Squad Numbers

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Southern Softy

Re: Squad Numbers

Post by Southern Softy »

I imagine that KPP will play most weeks - no doubt also at centre when we get our inevitable injuries. Isa must surely only be a squad player - if he plays regularly, then we won't be having a great season.
Like most, I'm apprehensive about back-ups at centre and wings. Miski did play well when he got a game last year and probably has got over that horror debut. Not sure if Thornley can really come back and a defence of French and Thornley wouldn't be great. Optimistic about Wardle but baffled as to why we are taking King on (even for only a year, maybe).
The worry is what we do if Marshall or Cust gets injured. I'd much rather we let Mago go and pull in some decent reserves for the backs.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 1:35 pm Lucky 13’s posts were absolutely fantastic.

One point about Saints is that last year was the first time in a long time that I think a neutral would much prefer to watch our team. Field and French are box office.
It is great to be entertaining but we are also in this business to win trophies. We have got to find a way of relinquishing Saints grip on the top prize. Whichever way we look at it our forwards are not as strong as last season on paper, that is not to say they cannot improve. We need Mago and Ellis to stand up and be counted.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 12:02 am
morley pie eater wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 10:45 pm Interesting to read between the lines on this. I'm assuming Matty Peet has full control over squad numbers.

The recent 2 year deal and the 11 shirt could show the value of Big Willie - to the coach at least!

Mago at 20, and KPP at 17 are telling decisions too. My guess would be that if Kai had signed a contract extension, he'd have been given the 11 shirt. And that Mago's days are numbered unless he shapes up.

As to number 9, I can't believe that Matty hasn't listened to the collective wisdom readily available. Sam can't be his love child - surely, he's not old enough????

Still, this is what you get when you choose a coach on a jobs-for-the boys basis. :D :D :D :D

You’re adopting the same “I’m so much better than those criticise because I criticise them relentlessly” approach…
And you're criticising me for criticising them for criticising certain players who I think are critical to the team.

I think your "relentlessly" is over-the-top.
1. I've hardly posted more than half a dozen times since the end of last season.
2. I don't think any of the posts have been critical of anyone.
3. The post above was my response to seeing the squad numbers. With Powell at 9 and Isa given 11, I couldn't resist a light-hearted dig at the fact that M Peet clearly doesn't see things that some think are blindingly obvious.

It hardly adds up to "relentlessly", which I'd say better fits what we've read about Sam P ad nauseam.

Have a Happy New Year!
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

No great surprises for my money! Think it was obvious certain players would be promoted or changing such as Field, French, Smith and Thornley!

Do squad numbers mean much to players or motivate them at all these days? I always remember Jerry SeuSeu losing his squad number in 2006 and I thought he looked much better than 2005. Could very well take 12 months or so to adapt/settle maybe (similar situation with Mago)?
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

CheshireWarrior wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 5:24 pm No great surprises for my money! Think it was obvious certain players would be promoted or changing such as Field, French, Smith and Thornley!

Do squad numbers mean much to players or motivate them at all these days? I always remember Jerry SeuSeu losing his squad number in 2006 and I thought he looked much better than 2005. Could very well take 12 months or so to adapt/settle maybe (similar situation with Mago)?
Especially when they are on the own in a strange town!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

IMHO I think that Abbas Miski would make a good second row forward he has a bit of pace and he has the build of a forward its not the first time that a back has converted to a forward.