Rocky

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
No straw damn us

Re: Rocky

Post by No straw damn us »

The truth is it's a low risk signing which may or may not work. Hampshire will know that he will have to perform well to get a contract for 2024/25.
The comments on both the Wakefield and Cas fan sites are encouraging, so let's just give him a chance.
I remember how the signing of Paul Deacon was greeted by many fans and that turned out o.k.

Hampshires big plus IMO is his ability to cover so many positions without us having to swap the whole team around if any injuries occur.

The concern has to be his acl injury but he's only just turned twenty-eight so hopefully he will be o.k. I don't know who we could have signed to provide that amount of cover for the salary.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Rugby League Agent: Ryan Hampshire could be one of the greatest signings I’ve seen following Wigan Warriors move

THERE was a major shock in the Super League recruitment and retention market last week when Ryan Hampshire returned to the club where he shot onto the scene – Wigan Warriors.

After a spell with Castleford Tigers, where he picked up a devastating ACL injury, it was widely thought that the livewire would sign a new deal at the Jungle.

However, the Warriors announced his signing at the end of last week, and, according to leading rugby league agent Craig Harrison of Show Me The Money UK, it is a ‘sensational call’.

“It’s the best bit of business that any club does this year,” Harrison said on the Show Me The Money UK TV: Inside the Deal podcast.

“Wigan wouldn’t have signed a player of Ryan’s magnitude if they hadn’t done a full fitness test on him – whereabouts he is on his rehab, he spent about two-and-a-half hours with the strength and conditioning coaches – he had been to Wigan three or four times in space of six weeks.

“Wigan seemed like they needed to get to know whether Ryan was the same person he was when he was 19 or 20 when he was a big star at Wigan. People give their opinions either way.

“Ryan was a young lad who had the world on his shoulders. He exploded at Wigan, we already knew Ryan Hampshire had been thought of like that and he was fantastic in the academy. At 15 or 16, he was right up there with any player I’ve ever seen.

Harrison also believes that the influence of Wigan boss Matt Peet was crucial in getting the deal over the line.

“The Wigan phone call was Matt Peet-driven. He’s had so much time for Ryan from being a young lad. Matt kept friends with Ryan and would ring him after each different club move.

“It tells you a lot about Matt, that if he always knew being in a position of head coach he would come for Ryan.

“Ryan now has now excuses, he is in there and has the potential to play for the second favourites to win Super League. Ryan has spent years improving, yardage and defensively so this could be one of the greatest signings I’ve ever seen.”

With the cost of Hampshire and his utility value, Harrison believes the deal is ‘very good business’.

‘He can play, halfback and fullback as well as wing. I don’t think Wigan are deep in the halves and I don’t think Bevan (French) or Jai (Field) would be strong in the halves. Ryan is a better half than those two.

“For what it’s cost them, it’s very good business. To get a player that’s played over 100 Super League games and still be his age.

“Who would you get at any Super League club for that ability, for the money they’ve paid and someone who can play in three positions?

Matt Peet is a guy who has signed you after tracking you from the age of 21, then this will work. Ryan knows he isn’t a starting choice, he used to get upset about his squad number.

“It’s a big call for a big coach. It’s a fantastic deal and this will be a sensational call.

https://www.totalrl.com/rugby-league-ag ... iors-move/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Met Ryan tonight, can’t believe he remembered me!, he seems to be genuinely buzzing to be back here.

Wish him good luck with his rehab 😊
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

josie andrews wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:07 am Met Ryan tonight, can’t believe he remembered me!, he seems to be genuinely buzzing to be back here.

Watch out bevan french lol
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Firestarter wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:12 am
josie andrews wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:07 am Met Ryan tonight, can’t believe he remembered me!, he seems to be genuinely buzzing to be back here.

Nah, Bevan will always be special along with Kai Pearce-Paul who speaks to me online regularly 😊

It’s Morgan Smithies, Ethan Havard in front of Ryan. 😊

At least I can put 13 on the back of my home shirt again 😂

Speaking to Ryan, he has really grown up & matured from the ‘cocky Rocky’ of his academy days & came chatting to us a few times during the night.

We had Smithies sat next to me & Singleton was also on our table. Very well presented event last night, really impressed with how these events the club are organising are turning out.

Well done to the all the hospitality staff 👏🏼👏🏼😊
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

It's good our staff evaluated him, but I'd also like to have sren an independent evaluation. It's tricky to be objective with someone that either you know personally or is known to the organization, they get the benefit of the doubt more often than someone independent. A lot of this would be judgement calls on his injury too.

Let's hope this works out and isn't a reoccurrence on his first couple of bench appearances. If that happens then rose tinted specs could be a culprit - wishing someone along on their recovery too soon to show that the signing was a good one.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Mike wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:38 am It's good our staff evaluated him, but I'd also like to have sren an independent evaluation. It's tricky to be objective with someone that either you know personally or is known to the organization, they get the benefit of the doubt more often than someone independent. A lot of this would be judgement calls on his injury too.

Let's hope this works out and isn't a reoccurrence on his first couple of bench appearances. If that happens then rose tinted specs could be a culprit - wishing someone along on their recovery too soon to show that the signing was a good one.
Indeed, let's hope it's not a horror show.
Fan4Fifty

Post by Fan4Fifty »

From a young age Ryan always wanted to play at Wigan so I'm sure he'll absolutely relish this second chance as a more mature player. He didn't live up to his own and other people's expectations in his first spell but equally never let us down whenever he had his chances and when fully fit he certainly adds even more pace to our halves/three-quarters. As for the ACL, if he recovers anything like as well as Liam Marshall has from 2 such injuries, then he'll do OK.
lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

I know it's his agent but according to Craig Harrison Ryan as been into Wigan for five or so weeks. He's already running on it and hitting targets. This is a Matty Peet signing all day long, a gamble yes but could turn into a very good one. Only time will tell but the noises from all sides of this seem very positive. Obviously until he's doing it on the field some will doubt the logic in this which is fair enough.
I hope he gets and stays fit and does a good job I'm pretty sure it won't be lack of effort if it doesn't work out.
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

josie andrews wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:28 am
Firestarter wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:12 am

Nah, Bevan will always be special along with Kai Pearce-Paul who speaks to me online regularly 😊

It’s Morgan Smithies, Ethan Havard in front of Ryan. 😊

At least I can put 13 on the back of my home shirt again 😂

Speaking to Ryan, he has really grown up & matured from the ‘cocky Rocky’ of his academy days & came chatting to us a few times during the night.

We had Smithies sat next to me & Singleton was also on our table. Very well presented event last night, really impressed with how these events the club are organising are turning out.

Well done to the all the hospitality staff 👏🏼👏🏼😊
i hope he smashes it like all wigan fans but only time will tell
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE