Batemans's departure confirmed

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Flash

Re: Batemans's departure confirmed

Post by Flash »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 7:55 pm
Flash wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 7:04 pm
Charriots Offiah wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:10 pm

That’s not comparable with the number that have left Wigan.
Over recent times they lost Barba back to the NRL whereas we retained our "equivalent", if you like, in Bevan French. They lost Thompson to the NRL, Grace to union and Bentley to Leeds, all of whom they wanted to keep. Add to this that these losses come at a time when they've been the dominant side so the players are more likely to want to stay in order to win things.

As has been said elsewhere, it's not a "one size fits all" situation. The softly softly approach worked with Bevan but didn't with Bateman. Insistence on adherence to contracts has (hopefully) worked with KPP but clearly didn't with Hardaker.

You have to take a balanced view. You can't just point to a negative and pretend it's always like that or only works one way. It isn't and it doesn't.
Bentley and Grace were out of contract. Thompson left early as Saints didn’t want to pay his full salary, Barba I can’t remember.
I understand that you're specifically concerned with in-contract movement but the point I was making was that if a player wants to leave there's little you can do about it and holding a player against his will has not been shown to work in any case. In fact, I've yet to see an example of it working at any club.

Hardaker and Bateman have both done it at multiple clubs, not just ours so the real question to be asked is more should we be signing players with that type of track record in the first place rather than, having done so, how do we keep them when the inevitable happens.
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Flash wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:45 pm
Over recent times they lost Barba back to the NRL whereas we retained our "equivalent", if you like, in Bevan French. They lost Thompson to the NRL, Grace to union and Bentley to Leeds, all of whom they wanted to keep. Add to this that these losses come at a time when they've been the dominant side so the players are more likely to want to stay in order to win things.

As has been said elsewhere, it's not a "one size fits all" situation. The softly softly approach worked with Bevan but didn't with Bateman. Insistence on adherence to contracts has (hopefully) worked with KPP but clearly didn't with Hardaker.

You have to take a balanced view. You can't just point to a negative and pretend it's always like that or only works one way. It isn't and it doesn't.
Bentley and Grace were out of contract. Thompson left early as Saints didn’t want to pay his full salary, Barba I can’t remember.
I understand that you're specifically concerned with in-contract movement but the point I was making was that if a player wants to leave there's little you can do about it and holding a player against his will has not been shown to work in any case. In fact, I've yet to see an example of it working at any club.

Hardaker and Bateman have both done it at multiple clubs, not just ours so the real question to be asked is more should we be signing players with that type of track record in the first place rather than, having done so, how do we keep them when the inevitable happens.
And that is the only form of leverage a club has over a player when it comes to this (and this is questionable, especially when a player is nearing the end of their career).

On the issue of player retention, I am no happy clapper (far from it), but I have to say the retention of French and Field is impressive. Especially Field who is genuinely box office.

Not often that we get players who are worth the entrance money on their own.

Last one was Sam Tomkins in his younger days.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Caboosegg wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:43 pm
Gerrumonside wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:14 pm Saints have those issues too - regan grace off to union and just recently an article about bachelor agent making nrl rumours even though he’s in contract.
Is that not more you don't follow saints enough to notice?

They and Warrington as well have just as many issues.

How many outside Tomkins and Bateman haven't completed their contracts (geuine question)
Good question. George Williams, Matty Nicholson. Joel Tomkins that I can think of at the moment.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Pretty sure Barba did his deal and went back home and onto mega riches oh wait,didn't quite work out that way did it :lol: