Rocky

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Dreamteam

Re: Ryan Hampshire

Post by Dreamteam »

josie andrews wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:29 pm
Dreamteam wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:30 am
josie andrews wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:58 am

Why? We have Brad O’Neill, Tom Forber & Lewis Pinder!
Lewis isn’t at Wigan anymore
Is he not?
He was let go/not offered a contract. Whitehaven offered him a full time contract but he turned it down
Mickw

Re: Rocky

Post by Mickw »

I could see it if he was fit but the fact that he's not anywhere near being fit ,why give him a contract at the moment. Surely he needs to show he's fit to get a contract.
Jonh

Post by Jonh »

Other clubs offered him deals including Cas, which may have forced our hand.
tomyogi

rocky hampshire

Post by tomyogi »

who saw this coming with rocky resigning? not sure about this signing look at the history of signing back that left the club already doesnt really work?
:P :) :D ;) :o
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Can't really understand this one.

Are things really that bad?
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Jonh wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:03 pm
Shevvylad wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:53 am
Jonh wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:36 am

Well I am amazed if you think he has an ego.

He absolutely does not. He’s a cracking down to earth lad and always has been.

He wasn’t happy with the way he was being used at Wigan mainly because he was never allowed to play his natural game under a very structured Wane coached side.

He is a very hard working down to earth lad who will I’m confident give 100% at Wigan.
Well I will be happy to be shown that he has changed, but he used to be an arrogant bugger with a higher opinion of himself as a player than anyone around him. If he's lost that side of his character, then fair enough...
I’ve known him and coached him for a bit since he was 13 and I’ve never regarded him or known him to be arrogant at all.

I’ve also never heard anyone else describe him as that. He’s always been quite a shy lad from my experience of him.

Only coach I’ve ever known for him to click with was Wane but he never fitted into a side coached the way Wane coached. I think a lot of fans couldn’t understand that and accused him of having an attitude when the reality was neither were a good fit for each other.
This is my point. If you buy a "squad" player who can "cover", you want a no-nonsense player who will/can happily play in any position he is given and not moan about it.

Unless something has changed, I don't believe that person is Hampshire.
Jonh

Post by Jonh »

Wintergreen wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:56 pm Can't really understand this one.

Can’t understand we have signed a proven SL player to add depth to the squad and provide cover at 1, 2, 5, 6, 7 & 9.

If he was signed to be a starter then I get the point, but he hasn’t so I don’t really get what hard to understand.
Mickw

Post by Mickw »

Jonh wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:39 pm Other clubs offered him deals including Cas, which may have forced our hand.
that shouldn't matter at all, I'd prefer we backed our youngsters to take their chance but anyhow good luck to him in his recovery ,let's hope its not waisted cap money.
Jonh

Post by Jonh »

Wintergreen wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:58 pm
Jonh wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:03 pm
Shevvylad wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:53 am

Well I will be happy to be shown that he has changed, but he used to be an arrogant bugger with a higher opinion of himself as a player than anyone around him. If he's lost that side of his character, then fair enough...
I’ve known him and coached him for a bit since he was 13 and I’ve never regarded him or known him to be arrogant at all.

I’ve also never heard anyone else describe him as that. He’s always been quite a shy lad from my experience of him.

Only coach I’ve ever known for him to click with was Wane but he never fitted into a side coached the way Wane coached. I think a lot of fans couldn’t understand that and accused him of having an attitude when the reality was neither were a good fit for each other.
This is my point. If you buy a "squad" player who can "cover", you want a no-nonsense player who will/can happily play in any position he is given and not moan about it.

Unless something has changed, I don't believe that person is Hampshire.
He was probably the best junior half in the country when he came through.

He was playing in a team under Peet that played a very expansive style of rugby.

He came in to the first team and was asked to change his style to fit in with a much more structured style and that didn’t work.

He went to Cas on loan and was happy to play on the wing and at 1 under a more free flowing side at the time coached by Powell.

I think a lot of things were somewhat exaggerated when he left when the reality is the systems at Wigan at that time could not get the best out of him.
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

Jonh wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:02 pm
Wintergreen wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:56 pm Can't really understand this one.

Can’t understand we have signed a proven SL player to add depth to the squad and provide cover at 1, 2, 5, 6, 7 & 9.

If he was signed to be a starter then I get the point, but he hasn’t so I don’t really get what hard to understand.
Everything about the signing makes sense. having a solid proven player as back up is not a bad position to be in.