situation.

People saying the club handled this poorly should Imagine if they found a better job for more money in nicer country but you boss prevented you taking up the role.

What damage would it do to your employers reputation and ability to recruit the best people they can going forward.
That’s because it was badly handled and worst still the Club has form in this respect. I want someone to explain to me why this isn’t a constant problem for Saints.
They don't have Lenners, Rads and the matey culture there?
Dreamteam

Post by Dreamteam »

medlocke wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:31 pm

They don't have Lenners, Rads and the matey culture there?
Can’t be. They’re bloody going over the cap or something 😤
Gerrumonside

Post by Gerrumonside »

Saints have those issues too - regan grace off to union and just recently an article about bachelor agent making nrl rumours even though he’s in contract.
Suzieb

Post by Suzieb »

Why are you still talking about Bateman he is history
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Gerrumonside wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:14 pm Saints have those issues too - regan grace off to union and just recently an article about bachelor agent making nrl rumours even though he’s in contract.
That’s not comparable with the number that have left Wigan.
Charriots Offiah

widdenoldboy wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:09 pm

Was about to ask the same question about other clubs, TBF, I don't follow them closely.

For me, I can't believe that the club knew or thought that Bateman would go AND not retain McDonnell/Nicholson.

It does shine a different light on Bateman though, he did the similar to Canberra to get home and now wants to go back to Aus - I guess a change in his circumstances is the driver.

When he left for Aus first time, I was gutted, not too bothered this time round.
If it was just Bateman then fine but it isn’t.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:10 pm
Gerrumonside wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:14 pm Saints have those issues too - regan grace off to union and just recently an article about bachelor agent making nrl rumours even though he’s in contract.
Is that not more you don't follow saints enough to notice?

They and Warrington as well have just as many issues.

How many outside Tomkins and Bateman haven't completed their contracts (geuine question)
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Flash

Post by Flash »

Over recent times they lost Barba back to the NRL whereas we retained our "equivalent", if you like, in Bevan French. They lost Thompson to the NRL, Grace to union and Bentley to Leeds, all of whom they wanted to keep. Add to this that these losses come at a time when they've been the dominant side so the players are more likely to want to stay in order to win things.

As has been said elsewhere, it's not a "one size fits all" situation. The softly softly approach worked with Bevan but didn't with Bateman. Insistence on adherence to contracts has (hopefully) worked with KPP but clearly didn't with Hardaker.

You have to take a balanced view. You can't just point to a negative and pretend it's always like that or only works one way. It isn't and it doesn't.
Charriots Offiah

Flash wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 7:04 pm
Over recent times they lost Barba back to the NRL whereas we retained our "equivalent", if you like, in Bevan French. They lost Thompson to the NRL, Grace to union and Bentley to Leeds, all of whom they wanted to keep. Add to this that these losses come at a time when they've been the dominant side so the players are more likely to want to stay in order to win things.

As has been said elsewhere, it's not a "one size fits all" situation. The softly softly approach worked with Bevan but didn't with Bateman. Insistence on adherence to contracts has (hopefully) worked with KPP but clearly didn't with Hardaker.

You have to take a balanced view. You can't just point to a negative and pretend it's always like that or only works one way. It isn't and it doesn't.
Bentley and Grace were out of contract. Thompson left early as Saints didn’t want to pay his full salary, Barba I can’t remember.