Rocky

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Flash

Re: Rocky

Post by Flash »

https://m.facebook.com/wakefieldtrinity ... 399956508/

Good highlights reel there, just from his time at Wakey. The lad has pace, good hands, good support play and is an excellent finisher. Not sure what else you could want from a squad player.

There is a question mark over the injury, of course, but if you check out his rehab reel on his Twitter feed he seems to be running pretty fluidly there.
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

Probably not surprising that this signing has divided opinion. It seems to tick the boxes of shrewd signing and nepotism so take your pick which side of the fence you're on.

On the one hand, I seriously doubt we'd be interested in a player like Hampshire had he not previously been at the club and player under the head coach. He's had chances at a few clubs but never been able to make himself anything more than a squad player. At his very best he was never good enough to seriously interest any of the top clubs. He's also currently recovering from a serious injury and we've had plenty of experience that shows a serious injury doesn't always lead to a quick and easy return to playing. It seems better the devil you know has gone from idiom to official transfer policy in the last decade.

On the other hand, at his best he was a reasonable Super League standard player and if he's on a contract you'd expect for a back up player along the lines of someone like Miski then expectation isn't particularly high and he's here in case a key player gets injured to give us more options.

It's worth pointing out that generally the club like to give young players some consistent loan experience in the Championship before they make the step up to first team and our young players in the halves and backs haven't really had that opportunity so this signing provides a bit of a backup plan. Bringing in Hampshire may give a bit of leeway during the middle part of the season to send younger players out on loan for a consistent period of time without the risk of having to recall them.

His previous time at the club means very little, as does his potential as an 18/19/20 year old. That player is long gone. What we can hope for is that he learns and adapts his game as he nears 30. A lot of players in playmaking positions adapt as they get older and lose a bit of pace and agility and have to become smarter and learn to read a game better. So hopefully under the guidance of Matt Peet, Lockers and Leuluai he can become a late bloomer.

Basically I'm on the fence with this one. Not the worst signing if he recovers fully and is able to offer something decent for the majority of the year. It's fair to be sceptical about signing an injured player though.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

EagleEyePie wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:10 pm Probably not surprising that this signing has divided opinion. It seems to tick the boxes of shrewd signing and nepotism so take your pick which side of the fence you're on.

On the one hand, I seriously doubt we'd be interested in a player like Hampshire had he not previously been at the club and player under the head coach. He's had chances at a few clubs but never been able to make himself anything more than a squad player. At his very best he was never good enough to seriously interest any of the top clubs. He's also currently recovering from a serious injury and we've had plenty of experience that shows a serious injury doesn't always lead to a quick and easy return to playing. It seems better the devil you know has gone from idiom to official transfer policy in the last decade.

On the other hand, at his best he was a reasonable Super League standard player and if he's on a contract you'd expect for a back up player along the lines of someone like Miski then expectation isn't particularly high and he's here in case a key player gets injured to give us more options.

It's worth pointing out that generally the club like to give young players some consistent loan experience in the Championship before they make the step up to first team and our young players in the halves and backs haven't really had that opportunity so this signing provides a bit of a backup plan. Bringing in Hampshire may give a bit of leeway during the middle part of the season to send younger players out on loan for a consistent period of time without the risk of having to recall them.

His previous time at the club means very little, as does his potential as an 18/19/20 year old. That player is long gone. What we can hope for is that he learns and adapts his game as he nears 30. A lot of players in playmaking positions adapt as they get older and lose a bit of pace and agility and have to become smarter and learn to read a game better. So hopefully under the guidance of Matt Peet, Lockers and Leuluai he can become a late bloomer.

Basically I'm on the fence with this one. Not the worst signing if he recovers fully and is able to offer something decent for the majority of the year. It's fair to be sceptical about signing an injured player though.
But and I know I’ll get jumped on for this the bit in bold could be 100% applied to Powell and he’s a starter in a key position for us

This is what I don’t get people can’t be angry and this signing and support powells position in the team
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:06 pm
EagleEyePie wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:10 pm Probably not surprising that this signing has divided opinion. It seems to tick the boxes of shrewd signing and nepotism so take your pick which side of the fence you're on.

But and I know I’ll get jumped on for this the bit in bold could be 100% applied to Powell and he’s a starter in a key position for us

This is what I don’t get people can’t be angry and this signing and support powells position in the team
Good one

I'm not happy with either
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

I prefer to comment on what actually happens rather than on a presumption of what may happen. The slates been swiped clean as far as I am concerned and I will be posting based on actual performances during the season.
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

There must be some variation of Godwin's Law that states if a discussion on this forum goes on long enough the probability of someone mentioning Sam Powell approaches 1. I'm not going to go there. Suffice to say I think there's a difference between the two.
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

Is that the famous R(ocky) number that was meant to terrorise us during covid?
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
archiekeith

Post by archiekeith »

Shevvylad wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:00 am
Bobby-WRL wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:27 pm Who would have thought that all of you know better than Matt P and Wane ?
They really should have consulted with the experts on here first .
Because all the other examples of re-signing old players have been a great successes.....

It's called discussion..as in discussion forum.???
Yes,and what Shevvy lad sugges is called sarcasm which doesn't debar him from any discussion even if it's simply hot air,so to speak because the deeds all ready been done. Let's see what comes of it. I wish the lad well
archiekeith

Post by archiekeith »

Apologies Shevvie I meant your interlocutor
archiekeith

Post by archiekeith »

Bobby-WRL wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:27 pm Who would have thought that all of you know better than Matt P and Wane ?
They really should have consulted with the experts on here first .
Yes check my poSt :D