Squad Numbers

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Barney841

Re: Squad Numbers

Post by Barney841 »

Well looking at that squad, we won’t be winning it this year
Crossy210

Post by Crossy210 »

Jesus Christ anyone would think the worlds ended. It’s virtually the same squad as last year with two good quality centres added. People writing us off before the years even started get a grip.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

morley pie eater wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 10:45 pm Interesting to read between the lines on this. I'm assuming Matty Peet has full control over squad numbers.

The recent 2 year deal and the 11 shirt could show the value of Big Willie - to the coach at least!

Mago at 20, and KPP at 17 are telling decisions too. My guess would be that if Kai had signed a contract extension, he'd have been given the 11 shirt. And that Mago's days are numbered unless he shapes up.

As to number 9, I can't believe that Matty hasn't listened to the collective wisdom readily available. Sam can't be his love child - surely, he's not old enough????

Still, this is what you get when you choose a coach on a jobs-for-the boys basis. :D :D :D :D

You’re adopting the same “I’m so much better than those criticise because I criticise them relentlessly” approach…
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

So pleased to see Field and French, and 2 actual decent centres for what seems the first time in ages… really looking forward to seeing the back line in action, and seeing which of the young forwards step up, as there will be plenty of opportunities. If Smithies carries on developing and KPP kicks on, the back row could be even more dangerous than last year.

Can’t wait.
lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

Just as an example of squads take a look at the bench mark of the last few years Saints
1 Jack Welsby
2 Tommy Makinson
3 Will Hopoate
4 Mark Percival
5 Jon Bennison
6 Jonny Lomax
7 Lewis Dodd
8 Alex Walmsley
9 James Roby
10 Matty Lees
11 Sione Mata’utia
12 Joe Batchelor
13 Morgan Knowles
14 Joey Lussick
15 Louie McCarthy-Scarsbrook
16 Curtis Sironen
17 Agnatius Paasi
18 Jake Wingfield
19 James Bell
20 Dan Norman
21 Ben Davies
22 Sam Royale
23 Konrad Hurrell
24 Lewis Baxter
25 Vacant
26 Dan Hill
27 Jumah Sambou
28 Matty Foster
29 Taylor Pemberton
30 George Delaney
Let's break that down.
New untested coach......
Numbers 1 Welsby potentially very good 2Tommy Mak isn't getting younger but he's in the top wingers in the comp.
3. Played 8 games I think last season and was subbed early in a couple massive question on his fitness (see Thornley.)
4. Big questions over his fitness way he runs the ball could end up shortening his career good when he's fit but was a worry for Saints about him last season.
5. Still young looks decent potentially.
6. Lomax one of best halves in SL
7. Potentially very good coming off a bad injury still young.
8. Was the best prop not as good last year still one of best in SL but is he still the most dominant player?
9. Best hooker still but he's going around again because they need him to.
10. Good SL player
11. Very good threat on the edge
12. Seems better than his stats suggest still not convinced how good he is or is it the team he's played in?
13. Saints best player? Maybe and though stats are not everything (see above) our new 13 is quite a bit more impressive in that department. No doubting Knowles aggression and line speed are a big part of Saints dominant middle.
14. Back up hooker decent especially 1 yard out.
15. Pantomime villain been a good player for saints imagine he would be labeled not good enough for Wigan?
16. Decent but again would you be blown away if we had him?
17. Turned into Saints best prop last season by a distance first year I thought he was average if only Ellis or Mago could do that.
18. Got to admit I don't know a great amount?
19. Good squad player
20. Big young looks ok
21. Seen him play from being a kid good cover but young.
22. to 30. guessing all young bar Hurrell who will.play most weeks because it seems saints centers could spend time out. Dangerous player but also got the Gellings about him.
I think Saints have rolled like this the last four seasons lucky with injuries to a degree but the class to help youth into the team when needed. Tommy Mak Welsby Lomax hold that backline together even with injuries. Roby can do that on his own in the forwards. I do think that gaps closed Field French Cust can do the same job in our backs between them.
I also think we edge the other wing spot with Marshy and Miski is a better back up. Centre lots of if about it will Saints be fit, how will ours settle can they both reach potential would say two seasons back they was the best bet or future internationals.
Halves Smith came on massively last year Simms horrible injury puts a question mark over him both potentially very good.
Cust and Lomax, we missed Cust back end but he's not as influential on this Wigan side than Lomax is for saints.... Yet?
Props Walmsley was the best prop in the league season before last I think Byrne stood up to him pretty well in our games.
Lees I don't see miles ahead of Singo and definitely not Cooper even Havard or Ellis. We will get more from Coops and I think there is a real player in Ellis. Havard can improve by some way yet, potentially best of all mentioned. Byrne for me along with Smith and Smithies earned first team squad numbers and again got loads of improvement in them.
Passi was the best impact prop last season I would go further and say he was the best prop, Mago should look at him because for me if fit he could be easily as good but will we see that? LMS is the next saints option not blown away.
Hooker Roby by a distance unfortunately still. Powell is solid and O'Neil as potential
but I'm guessing some would put Lussick
before either?
Back Row is interesting before last season you would have said a Faz Batty pairing was great but both are not that big and don't offer anything different to the team in style. I would say our back rows was pretty well matched last year maybe because Batty never grew to the player we imagined he would, I'm guessing his stats pre and post Canberra are not that different but the expectations was. Big year needed from KPP before he's off I get the feeling he will give it his best.
Our 13's if you look at the stats Smithies pretty much wins in every one and by a distance in some, less games more tackles less missed he only conceded 4 pens in SL, Knowles gave away 19 (The challenge cup final sticks in most fans minds re his pens ) they both made over 600 tackles but Smithies 3 games less made more he also only missed 14 tackles Knowles missed 65. Yardage again Smithies with less games 200+ yards more. So why is Knowles rated high? Sure some of that is the team he plays in and the success but some of it is him leading that line at high speed that creates Saints dominant middle it's the aggressive style they play giving territorial advantage. The sacrifice for Knowles yardage penalties and misses. Smithies though has plenty of that in his game and he's five years younger it's vital we get him tied up to a long contract.
Once you get to number 20 squad wise, if anything I think we have as much depth if not more than what most consider in Saints the favourite team going into the season.
It's that middle how many of our players can realistically step up and force their way into that strongest starting 8 9 10 13
Injuries form and development will be the factors if we can close it completely.
Was two games all last year and one semi a big step.
Though we have got a message re no further signing at this stage, I'm not sure on that at all. A few weeks back Batty wasn't leaving was the clubs line which in delicate situations is understandable he had us over a barrel until his future was decided by the NRL cap and Wests squad planning, getting rid of Hastings for example. Player power and using a contract works both ways it seems, fine when it helps to stick to it because your club can't do anything but wait and fine when you want to break it by sulking best thing he's gone and that bridge should be burned and the last lesson learned.
Our backline is for me better going into the season, Welsby may edge field all around game but Jai was fantastic last season especially upto the challenge cup, I think we did drop slightly after but this is a new team and after 21 season I'm sure we would all have been happy with how 22 went? You could say now that Smith edges Simms centres are up in the air. Marshy French is stronger than Saints duo centres will depend on form fitness. It's just that middle!
Last edited by lucky 13 on Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Cracking post lucky 13 😊
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan Warriors’ strongest 13 for 2023 revealed and it is impressive

Wigan Warriors have revealed their 2023 squad numbers and in doing so have unveiled their strongest 13 and it will be the envy of many of the league.

They of course have fullback Jai Field moving to the number one shirt replacing Bevan French who as expected moves to number two reflecting the roles they both play.

New signings from Warrington Wolves and Huddersfield Giants Toby King and Jake Wardle take three and four.

Liam Marshall keeps the number five shirt whilst Cade Cust keeps the number six shirt.

Excitingly Harry Smith replaces Thomas Leuluai as the number seven as he joins Cust as the Warriors’ first choice halfbacks.

There has been a change in the pack with Patrick Mago dropping down the numbers with Liam Byrne unsurprisingly replacing him as the number 10 after he became one of the league’s leading props in 2022.

Willie Isa keeps the number 11, new skipper Liam Farrell keeps 12 and Morgan Smithies, as a top loose-forward takes on John Bateman’s number 13.

Kai Pearce-Paul will be pushing for a place in that backrow either way it is one of the strongest 13s in the league.

1. Jai Field
2. Bevan French
3. Toby King
4. Jake Wardle
5. Liam Marshall
6. Cade Cust
7. Harry Smith
8. Brad Singleton
9. Sam Powell
10. Liam Byrne
11. Willie Isa
12. Liam Farrell
13. Morgan Smithies

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/wigan-wa ... ive-65025/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

I imagine KPP pushes into our strongest starting line up and that's no disrespect to Isa. It seems he brings a lot more to the team than just what's on the field, for example I'm not sure French would still be here without him and so on. I know many may not see that as a good enough reason but that's the way Matty Peet wants this team to be. The relationship off the field carrying onto it with the bonuses that brings. I think it also mirrors what he's trying to do with the community around town and with the fans. The next position under pressure will be 9 and again that's no disrespect to Powell who's given his all for the club and is probably that same glue like Isa I know he helped Field a lot through injury and the pre season last year and I have no doubt he played a part in the season field then gave. Even if you don't think he's good enough he does deserve this testimonial and our support 100%. O'niel looks to have something about him he's still young buts he should be knocking on that door very unlucky not to hold his shirt for the semi against Leeds which I think he should have. Outside that team you have Cooper Havard Ellis Mago at full strength them four along with O'Neil and Isa would be pushing for a bench spot. Miski pushes into the back line if needed with Field and French able to cover half and fullback. We may even see French Field Cust at 1, 6 and 9. The sides much more like the Saints model more quality less depth but even without Bateman better balanced. Still maybe a super dominant middle short.
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

morley pie eater wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 10:45 pm Interesting to read between the lines on this. I'm assuming Matty Peet has full control over squad numbers.

The recent 2 year deal and the 11 shirt could show the value of Big Willie - to the coach at least!

Mago at 20, and KPP at 17 are telling decisions too. My guess would be that if Kai had signed a contract extension, he'd have been given the 11 shirt. And that Mago's days are numbered unless he shapes up.

As to number 9, I can't believe that Matty hasn't listened to the collective wisdom readily available. Sam can't be his love child - surely, he's not old enough????

Still, this is what you get when you choose a coach on a jobs-for-the boys basis. :D :D :D :D
Squad numbers are somewhat arbitrary as we all know but obviously if a player is in 1-17 range they are deemed first team regulars but it's really a question of is the squad good enough and with the players I highlighted in it, I think it is, as I said, pretty thin.

As to Peet giving Isa the no 11 short, now Bateman has gone who else would he give it to? KPP who is leaving as well? There is literally no one else so it doesn't say anything about what Peet thinks of his value.

Powell is just another example of the club not being ruthless enough and I doubt there is another SL club that would be interested in him or Isa.

In a recent press release Powell said Peet had told him to go and look at what other no 9's did and how they played and Powell's response was this was great for his development. The "development" of a player who is in his testimonial year? I think that says Peet has got his number but like most Wigan coaches of the modern era it's not just up to him who he ends up with in the squad.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Lucky 13’s posts were absolutely fantastic.

One point about Saints is that last year was the first time in a long time that I think a neutral would much prefer to watch our team. Field and French are box office.