Ian Lenagan maps out Wigan Warriors’ future ownership landscape after admission

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
PJC

Re: Ian Lenagan maps out Wigan Warriors’ future ownership landscape after admission

Post by PJC »

I think that Ian Lenagan has /is doing an excellent job. He has received unnecessary criticism often when it comes to player recruitment. Securing French and Field shows that this is not true.
The club has not made huge profits but has remained relatively solvent in a challenging business.
Gaznier

Re: Ian Lenagan maps out Wigan Warriors’ future ownership landscape after admission

Post by Gaznier »

Very exciting future ahead of us me thinks.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

His best signings have been opportunistic not really planned. We were unlucky on the burgess deal, although it's hard to see how his lack of mobility wasn't noticed by medical staff, it took 2 minutes of his first appearance to see he couldn't move sideways at all.

Some good success here and there, but we've not gone on to a 3-4 year period of dominance for a long while now. I think that's down to a somewhat fragmented recruitment strategy that often doesn't look like there's a coherent plan.

Overall he's been a good stable chairman mainly making sensible moves, perhaps a little sentimental in some recruitment and retention decisions. I feel we've done OK during his tenure. A little more luck with injuries and the odd brain explosion and we'd have done much better. That's not ILs fault. So I'd give 7.5/10!
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Mike wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:43 am His best signings have been opportunistic not really planned. We were unlucky on the burgess deal, although it's hard to see how his lack of mobility wasn't noticed by medical staff, it took 2 minutes of his first appearance to see he couldn't move sideways at all.

Some good success here and there, but we've not gone on to a 3-4 year period of dominance for a long while now. I think that's down to a somewhat fragmented recruitment strategy that often doesn't look like there's a coherent plan.

Overall he's been a good stable chairman mainly making sensible moves, perhaps a little sentimental in some recruitment and retention decisions. I feel we've done OK during his tenure. A little more luck with injuries and the odd brain explosion and we'd have done much better. That's not ILs fault. So I'd give 7.5/10!
I agree but have a slightly different take in that i think the recruitment (lack of plan etc) lays at Radlinskis door not ILs
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:54 am
Mike wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:43 am His best signings have been opportunistic not really planned. We were unlucky on the burgess deal, although it's hard to see how his lack of mobility wasn't noticed by medical staff, it took 2 minutes of his first appearance to see he couldn't move sideways at all.

I agree but have a slightly different take in that i think the recruitment (lack of plan etc) lays at Radlinskis door not ILs
Could be, could be. The chairman only sets direction, the officers execute. Doesn't always work like that in a rugby team though! Is have thought a lot of input comes from the coaching staff which has also been fragmented over the last few seasons. Hopefully we can get some high quality continuity for the next 3-4 seasons and build something. Doesn't have to be the same coach, just people that build on what's there and fill in the missing elements.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Mike wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:24 am

Could be, could be. The chairman only sets direction, the officers execute. Doesn't always work like that in a rugby team though! Is have thought a lot of input comes from the coaching staff which has also been fragmented over the last few seasons. Hopefully we can get some high quality continuity for the next 3-4 seasons and build something. Doesn't have to be the same coach, just people that build on what's there and fill in the missing elements.
The other reason that we have not had a period of dominance is because we have lost too many quality homegrown players.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:51 pm

The other reason that we have not had a period of dominance is because we have lost too many quality homegrown players.
Nothing to do with homegrown players
CherryB

Post by CherryB »

IL has been steady, but nothing more. The club has pretty much stagnated under him, we haven't moved forward, or kept up with other clubs. The lack of our own ground is a major blocker to our progress, and will definitely limit interest from any prospective future owners.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

medlocke wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:42 pm

Of course it is.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:36 pm
medlocke wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:42 pm

Of course it is.
We get them all back though, so how does this affect us again? I thought you didn't like the "jobs for the boys" retention policy?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐