Rocky

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
fozzieskem

Re: Rocky

Post by fozzieskem »

Southern Softy wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:14 am Well, no one can deny we need cover in the halves and full-back but this has to be one of the strangest deals. He won't be fit for at least two months and will then need a spell to get up to SL speed again so it's hard to imagine that he would be ready to play until June/July at the earliest and that assumes no setbacks. An early injury to Cust/Smith means that we would still have to unbalance the team to cope.
I assume that this is some kind of long-term strategy to have him around (those options for a couple of years) but frankly, it's a bit puzzling to understand.
You can't make it up can you,jobs for the boys that's for sure
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

Odd one this but there appears to be some logic in it.
As has been said he can cover quite a few positions but has injury history and that's a worry.
However availability will be thin on the ground at the moment and I'll judge him on future performances not past.
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
Shevvylad

Post by Shevvylad »

Jonh wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:26 am
Shevvylad wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:33 am What a ridiculous situation...is this the level of ambition we are really holding ? Hampshire is an over rated never
-really -was, waiting to become a has-been. His ego will have a devastating effect on the younger lads coming into the first team squad this season, and he simply isn't good enough (despite his opinion of himself) to justify any portion of the salary cap. Will the club ever learn about return signings ??

Do you know Rocky?
I used to. Actually, I'm distantly related to him, but that's not how I know/knew him.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

lucky 13 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:12 am Signed good cover.
I’ll put the link to this news on for you!

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2023/01/ ... for-wigan/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

I think his dad was the main instigator of Ryan leaving in the first place as Wane saw him as a FB but his dad wanted & instilled in him that he was a half!
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
josie andrews

Re: Ryan Hampshire

Post by josie andrews »

Mauny6 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:09 am Surprise signing where do we think he'll play back up to powell maybe.
Why? We have Brad O’Neill, Tom Forber & Lewis Pinder!
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

If we wanted a back up for the halves then why not go for Luke Gale
Silky

Post by Silky »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:12 am
Graham1 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:59 am Another example of poor recruitment when will we learn. We are crying out for second row cover and we buy a player where we are well covered . He’s not even fit, no matter the size of contract surely we could use the money more wisely like making sure we keep our best young academy players instead of losing them to other teams. Logan must be over the moon with his return, another season in the reserves.
Is this True?

you have 2 starting positions for 2nd Row - to my knowledge we have 5 players who are super league seasoned and could start

Farrell, KPP, Smithies, ISA, Shorrocks

In terms of the positions that Rocky will be covering which is pretty much the entire back line but lets focus on the positions ive seen him playing

without moving another starter (if you go by kit numbers and French is a starting winger) we have no cover at fullback - we have miski to cover wing and no cover in the halfs outside of youngsters

so actually its the backs we need more seasoned pro cover in
Exactly this. I’m struggling to see peoples problem with this signing. He’s been re-habbing with Cas all pre-season and will only miss the first 6 weeks of the season or so. He isn’t coming as first choice but as cover for a number of positions, particularly halfback where we have no back up since Tommy’s retirement. Don’t give me Astley, he’s not ready for a run of games yet. He also kicks goals well, something we have zero depth in after Smith as well. He and Peet know each other well and he now has plenty of super league experience and has only just turned 28 so should be coming into his peak. He will prove to be a good squad signing.
Dreamteam

Re: Ryan Hampshire

Post by Dreamteam »

josie andrews wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:58 am
Mauny6 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:09 am Surprise signing where do we think he'll play back up to powell maybe.
Why? We have Brad O’Neill, Tom Forber & Lewis Pinder!
Lewis isn’t at Wigan anymore
WarriorWinger

Post by WarriorWinger »

Speaking on signing, Ryan Hampshire commented: “I am delighted to be coming back to Wigan. I am a different person from 7-years ago and keen to show the Wigan fans my commitment and capabilities. I look forward to the opportunity to help Wigan win more trophies and to earning the respect and confidence of my teammates.”

Judging by the quopte from Rocky himself it appears he recognises he had the wrong attitude in his first stint with us so hopefully he will understand he plays where needed and not where he wants to