Rocky

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Blackpool_Pie

Re: Rocky

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

One thing possibly worth pointing out is the Cas (and Wakefield fans) on social media who are saying they wish he was at their club.

For me, he must have potential if he can get fit, but having a backup who is 2 months away from full training - then will need fitness isn't ideal at all. Especially the type of injury he has and the type of player he is, it'll be touch and go weather he will even be able to get his full fitness back for this season. Either way I wish the lad all the best and hope he proves any of us doubters wrong!
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Got to say i thought we needed a back up half before the season started but is rocky the answer?It definitely does seem like a panic buy as all the other backup halves have been snapped up( i think)….. im not quite sure if the positives outweigh the negatives in this signing…..did he come dirt cheap?( possibly)….. could we have signed better?(certainly but the cost would be more)……. Are we keeping money on the cap for a mid season backrower?(i think so……. He can definately cover most back positions but being injured has thrown me to the negative side of this signing…… is it like astley has to prove himself before hes fit?( seems like it to me , providing he gets his chance)…… i would have personally gone for gaz obrien as hes fit and a decent cover at half/ fullback but not a threequarter….. im sure time will tell but i think the negative are slightly more due to the injury he already has
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Big Steve

Post by Big Steve »

He provides good experienced cover across a wide number of positions we are a little short in He probably comes pretty cheap on the SC.

Matty Peet knows him well, and we know how focused he is on getting the right type of player in with the right attitude so I think I'd trust his judgement on this one.

Expecting any of my the younger kids such as Astley to fill in long term are unrealistic and it still allows them to have time in the first team too. Looks like a good option to me.
Shevvylad

Post by Shevvylad »

Bobby-WRL wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:27 pm Who would have thought that all of you know better than Matt P and Wane ?
They really should have consulted with the experts on here first .
Because all the other examples of re-signing old players have been a great successes.....

It's called discussion..as in discussion forum.???
Fujiman

Post by Fujiman »

Listening to his interview he said we made contact a couple of months ago.
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

I'm curious to know who we think we've re-signed and it's been a complete disaster?

I personally think we've had players return and they've clearly been carrying injuries or their individual game has changed, but I don't think I've looked at anyone and thought this should have been completely avoided.

That said, we've has so many return, I've probably lost track 🤣.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Dodgy to sign an injured player no matter how potentially useful IMO.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Gerrumonside

Post by Gerrumonside »

Reading the thread it’s quite a divided opinion, but for me it’s a positive. Yes we know he’s injured but come the 2nd half of the season where wear and tear is accumulating on our small squad, it’s a good thing we’ve a player who’s at a good super league standard, maybe with some unfinished cherry n white business, and can cover many positions across the back line - not sure what the problem is… good luck to him and hope he does us proud :D
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

CheshireWarrior wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:15 am I'm curious to know who we think we've re-signed and it's been a complete disaster?

I personally think we've had players return and they've clearly been carrying injuries or their individual game has changed, but I don't think I've looked at anyone and thought this should have been completely avoided.

That said, we've has so many return, I've probably lost track 🤣.
For me most,if not all haven't lived up to their past deeds maybe rose tinted specs but bar the season where Sam finally found his form just as he signed for catalan none have raised the roof.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Mike wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:56 am Dodgy to sign an injured player no matter how potentially useful IMO.
You'd think wigan would learn that wouldn't you,?