Douglas promoted to first team

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
medlocke

Re: Douglas promoted to first team

Post by medlocke »

nathan_rugby wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:16 am
Charriots Offiah wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 12:34 am Why couldn’t we have done this with Nicholson?
I think Rads has been quoted saying that every single academy promote to the first team gets offered the same 2 year contract.

Even if we did (is it known we didn’t offer him anything?), Warringtons offer by the sounds of it will have far exceeded it.
By the sounds of it it's more to do with his path to the NRL rather than money, he stays at Wigan he doesn't get enough first team action till at least 2024, at Warrington he's right in the shop window and the moneys just a bonus
First Try Tickle

Post by First Try Tickle »

medlocke wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 12:25 pm
Charriots Offiah wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 12:34 am Why couldn’t we have done this with Nicholson?
I think Rads has been quoted saying that every single academy promote to the first team gets offered the same 2 year contract.

Even if we did (is it known we didn’t offer him anything?), Warringtons offer by the sounds of it will have far exceeded it.
By the sounds of it it's more to do with his path to the NRL rather than money, he stays at Wigan he doesn't get enough first team action till at least 2024, at Warrington he's right in the shop window and the moneys just a bonus
That’s it Meds, when Rushton went to the NRL all the academy lads wanted to know how they could follow him, and first team experience is key. Even if it doesn’t work out, your still further up the pecking order when you return. My nephew is 13 and all the better players talk about going to the NRL.

It’s almost like we want the new lads coming through to be good but not too good. Good they stay, really good they leave.
ian.birchall

James Douglas

Post by ian.birchall »

Just watched the young man's first WiganTV interview after he gained his first team shirt.
With all his fidgets and scratches he was evidently as nervous as all get out but he must be pleased as punch to get the promotion. Hope he has a long successful career at the Club.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Sadly I think you're spot on it all comes down to the chance to suckle of the NRL gravy train and kids nowadays simply won't wait
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

fozzieskem wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:39 am

Sadly I think you're spot on it all comes down to the chance to suckle of the NRL gravy train and kids nowadays simply won't wait
can you blame them though

over here, what they going to earn approx 20k max?? (maybe a touch more if they are someone like Sam who had something about him at that age) or chance your arm in Oz where chances are you will become a better player (standards, environment etc) and better paid

i'm not saying i agree with what i've wrote, but you can fully understand if the opportunity is there, then why not take a chance as it may never come again