Matt Peet's surprise Kevin Sinfield assistance helping Wigan Warriors progress

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Matt Peet's surprise Kevin Sinfield assistance helping Wigan Warriors progress

Post by josie andrews »

The Warriors boss has opened up on the time he's spent with the Leeds Rhinos legend.

Matt Peet has tapped into England rugby union coaches Steve Borthwick and Kevin Sinfield as he bids to lead Wigan Warriors to further glory in 2023. Rookie Peet took the reins at the DW Stadium last season and immediately delivered the Challenge Cup to his hometown club.

As Wigan and the rest of Super League aim to stop all-conquering St Helens from marching to a record-extending fifth successive Grand Final win, Peet has delved deep into the rival code. The studious Warriors boss, who lists poetry among his passions outside of rugby league, spent the off-season mixing it at Leicester Tigers, Saracens and the England set-up.

The 38-year-old told Rugby League Live: “I’m constantly looking for new ideas in search of best practice. I’ve been to Saracens, Leicester Tigers and was actually in the England camp in the week of Eddie Jones’ last game against South Africa in November. That was obviously an experience, and with all three visits I went for three days and had two overnight stays.

“Leicester are obviously the reigning Premiership champions and Steve Borthwick and Kev were still there when I visited. We spoke quite a bit about keeping focused on your fundamentals during the season.

“There’s a temptation to get distracted and we had some good conversations about keeping that big-game mentality and maintaining high standards in run-of-the-mill league fixtures. Steve and Kev were particularly helpful and I’ve had a few catch-ups with them both since my visit to Leicester. It works both ways and we have some of the best coaches coming here to Wigan Warriors as well to see what we do.”

During the Rugby League World Cup last autumn, Peet also met with coaches from across the globe, including Sydney Roosters boss Trent Robinson who was part of France’s coaching staff during the tournament.

Peet added: “Yes, I’ve been in to a few different environments and caught up with a few coaches during the World Cup. Trent Robinson made plenty of time for me and I went and had a good few hours with him. That was fantastic and Michael Maguire was in charge of New Zealand with (Wigan legend) Tommy Leuluai also part of the Kiwis’

“I got a bit more insight from them too, so I certainly tapped into plenty of resources and I’m still good friends with Paul Deacon and Mike Forshaw from my time working at Sale Sharks. The search for new ideas, techniques and approaches never ends but first and foremost it’s about trying to improve on what we did last year.”

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/ru ... d-25934427
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan