Wigan squad for Barrow

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Wigan squad for Barrow

Post by josie andrews »

19-man squad named for Sunday’s pre-season game v Barrow.
Reserves Head Coach, John Winder, will lead the squad for Wigan’s second pre-season game in 2023.
Barrow Raiders v Wigan Warriors, Sunday 29th January, 3pm K.O.
Wigan Warriors have named a 19-player squad for Sunday’s pre-season game against Barrow Raiders.

The Warriors Reserves Head Coach, John Winder, will take charge as Wigan travel to the Betfred Championship outfit at Craven Park Barrow.

Team News

John Winder has named a 19-player squad consisting of Academy, Reserves and first team players. Alex Sutton, Jacob Douglas and Logan Astley are all named once more after getting on the scoresheet against Whitehaven along with a number of stand-out players from the game.

First team regulars Abbas Miski, Brad O’Neill, Joe Shorrocks, Kaide Ellis and Patrick Mago are also named in the travelling squad.

Wigan squad to face Barrow:

Abbas Miski
Adam Jones
Alex Sutton
Brad O’Neill
Ellis Hobson
Finley Beardsworth
Harvey Wilson
Harvie Hill
Jacob Douglas
Joe Shorrocks
Junior Nsemba
Kaide Ellis
Kieran Tyrer
Logan Astley
Patrick Mago
Ramon Silva
Reagan Sumner
Tom Forber
Zack Eckersley

Watch Live

Can’t make the trip to Barrow? You can watch Sunday’s pre-season fixture LIVE on Wigan TV.

Not tried Wigan TV before? Now is a great chance to explore our extensive archive of classic Wigan matches, as well as all the latest behind-the-scenes action, exclusive interviews with players and coaches, special features and match highlights.

Wigan TV is the ONLY place where you can see full match replays of every first team game in 2023 – ALL FOR LESS THAN £39 A YEAR.

If you’re not already a subscriber, click here today to join. Choose a monthly (£5.99), quarterly (£11.99) or annual (£38.99) subscription with no contract. Pay with PayPal or credit/debit card. Sign-up today by clicking here. All subscriptions renew automatically unless cancelled. For Wigan TV FAQs click here.

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2023/01/ ... or-barrow/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
southportcdm

Re: Wigan squad for Barrow

Post by southportcdm »

Good to see Ellis and Mago included. I wonder if this is a hint about them having to step it up a level this season or simply a test of their fitness. Interesting but not surprised to see Miski included as he's the only player who played (and did well) in the World Cup to be picked so far. Match practise or shop window? Has O'Neill has been reminded of his place in the squad (i.e. behind Powell)? If so I hope he has a blinder. I'd love to see him take a step forward this season. Looking forward to see if any of the youngsters can make a good impression for the second game in a row.
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

southportcdm wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:45 pm Good to see Ellis and Mago included. I wonder if this is a hint about them having to step it up a level this season or simply a test of their fitness. Interesting but not surprised to see Miski included as he's the only player who played (and did well) in the World Cup to be picked so far. Match practise or shop window? Has O'Neill has been reminded of his place in the squad (i.e. behind Powell)? If so I hope he has a blinder. I'd love to see him take a step forward this season. Looking forward to see if any of the youngsters can make a good impression for the second game in a row.
Looking forward to this more that I should be :)
Expecting a response from Astley and Eckersley....
Dreamteam

Post by Dreamteam »

Time to see what shape mago is in
w.thomas

Post by w.thomas »

I’d like to think peets giving Ellis and Mago a little boot up the rear end and to get them to up their game. I know there’s a good player in both of them if they can put a bit more effort in. Looking forward to the game and to see the delights of deepest darkest barrow! 😏
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Went up to Whitehaven last week, the temperature there was 7 degrees higher than in Wigan!

Hope Barrow is even better & hopefully drier than the last time we played there. It was torrential rain for the full game!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Has Mago lost weight? He looks a bit more slim-line to me.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

A very enjoyable game. Tom Forber looks an excellent prospect.
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

A very competitive game again. Barrow just too strong on the edges and smarter with how they moved the ball. They also dealt far better with the wind against them in the first half than we did in the second. Our backs were just a bit too lightweight to make ground when we were pinned in our own half.

Tom Forber was probably our best player. A real threat from dummy half, quick in terms of pace but also decision making. Strong in defence too and he outplayed O'Neill. Eckersley was excellent at left centre and put two tries on a plate for Miski. I can see why the club weren't too concerned about letting Halsall leave.

Harvie Hill was probably our best prop again. Maybe he'll get a bit of loan time in the Championship this year as he looks more than capable of holding his own at this level.

Shorrocks, Nsemba and Beardsworth were solid in the back row. Shorrocks heavily involved but discipline wasn't the best. Nsemba was effective when he got into it but he needs a bit of a kick up the backside every now and then it seems.

The halves didn't really get as much chance to impress but I thought Adam Jones put in some excellent efforts in defence. He definitely isn't shy of a tackle which is good to see in a half.

Ellis was solid if unspectacular early on but only had one spell. Mago was a bit disappointing in his first stint but made an impact when he came back on with his offloads.

Miski put in plenty of effort with his carries but he's just not really a threat.
PJC

Post by PJC »

Is Kieran Tyrer any relation to our Colin ?…..,..grandson?