Rocky

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wiganer Ted

Re: Rocky

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Could be a good signing.
Injuries will occur and we've brought in an experienced half who can also kick goals.
Ryan has also played at 1 plus wing.

As has been said, he won't be on a fortune but brings with him plenty SL experience.
A good option rather than move Field and French should problems arise in the halves.
w.thomas

Post by w.thomas »

Wasn’t that good first time round, can’t understand resigning him. Smacks of a rads jobs for the boys signing. He also fits the usual bill of being crocked. Can’t understand this one myself but like any player we sign I will give him a chance and wait to see if he proves me wrong.
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

I don't think its that bad of a signing at all, experienced at fullback and in the halves! Displaced Matty Bowen at FB for quite a few week in 2015 if I recall correctly.

Got to bee good news for those who want to see Cust at 9 if Powell or O'Neill are injured. Either way, its an experienced SL signing who I imagine hasn't cost an arm and a leg!
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Not upset or happy with this.

We have our star signing so with the state of the SL Cap I wouldn't expect much more.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

medlocke wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:02 am If we wanted a back up for the halves then why not go for Luke Gale
Agreed plus he could have given the secret of regrowing his head of hair :D
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Jonh wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:06 pm
Wintergreen wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:58 pm
Jonh wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:03 pm

I’ve known him and coached him for a bit since he was 13 and I’ve never regarded him or known him to be arrogant at all.

I’ve also never heard anyone else describe him as that. He’s always been quite a shy lad from my experience of him.

Only coach I’ve ever known for him to click with was Wane but he never fitted into a side coached the way Wane coached. I think a lot of fans couldn’t understand that and accused him of having an attitude when the reality was neither were a good fit for each other.
This is my point. If you buy a "squad" player who can "cover", you want a no-nonsense player who will/can happily play in any position he is given and not moan about it.

Unless something has changed, I don't believe that person is Hampshire.
He was probably the best junior half in the country when he came through.

He was playing in a team under Peet that played a very expansive style of rugby.

He came in to the first team and was asked to change his style to fit in with a much more structured style and that didn’t work.

He went to Cas on loan and was happy to play on the wing and at 1 under a more free flowing side at the time coached by Powell.

I think a lot of things were somewhat exaggerated when he left when the reality is the systems at Wigan at that time could not get the best out of him.
All ancient history though,sorry he's never settled anywhere look at his list of clubs tells you that deeply underwhelming signing who will be in the starting squad when and if he's ever fit this season,you don't buy players for cover at that age
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Hmm, some good positives quoted here that might come to fruition, I think folk are worried that this will p*** off the up and coming players.

I don't get that Rocky is seen as "One of the boys" since we didn't let him have his own way and then let him go?

TBH that chapter was hard to understand with Williams at 7 and Rocky at 6 we were killing it at Academy level. Williams then went to 6 and Rocky to anywhere but 6.
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

Initially I was very disappointed with the news but I can see what Matty is hoping for from Rocky. I just wish he wasn't injured. ACL's take an awful lot of getting over and players that depend on speed and evasiveness like Rocky can take more than a year to get back their full ability. Don't forget, even when he's fit to train, he's had no meaningful preseason. Good luck to the lad and let's hope his recovery continues on schedule and that, if we get any serious injuries in the positions he can cover, it isn't until May or later.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

fozzieskem wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 4:43 pm
medlocke wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:02 am If we wanted a back up for the halves then why not go for Luke Gale
Agreed plus he could have given the secret of regrowing his head of hair :D
I hear its a Turkish secret.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Bobby-WRL

Post by Bobby-WRL »

All the negative comments 😂. Should we sack Peet now then?
Thick