Logan Astley sets out his targets for the 2023 season as he looks ahead to the Whitehaven game

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Logan Astley sets out his targets for the 2023 season as he looks ahead to the Whitehaven game

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan Warriors youngster Logan Astley says he wants to take every opportunity that comes his way throughout the 2023 campaign.

The 19-year-old made his Super League debut against Huddersfield Giants back in May, and also appeared in August’s away trip to Hull KR.

Astley admits there’s been some difficult moments throughout pre-season so far, but states he can feel the benefit.

He said: “Being one of the younger lads I was in a bit earlier, so it’s been around 12 weeks.

“There’s been some tough mornings where you’ve just got to get through it, but it’s all enjoyable in the end and it’s what makes you the player you are.

“You’ve just got to put the work in and go as hard as you can.

“Now everyone is back in, it’s definitely better.

“I can definitely see that I’ve improved from last year, it’s just about developing.

“It’s been long and tough but I can definitely feel the benefit from it.

“Having Tommy (Leuluai) as a player, and now a coach, I’ve learnt a lot. I also had Lee (Briers) last year as well.

“I’ve always been in a position where there’s been good people to help me.

“Harry (Smith) is the number seven this year, and I’m learning a lot from him as well.

“I want to play as many games as I can.

“There’ll be times where I might be needed and times when I’m on the fringes or not playing.

“As long as I keep training the same then there’ll be opportunities, and hopefully I can take them.

“The Super League games I played helped me get used to the physicality, and then once I can defend, my skill will come off the back of that.

“I’m confident that I’m a good enough player to be at that level.

“I feel like I’ll get better in every game I play because I’ll be learning more.

“All I can do is make an impression on people and try my best.

"Defensively I’ll try to make every tackle, and in attack I’ll try things, just playing the way I can.

“My target is just to play as many Super League games as I can. I’ll just take it as it comes, and hopefully this time next year I’ll be in a better position, pushing even more to start.”

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... me-3989762
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
The Pearl1

Re: Logan Astley sets out his targets for the 2023 season as he looks ahead to the Whitehaven game

Post by The Pearl1 »

We could do with him being decent, the club seem to rate him.
No straw damn us

Re: Logan Astley sets out his targets for the 2023 season as he looks ahead to the Whitehaven game

Post by No straw damn us »

The Pearl1 wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:24 pm We could do with him being decent, the club seem to rate him.
My only concern with Astley is that he seems to be "Kick Happy" which is a shame because he has a decent running/passing game and is reasonably quick.
Flash

Post by Flash »

No straw damn us wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:58 pm
The Pearl1 wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:24 pm We could do with him being decent, the club seem to rate him.
My only concern with Astley is that he seems to be "Kick Happy" which is a shame because he has a decent running/passing game and is reasonably quick.
I felt the same from my, admittedly limited, viewing of him last season. Is anyone at the club looking to address this to your knowledge Brian?
The Pearl1

Post by The Pearl1 »

a fixable trait though, just needs reps to improve decision making
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Thought this too think its probably something that is fruitful in junior grades with less organized and seasoned defenders

he needs some proper games, maybe see if he can get a loan
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
NICKYKISS

Post by NICKYKISS »

I thought he was excellent on Sunday. We went over for the game and I’ve watched it back since. That habit of kicking away possession in our area of the field looked to have been shelved and when he did try the little kick through, he collected and scored. His general kicking game looked good, his support play was extremely good and he was a threat throughout. I looked at him Sunday and felt he looked more robust than I could remember last year and looking at pictures of him from that HKR game to Sundays game, he definitely looks to have put some size on. It was very promising by him and hopefully we’ll see some games in the first team.
Big Steve

Post by Big Steve »

Am I correct in thinking he's played allot of Union?

Would explain the tendency to kick.

Looks a promising player from what I've seen
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Thought he had a very good game and kick selection was spot on, a vast improvement on what we saw last year in all comps.

TBF, his long kicking kept is in the game 1st half on Sunday.