Ian Lenagan maps out Wigan Warriors’ future ownership landscape after admission

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Ian Lenagan maps out Wigan Warriors’ future ownership landscape after admission

Post by josie andrews »

Lenagan has controlled the club for well over a decade.

Wigan Warriors chairman Ian Lenagan insists he has no immediate plans to relinquish control of the club but admits he is plotting for the future. Wigan-born billionaire businessman and data king Mike Danson bought a 25% stake in the Super League club in 2020 and has been linked with a full takeover at some point.

Lenagan says the club’s future direction will be party driven by the strength of his sons Simon and Adrian’s desire to drive the Warriors forward in the years to come. Lenagan, speaking at Wigan’s pre-season media day, told Rugby League Live: “Mike Danson owns 25% of Wigan Warriors and I’m delighted because I have single-handedly carried the club for the majority of my stewardship.

It’s nice to have somebody else putting a quarter of the money in and that will continue, without any doubt. The future direction of the club depends on whether or not my sons actively take Wigan further forward or whether Mike wants to do that. I have to make plans for both scenarios because I’m 76 now and am not going to carry on forever.

"Somebody is going to take over at some point in time and it will either be my family or it will be Mike. Whether or not Mike continues with a minority stake – 25% or something different – is up to him in the end. It’s just about how you share the funding that needs to go into the club.”

Lenagan pointed to other clubs with wealthy benefactors in Super League such as Hull Kington Rovers supremo Neil Hudgell. Hudgell remains at the club as majority shareholder and owner, but the Robins have recently added Ian Richardson and Andy Steele to their board of directors.

Lenagan reasoned: “It’s significant that Hull KR have done that now with two more directors because Neil wants to spread the load and who doesn’t want to spread the load? Ken Davy at Huddersfield Giants has put £20million into his club and David Hughes likewise at London Broncos – I ran London Broncos for three years so I know. It’s a drain financially, but you have to have plans and I’ve got a number of alternative plans.”

Lenagan, when asked if he was likely to relinquish control of Wigan any time soon, added: “I’ve been asked that question for probably 10 years now. I’m delighted to have Mike involved and he’s in the software business as well. You can never say what will happen, but I have no intention of relinquishing control in the immediate future. Ultimately, however, I will have to relinquish control, either to my sons – who are both very keen Wigan fans – or to somebody else.”

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/ru ... dium=email
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
jobo

Re: Ian Lenagan maps out Wigan Warriors’ future ownership landscape after admission

Post by jobo »

josie andrews wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:16 am Lenagan has controlled the club for well over a decade.

Wigan Warriors chairman Ian Lenagan insists he has no immediate plans to relinquish control of the club but admits he is plotting for the future. Wigan-born billionaire businessman and data king Mike Danson bought a 25% stake in the Super League club in 2020 and has been linked with a full takeover at some point.

Lenagan says the club’s future direction will be party driven by the strength of his sons Simon and Adrian’s desire to drive the Warriors forward in the years to come. Lenagan, speaking at Wigan’s pre-season media day, told Rugby League Live: “Mike Danson owns 25% of Wigan Warriors and I’m delighted because I have single-handedly carried the club for the majority of my stewardship.

It’s nice to have somebody else putting a quarter of the money in and that will continue, without any doubt. The future direction of the club depends on whether or not my sons actively take Wigan further forward or whether Mike wants to do that. I have to make plans for both scenarios because I’m 76 now and am not going to carry on forever.

"Somebody is going to take over at some point in time and it will either be my family or it will be Mike. Whether or not Mike continues with a minority stake – 25% or something different – is up to him in the end. It’s just about how you share the funding that needs to go into the club.”

Lenagan pointed to other clubs with wealthy benefactors in Super League such as Hull Kington Rovers supremo Neil Hudgell. Hudgell remains at the club as majority shareholder and owner, but the Robins have recently added Ian Richardson and Andy Steele to their board of directors.

Lenagan reasoned: “It’s significant that Hull KR have done that now with two more directors because Neil wants to spread the load and who doesn’t want to spread the load? Ken Davy at Huddersfield Giants has put £20million into his club and David Hughes likewise at London Broncos – I ran London Broncos for three years so I know. It’s a drain financially, but you have to have plans and I’ve got a number of alternative plans.”

Lenagan, when asked if he was likely to relinquish control of Wigan any time soon, added: “I’ve been asked that question for probably 10 years now. I’m delighted to have Mike involved and he’s in the software business as well. You can never say what will happen, but I have no intention of relinquishing control in the immediate future. Ultimately, however, I will have to relinquish control, either to my sons – who are both very keen Wigan fans – or to somebody else.”

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/ru ... dium=email
In my opinion, he's a lifelong fan and has done the club proud so, anything he decides is fine by me.
Good lad Leneghan 👍
Gerrumonside

Re: Ian Lenagan maps out Wigan Warriors’ future ownership landscape after admission

Post by Gerrumonside »

Totally agree - we’ve been lucky to have him as our owner & chairman and hopefully we get someone just a s good whenever Lenners steps down.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Nothing but admiration for the man the club has been very stable,I've said on here and usually got shot down about what happens when he hangs up the tie and decides for a quieter life.. to me its clear its more that he hopes his sons take over but has covered wigans bases by bringing in Danson..gut feeling is the lads won't want to keep on propping wigan up but we shall see.

But make no mistake without lenegan the outlook for the club would be very,very different
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

What I read into the the headline by the Yorkshire press is that he is considering now to relinquish ownership admission when it is nothing of the sort, he is looking towards the future!

Admission to what? He is looking to the future & nothing more!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

In the main IFL has been excellent for the Club, it is good to know that he has a plan for the future.
Sutty

Post by Sutty »

The club has gone from strength to strength under his tenure. Long gone are the days of salary cap breaches, not knowing what was going to happen from one year to the next regarding the playing squad and the club being used as a play thing by Whelan. Not to mention a distinct lack of silverware for a number of years.

We're back to competing at the top, we've got a great structure in the club right from the boardroom, through the offices and through to the playing and coaching staff at all levels. Not to mention possibly the most important thing that Matt Peet has brought back, culture. The culture is something that's even taught at an educational level with the young players and I can only see the club going from strength to strength, especially considering we've got unrivalled training facilities that are light years ahead of any other club in the country.

All of the above can be, ultimately, attributed to Ian Lenegan, his vision and how he's got the club back on track, not to mention his financial input too.

archiekeith

Post by archiekeith »

josie andrews wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:37 pm What I read into the the headline by the Yorkshire press is that he is considering now to relinquish ownership admission when it is nothing of the sort, he is looking towards the future!

I'm sure your right Josie Press reporters are lazy when making reports on most things. Having just read the article you refer to I notice the use of the word "plotting" which connotes a negative and usually nefarious connotation. It's the nature of journalists unfortunately. You got it right like you say "he is looking to the future& nothing more!"
Superb Chops

Post by Superb Chops »

archiekeith wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:44 pm I'm sure your right Josie Press reporters are lazy when making reports on most things.
Reporters are many things but seldom lazy. This vicious industry doesn't carry passengers.

Besides, if reporters are so bad why does this site cut+paste so much editorial?

Maybe the item is merely click-bait and, here, successful in the aim of reads - if not clicks and associated revenue.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

archiekeith wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:44 pm
josie andrews wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:37 pm What I read into the the headline by the Yorkshire press is that he is considering now to relinquish ownership admission when it is nothing of the sort, he is looking towards the future!

I'm sure your right Josie Press reporters are lazy when making reports on most things. Having just read the article you refer to I notice the use of the word "plotting" which connotes a negative and usually nefarious connotation. It's the nature of journalists unfortunately. You got it right like you say "he is looking to the future& nothing more!"
They're tasked with generating clicks.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐