Wigan Warriors: Tom Forber discusses the influence of Sam Powell and reveals how he is learning from him

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Barney841

Re: Wigan Warriors: Tom Forber discusses the influence of Sam Powell and reveals how he is learning from him

Post by Barney841 »

morley pie eater wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:42 pm
southportcdm wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:15 pm I get the impression that Powell is considered by the club to have coaching potential and the younger players seem to look up to him. We all know that the best coaches were often not the best players. Even though Sam himself doesn't have the pace to make yards effectively from acting halfback I'm sure he can tell Forber that he should be doing it. I was hoping that O'Neill would push for regular starting role this season but If Forber can overtake him (seems unlikely?) I'd be more than happy.
Maybe unlikely this season, but, from what I'm reading about Forber and what I've seen of O'Neill, I'd say it's 50/50 for 2024, by which time Sam P will be 32 and could be in decline?

Is Tom related to Paul Forber btw?
That not already been and gone?
medlocke

Re: Wigan Warriors: Tom Forber discusses the influence of Sam Powell and reveals how he is learning from him

Post by medlocke »

southportcdm wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:15 pm I get the impression that Powell is considered by the club to have coaching potential and the younger players seem to look up to him. We all know that the best coaches were often not the best players. Even though Sam himself doesn't have the pace to make yards effectively from acting halfback I'm sure he can tell Forber that he should be doing it. I was hoping that O'Neill would push for regular starting role this season but If Forber can overtake him (seems unlikely?) I'd be more than happy.
Maybe unlikely this season, but, from what I'm reading about Forber and what I've seen of O'Neill, I'd say it's 50/50 for 2024, by which time Sam P will be 32 and could be in decline?

Come 2024 they will have gone to the NRL due to lack of game time, I wonder why Powells never had any NRL offers ;) :D
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

medlocke wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:03 pm

Come 2024 they will have gone to the NRL due to lack of game time, I wonder why Powells never had any NRL offers ;) :D
Who could afford him?
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:51 am
medlocke wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:03 pm

Who could afford him?
:lol: :lol:
blindsideprop

Post by blindsideprop »

God help us if he declines any more.
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

Some of us may have doubts about Powell's quality but he's always worked hard on the pitch and I'm sure also in training. I'm guessing that's what has impressed young players and that's fair enough.
Fujiman

Post by Fujiman »

southportcdm wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:15 pm

Anybody know as i was asked the same question.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

They’ve helped me with the change of tempo. Sometimes I was too fast to everything or trying to rush stuff, so they’ve just told me to calm down at times.
Sometimes the jokes write themselves lol

Powell is holding back the team so the sooner these young players can overtake him the better imo
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:22 pm
They’ve helped me with the change of tempo. Sometimes I was too fast to everything or trying to rush stuff, so they’ve just told me to calm down at times.

Powell is holding back the team so the sooner these young players can overtake him the better imo
Not going to happen though is it, they could be Cameron Smith NRL level and they still wouldn't oust the golden child :D
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

medlocke wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:45 pm
Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:22 pm

Not going to happen though is it, they could be Cameron Smith NRL level and they still wouldn't oust the golden child :D
That is the concern and no-one should be an automatic pick - i just hope lessons were learnt from the Semi-Final
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure