Wigan warriors players out of contract at the end of 2023

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
medlocke

Re: Wigan warriors players out of contract at the end of 2023

Post by medlocke »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:30 pm
medlocke wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 7:16 pm Where's Powell, thought he only got two seasons (this and next), would be really awesome if he signed with Featherstone for 2024
While not out of contract, I think we would have to listen to any big money NRL offers for Powell.
:D :D Good one
The Pearl1

Post by The Pearl1 »

Cade Cust - decent at times but big improvement needed this year, defensively dreadful. Can’t see the NRL wanting him back.

Brad Singleton, coaching staff like him more than the fans. He wants to finish his career at Wigan but I see him getting a 2 year deal and that being that.

Willie Isa, 33 now. Great servant and good club man but time will be right for him to finish.

Morgan Smithies, 5 year deal please although agent already talking about NRL aspirations ina few years time.

Mike Cooper, depends on his form early in the year currently 34. Can see them talking up the option for one more year if he goes well then retire.

Kaide Ellis, poor last year, just goes through the motions, lateral movement in defence is atrocious. Big improvement needed for a new deal to be considered but I know the coaching staff like him.

Abbas Miski, good ball carrier but slow and a poor finisher, will turn 28 this year so can’t see much improvement in him.

Ramon Silva, who knows. I’m sure the coaching staff will make the right call.

Iain Thornley, really like what I saw in the limited game time. Big body, good carries, does the basics well enough. Once he returns in March/April if he can stay injury free I wouldn’t be opposed to an extension. He is 31 but is on a moneyball contract.

Patrick Mago another one who can’t defend, can do some exciting things but the in big fast games the coaching staff don’t trust him to stay with the pace. Many games he’d only get 15 minutes in the second half and that would be it.

Cust, Ellis and Mago hopefully will improve this year now they are all settled (them being good is the key to our success IMO) however you can tell why the NRL didn’t want them (it’s different for Field/French as it’s more to do with body type for them).
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

A few of those players may well be looking over their shoulder.

Cust may well be an outside bet to leave if he doesn't set the world on fire.

Mago and Ellis must improve.

Smithies must get a contract

Thornley must become injury free

Miski.. meh

Isa.. probably his last time round

Cooper depending on how he goes this year may well get another season

Singleton again may get another year or two but for me needs to step up a little
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

My Take

Cust - Think people are harsh on him on here, he wasnt meant to be a superstar signing i think a lot of people forget he is only a year old than Harry Smith and actually has less senior level experience. He showed some good stuff last year and he does a lot of the unnoticed stuff too. He has got talent this year i agree he needs to kick on but i expect him to. Still would like to see him at 9 think its his more natural position from watching him

Mago - its the Feka situation all over again, hes a bit of aluxury player but he can unlock a game with a run or an offload. The type of player suited more to Superleague than the NRL. Needs to be fitter but also needs to hope that doesnt blunt his USP like it did with Feka

Ellis - I thought he went ok, hes a big body if nothing else

Smithies - Genuine talent but i expect him to leave, people go on about long contracts etc or contracts that will make him stay, its pointless really Wigan have proved they will not hold any player to a contract so they are meaningless

Thornley - There are better players surely

Miski - I dont mind Miski as a cover player i imagine he's on small £ so solid enough to have around for injuries' in the 3/4 - put it this way to me you either keep thornely or keep miski but not both

Isa - good servant but time to go

Cooper - take the option then let him retire

Singleton - he's ok, again hes a big body doesnt make many mistakes doenst change the world but solid prop

Ramon Silva - feels like he will be another one of these wigan players that we hear loads about but never actually shows up in the first team
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Why do people on here want to play Cust as hooker? He says himself he prefers to play at halfback.

Leave him where he is unless we haven’t got an option!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

josie andrews wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:29 am Why do people on here want to play Cust as hooker? He says himself he prefers to play at halfback.

Leave him where he is unless we haven’t got an option!
Because out of the players on our roster he seems to be the most natural there when he has played

lots of players start in 1 position and end up excelling in another Sam Tomkins came through as a 6, Field wanted to play in the halves didnt he?

There is an element of want and desire but sometimes players can give the team more in another position.

Powell himself wanted to be a halfback its not like he was a hooker by choice
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Cust getting unjustified stick on here for me.
I think he has that Blake Green feel about him, nothing fancies but controls the play well. I also thought him and Smith played well together, with them both being similar age I think there’s a good bit of improvement gonna come from them.
We missed him when he got injured towards the end of the season
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Cust had a good season to me,he allowed Harry Smith to kick on and play his game,that of course,for some on here isn't good enough :roll:

Ellis solid enough confidence did take a knock following the ban but better than most on here suggest he is..

Mago..a conundrum wrapped in a puzzle if they could unlock it my what a player there could be.

Cooper..was excellent could do all game if needs be,who cares if he's 34 he's got oodles of class,yes let's let him go... :roll:

Thornley I'm sorry it simply hasn't worked out for me shame because there was sparks but far to injury prone.

Miski..valuable quota spot taken by a squad player isn't good management for me.

Isa..he will be missed but probably should be his last season we shall see
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Barney841 wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 5:33 pm Cust getting unjustified stick on here for me.
I think he has that Blake Green feel about him, nothing fancies but controls the play well. I also thought him and Smith played well together, with them both being similar age I think there’s a good bit of improvement gonna come from them.
We missed him when he got injured towards the end of the season
I said the same almost from the start, I think he is a very good player without wanting the glory all the time 😊
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Cust - not seeing poor defence - any stats to suggest he is poor? He can, and does, play hooker well but I'd rather see O'Neil there. Another year of development behind him and hopefully more settled should see an improvement.

Ellis - seemed to go under the radar after that ban, again hoping for more after the settling in period.

Mago - involved in some great moments need some more basic work, again hoping for more after the settling in period.

Cooper - a major plus and seems hungry still.

Thornley - please stay fit.

Miski /Isa- OK only for me, I don't get this non-fed arguement, surely if we didn't fill all slots there would be complaints? I get that we'd like 7 Aussie internationals, not going to happen.