Wigan warriors players out of contract at the end of 2023

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
pearsy
Posts: 664
Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 5:21 pm

Re: Wigan warriors players out of contract at the end of 2023

Post by pearsy »

If he leaves
Crossy210
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2022 6:27 am

Re: Wigan warriors players out of contract at the end of 2023

Post by Crossy210 »

pearsy wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:52 pm The only one I would keep is Cust

You wouldn’t keep smithies?
medlocke
Posts: 9885
Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:57 am
Contact:

Re: Wigan warriors players out of contract at the end of 2023

Post by medlocke »

Dreamteam wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 7:33 pm
medlocke wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 7:27 pm
Dreamteam wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 7:18 pm

Straight into the coaching set up moulding brad oneil into a miniature Powell.
really hope not
I can definitely see him going into the coaching set up when he leaves.
It's nailed on really isn't it, The jobs for the boys culture will continue as long as one of the boys is in charge
Dreamteam
Posts: 362
Joined: Tue May 17, 2022 8:47 pm

Re: Wigan warriors players out of contract at the end of 2023

Post by Dreamteam »

medlocke wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:23 pm
Dreamteam wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 7:33 pm
medlocke wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 7:27 pm

really hope not
I can definitely see him going into the coaching set up when he leaves.
It's nailed on really isn't it, The jobs for the boys culture will continue as long as one of the boys is in charge
It’s been nailed on since french broke the record against fc and peet actually talked about Powell more in the post match interview than he did about french.
pearsy
Posts: 664
Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 5:21 pm

Re: Wigan warriors players out of contract at the end of 2023

Post by pearsy »

Crossy210 wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:01 pm
pearsy wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:52 pm The only one I would keep is Cust

You wouldn’t keep smithies?
Forgot about him yes I would keep him
josie andrews
Posts: 31999
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:17 pm
Location: Wigan
Contact:

Re: Wigan warriors players out of contract at the end of 2023

Post by josie andrews »

Graham1 wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:09 pm Smithies has got to be the no 1 priority. Why do we let our good players go into the last year of their contracts?

We’ve lost 2 good academy lads because of that. We need to get smarter in our retention. Looking at that list KR is going to be busy this year.
We need to give long term ‘can’t get out early’ contracts to Smithies, Havard, Byrne & try & keep French, Field & Cust happy with good contracts because they more than likely not get a NRL spot now, or when their contracts are up here, because of their age & lots more young talent coming through over there until we have players ready to take over their roles from our academy or elsewhere.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
morley pie eater
Posts: 2620
Joined: Tue May 02, 2006 2:01 pm

Re: Wigan warriors players out of contract at the end of 2023

Post by morley pie eater »

medlocke wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:23 pm
Dreamteam wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 7:33 pm
medlocke wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 7:27 pm

really hope not
I can definitely see him going into the coaching set up when he leaves.
It's nailed on really isn't it, The jobs for the boys culture will continue as long as one of the boys is in charge
Wait for our first loss, and the "Peet out" cries to follow???
Exiled Wiganer
Posts: 2515
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:18 pm

Re: Wigan warriors players out of contract at the end of 2023

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

medlocke wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 7:16 pm Where's Powell, thought he only got two seasons (this and next), would be really awesome if he signed with Featherstone for 2024
While not out of contract, I think we would have to listen to any big money NRL offers for Powell.
medlocke
Posts: 9885
Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:57 am
Contact:

Re: Wigan warriors players out of contract at the end of 2023

Post by medlocke »

morley pie eater wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 12:35 pm
medlocke wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:23 pm
Dreamteam wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 7:33 pm

I can definitely see him going into the coaching set up when he leaves.
It's nailed on really isn't it, The jobs for the boys culture will continue as long as one of the boys is in charge
Wait for our first loss, and the "Peet out" cries to follow???
Why?
widdenoldboy
Posts: 1300
Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:25 pm

Re: Wigan warriors players out of contract at the end of 2023

Post by widdenoldboy »

josie andrews wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 10:10 am
Graham1 wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:09 pm Smithies has got to be the no 1 priority. Why do we let our good players go into the last year of their contracts?

We’ve lost 2 good academy lads because of that. We need to get smarter in our retention. Looking at that list KR is going to be busy this year.
We need to give long term ‘can’t get out early’ contracts to Smithies, Havard, Byrne & try & keep French, Field & Cust happy with good contracts because they more than likely not get a NRL spot now, or when their contracts are up here, because of their age & lots more young talent coming through over there until we have players ready to take over their roles from our academy or elsewhere.
There are a good crop of forwards coming through, I've just caught up with the Academy play-off games and I was impressed with Harvie Wilson at LF and Finley Beardsworth at SR. Max Wood made good yards as always and we already known about Hill and Nsemba.
Post Reply