Batemans's departure confirmed

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
nathan_rugby

Re: Batemans's departure confirmed

Post by nathan_rugby »

WarriorWinger wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:27 am
nathan_rugby wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:41 am
WarriorWinger wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:56 pm

We don't and can't always replace a player by signing a player, otherwise we would never bring any of the young lads through.

Also the club can't sign a player without the conclusion of the exiting player, what could they possibly say to any potential replacement we may sign you but then again if the other deal falls through we won't, you are not going to get anybody on that kind of basis, in the circumstances I think the club have handled this the best way they possibly could.

We have KPP for a year in his preferred position, Isa who can do a job albeit not as good as Bateman, but with an out and out centre at the side of him it should not leave him too exposed in defence (apart from the obvious shooting the line that he does but that could be due to not having confidence in his centre previously), we have some talent coming through the ranks with the young lads who will have a year to dip in and out of the first team for experience, if come towards the back end of the season the club don't feel they will develop enough to be a first team regular in 2024 then they can look to recruit
They really haven’t.

They’ve let a contracted player leave with no replacement lined up in an area of the pitch we have limited cover.

Contracts clearly worth nothing at Wigan which is why we can never seem to build teams and keep players locked down.
And until the 'contracted' player makes his mind up about what he wants to do the club can't sign another player without either going back on the deal with the 'incoming' player if Bateman had changed his mind or the Aussies wouldn't pay what Wigan wanted, or end up with two players eating up cap space, the alternative is wait until last minute and panic buy, but why do that when we have the position covered for the year at least and possibly beyond if the young lads take a step up.
He was contracted, we didn’t have to let him go. We could have also looked for an alternative before confirming the deal.

What young lads? Nsemba? He’s played about 15 minutes for the first team.

The club have taken a massive risk here.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

Seems we are making an assessment of the situation without being fully informed of all facts. The main one being when this same situation arose in the NRL Canberra who held more aces than we do, couldn't hold him either. I have to trust despite what others would like to imagine that Matty Peet, Rads ,Wane and Ian Lenegan will do the best they can in a given situation maybe we would like or try to do things differently but without the inside track on this I can't see anything else but him hanging us out to dry. Keep him and from what's been said an already somewhat divisive character causes more problems and if an opportunity arrives we can't take it. Bateman wanted out I can't see how the club acts in a different way and I think letting him go is right it also supports the ethos Matty Peet brought in he wants players who want to be here! For all one's in the supposed know saying they knew ages ago it's no different to me saying nothing official was done from Batty and Wests until just before he left. I for one would have loved a lined up replacement as I'm sure would the club I can't think of any reason the club wouldn't if they could? They was going into the season with Batty taking marquee money I have no reason to believe that space is not still available for the right player.
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mickw

Post by Mickw »

He was poor last season for the money he was on and we're skint because so called fans don't go to games,it's simple if you lose 1.8 mil and you can get rid of a top earner who's doing nowt happy days ,he won't be replaced .
lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

The skint thing don't add up either with Lenegan going for Charlton and most of our money owed to him. Danson buying 2.5million in the time scale of that account year also wipes the 1.8m out that amount was also the government loan with next to no interest.
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
The Pearl1

Post by The Pearl1 »

Mickw wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:50 am He was poor last season for the money he was on and we're skint because so called fans don't go to games,it's simple if you lose 1.8 mil and you can get rid of a top earner who's doing nowt happy days ,he won't be replaced .
We are not skint and we spend the full salary cap every single year.

I’m guessing you’d rather chuck Batemans salary on some random free agent second rower.
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

nathan_rugby wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:44 pm
nathan_rugby wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:41 am

They really haven’t.

They’ve let a contracted player leave with no replacement lined up in an area of the pitch we have limited cover.

Contracts clearly worth nothing at Wigan which is why we can never seem to build teams and keep players locked down.
And until the 'contracted' player makes his mind up about what he wants to do the club can't sign another player without either going back on the deal with the 'incoming' player if Bateman had changed his mind or the Aussies wouldn't pay what Wigan wanted, or end up with two players eating up cap space, the alternative is wait until last minute and panic buy, but why do that when we have the position covered for the year at least and possibly beyond if the young lads take a step up.
He was contracted, we didn’t have to let him go. We could have also looked for an alternative before confirming the deal.

No they haven't.

If a player wants to leave then, realistically, there is NOTHING a club can do to prevent it. Well there is one thing, to leave the player out of the team, allowing him to pick up his salary for nothing. In a sport with such a small salary cap as RL in the UK, this is not practical.

You cannot force a player (contracted or otherwise) to play.

The player can "accidentally" drop the ball, not try or simply feign injury.

Contracts only work one way I'm afraid.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Wintergreen wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 9:11 am
nathan_rugby wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:44 pm

No they haven't.

If a player wants to leave then, realistically, there is NOTHING a club can do to prevent it. Well there is one thing, to leave the player out of the team, allowing him to pick up his salary for nothing. In a sport with such a small salary cap as RL in the UK, this is not practical.

You cannot force a player (contracted or otherwise) to play.

The player can "accidentally" drop the ball, not try or simply feign injury.

Contracts only work one way I'm afraid.
Brian Carney springs to mind
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

The Club’s hierarchy are only judged on one thing, success. The question is, has the Bateman affair impacted our chances of winning silverware, history will tell us.

I can fully understand the dilemma that IFL and Rads faced but this is not a one off, they have created a rod for their own backs. Why are other teams not faced with such a scenario, do they not have good players?
Dreamteam

Post by Dreamteam »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:22 pm The Club’s hierarchy are only judged on one thing, success. The question is, has the Bateman affair impacted our chances of winning silverware, history will tell us.

I can fully understand the dilemma that IFL and Rads faced but this is not a one off, they have created a rod for their own backs. Why are other teams not faced with such a scenario, do they not have good players?

Can’t afford to keep an unhappy player around regardless anyway. Up there with one of our worst pound for pounds signings in our history. The problem is the same 2 people with keep making signings like this, they never learn.
WarriorWinger

Post by WarriorWinger »

If Bateman was not happy and wanted to move on then forcing him to stay would of created bad feelings in the club and that is the last thing they need. They have got a considerable fee for a player and have a marquee spot to play with, panic buying is not the answer, fill the gap with the next most talented, bring the next one through and depending on progression during the year, look for a replacement if needed either mid season or for the next.
Are we weaker without him, yes of course we are, he was not at his best but was far more capable than anyone else we have, but if forced to stay he may of coasted for the year.