Whitehaven v Wigan - this weekend!

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
widdenoldboy

Whitehaven v Wigan - this weekend!

Post by widdenoldboy »

This game has come round fast - and very welcome it is!

Reminded by this article https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/he-can-b ... oon-66232/

"He can be a superstar" - Keith Mason tips son to be playing Super League soon - Rugby League News
Cam Pattison
3–4 minutes

Super League is presently home to a number of young players who have famous fathers.

Morgan Gannon son of Jim Gannon plies his trade at Leeds Rhinos alongside Kevin Sinfield’s son Jack.

Meanwhile Leon Pryce’s son Will burst onto the scene in 2021 at Huddersfield Giants and will head to Newcastle Knights in 2024.

The next of these young lads could be Lukas Mason, son of Keith Mason and his father is tipping him to play first team rugby sooner rather later at Wigan Warriors.

“He’s going really well mate, he had an outstanding year last year in the last year of his scholarship. He then played for the academy at the back end but he was only 16,” Keith Mason said to Serious About Rugby League.

“He’s had a really good pre-season, he’s 6 foot 2 now, just under 15 stone. He can play anywhere in the pack, loose-forward because he has a nice pair of hands. He can play prop and he can also play centre because he has pace.

“But I believe he could be playing first team on the 22nd January against Whitehaven. That’s amazing because he’s only just turned 17.

“I have a feeling, if he has a good season, Wigan will blood him into the first team at some point.”

He also explained the role he has had in his development as a player believing that he has what it takes to be “a superstar.”

“To be honest, a few years ago Lukas came to live with me. He was a skinny kid back then, he was gangly, he was skinny and tall. He was always tough and he was always going to get his size when he got older,” Mason said.

“I had him for three and a half years, I did mentor him because I missed some time with him because of personal reasons so when I got him, he’s grown six inches upwards and put on four or five stone.

“The great thing about being a father is watching what your kids do, that’s the essence of life.

“I trained with him every day after school, we travelled every day to Wigan, I was with him. He would train and I would run half marathons around Wigan, down the Wigan cannal.

“I was very hands on with him but I’m not a pushy parent. He’s my son first of all and I love him because he’s my son.

“Rugby side of things is something he’s always loved, he has progressed and he can go all the way, he can be a superstar.

“I truly believe that, I’m not saying that because he’s my son. He’s an outstanding player now and even Matty Peet is talking to him
Blackpool_Pie

Re: Whitehaven v Wigan - this weekend!

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

Keith Mason really loves himself doesn't he? Look at that picture 😅😅
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Harvie Hill says he's looking forward to going home for the opening game of pre-season against Whitehaven

Wigan Warriors take on Whitehaven in their opening game of pre-season this weekend

A squad made up of young players will make the trip up to the Recreation Ground on Sunday afternoon (K.O. 3pm).

For Warriors youngster Harvie Hill, it will be an opportunity to play at the stadium closest to where he grew up.

“I was a Whitehaven fan when I was younger,” he said.

It’ll be nice to play at home, with all of my family and friends there, it should be a good day.

It will certainly be wet and muddy in January.

“I used to go down a lot as a kid because my dad used to play for them, so I was there every week.

My family follow me all over, and travel from Cumbria.

“There are a few Cumbrians in our team, it’s a special place to come from.”

Hill picked up match experience with both the academy and the reserves last season.

He was also among the youngsters to make their Super League debuts in the game against Hull KR at Craven Park back in August.

“I played all three levels last year, it was a good experience,” he added.

Getting the award was nice, it was a good achievement and to see how proud my family were.

“It gives you an incentive that you can work towards what you need to do to follow the pathway of some of the names on the trophy, but obviously I know a lot of work is needed to get to their standard."

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... en-3989561
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
EDINBURGH-WARRIOR

Post by EDINBURGH-WARRIOR »

Blackpool_Pie wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:25 pm Keith Mason really loves himself doesn't he? Look at that picture 😅😅
Complete clown . Sounds like one of parents who put that much pressure on their son to succeed they are doomed for failure . Trying to put pressure on the lad and the club in this way is stupid .
Wish the lad well though (despite his father)

EW
2002 and EW is hooked
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Any chance the game is on Wigan TV live?
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

widdenoldboy wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:30 pm Any chance the game is on Wigan TV live?
I think so but don’t quote me!

At the Pat Richards evening when speaking to Mr Lenegan, I mentioned we were going to Whitehaven pre season game. He said “your mad, why don’t you watch it on Wigan TV?” I said we are going to Barrow as well cos we are “proper supporters” 😂😂

So I assume from that it’s on WWTV 😊
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

josie andrews wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:53 pm
widdenoldboy wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:30 pm Any chance the game is on Wigan TV live?

At the Pat Richards evening when speaking to Mr Lenegan, I mentioned we were going to Whitehaven pre season game. He said “your mad, why don’t you watch it on Wigan TV?” I said we are going to Barrow as well cos we are “proper supporters” 😂😂

Brilliant, if thought if anyone knew it would be you Josie :D

I've checked the site and no mention yet but if Lenners says its on, it must be on :lol:
pearsy

Post by pearsy »

Bet not many of the first team will play
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

widdenoldboy wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:01 pm
josie andrews wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:53 pm

Brilliant, if thought if anyone knew it would be you Josie :D

I've checked the site and no mention yet but if Lenners says its on, it must be on :lol:
I wouldn’t get my hopes up. It may not be live but I’ll ask 😊
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

pearsy wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:29 pm Bet not many of the first team will play
Think it’s all the young players for this game, maybe introduce a few older players for Barrow then perhaps a full squad for Sam Powell’s testimonial game 😊