Wigan Warriors: Tom Forber discusses the influence of Sam Powell and reveals how he is learning from him

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Wigan Warriors: Tom Forber discusses the influence of Sam Powell and reveals how he is learning from him

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan Warriors’ youngster Tom Forber says he has learnt a lot from observing the way Sam Powell conducts himself in training.

The 30-year-old hooker is celebrating his testimonial year throughout 2023, with Sunday’s pre-season game against Salford Red Devils at the DW Stadium among a number of events marking the occasion.

Forber states he’s benefited from being around the Warriors’ senior players during the off-season, and is pleased with the way he has developed alongside them.

He said: “I’ve been watching Sam Powell and Brad O’Neill a lot because we play in the same position, and they have taught me quite a bit about my detail around the ruck.

I feel like I’ve picked up a load, but I don’t just want to learn from that, I want to compete with them at the same time, just to give them competition.

“I want to be playing games this year so I’m working hard.

Hopefully I can help them as well, and we can make each other better at the same time.

“I want to learn as much as I can, but at the same time I want their spots.

They are both great lads, I love them both to bits, and they are helping me as much as possible.

They’ve helped me with the change of tempo. Sometimes I was too fast to everything or trying to rush stuff, so they’ve just told me to calm down at times.

“I’ve taken that on and it has worked well for me so far.

It really helps me when I train with the older lads like Pow (Sam Powell), because I can see how he leads on the field and in the changing rooms, and just how he talks to all of the players.

“I try to take a bit of that back to the younger lads and hopefully we can all come up together.

It’s a good group, so I want to see as many of us come through as possible.”

Forber was part of the Grand Final reserves winning side last season, and believes the competition was beneficial to everyone involved.

“It was a credit to all of the lads who played reserves week in, week out,” he added.

They were playing with different people every week and it was tough at times because you may only have one session together.

“When we turned up on game day, we all worked hard for each other.

“We’re big on competing, we compete for everything.

“If there is a ball on the floor then you want to be there first because that is what will help you to improve.”

Forber came off the bench to score in Wigan’s 26-14 pre-season defeat to Barrow Raiders at the weekend.

The game proved to be a good test against a tough Championship opponent.

Like in the first pre-season game against Whitehaven, a number of players from the academy and the reserves featured for the Warriors, while Abbas Miski, Patrick Mago, Brad O’Neill, Kaide Ellis and Joe Shorrocks were added to this week’s squad.

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... im-4006955
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
medlocke

Re: Wigan Warriors: Tom Forber discusses the influence of Sam Powell and reveals how he is learning from him

Post by medlocke »

He could have had a great career, silly lad :D
morley pie eater

Re: Wigan Warriors: Tom Forber discusses the influence of Sam Powell and reveals how he is learning from him

Post by morley pie eater »

medlocke wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:07 pm He could have had a great career, silly lad :D
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Knew you'd have a worthwhile comment as soon as I saw the headline.
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

morley pie eater wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:00 pm
medlocke wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:07 pm He could have had a great career, silly lad :D
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Knew you'd have a worthwhile comment as soon as I saw the headline.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Let’s hope O’Neil gets his chance this season and takes it!
Don’t need another ten years or more of the the same situation at hooker
pearsy

Post by pearsy »

If they listing to him dark days head
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

I get the impression that Powell is considered by the club to have coaching potential and the younger players seem to look up to him. We all know that the best coaches were often not the best players. Even though Sam himself doesn't have the pace to make yards effectively from acting halfback I'm sure he can tell Forber that he should be doing it. I was hoping that O'Neill would push for regular starting role this season but If Forber can overtake him (seems unlikely?) I'd be more than happy.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

southportcdm wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:15 pm I get the impression that Powell is considered by the club to have coaching potential and the younger players seem to look up to him. We all know that the best coaches were often not the best players. Even though Sam himself doesn't have the pace to make yards effectively from acting halfback I'm sure he can tell Forber that he should be doing it. I was hoping that O'Neill would push for regular starting role this season but If Forber can overtake him (seems unlikely?) I'd be more than happy.
Maybe unlikely this season, but, from what I'm reading about Forber and what I've seen of O'Neill, I'd say it's 50/50 for 2024, by which time Sam P will be 32 and could be in decline?

Is Tom related to Paul Forber btw?
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

morley pie eater wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:42 pm
southportcdm wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:15 pm I get the impression that Powell is considered by the club to have coaching potential and the younger players seem to look up to him. We all know that the best coaches were often not the best players. Even though Sam himself doesn't have the pace to make yards effectively from acting halfback I'm sure he can tell Forber that he should be doing it. I was hoping that O'Neill would push for regular starting role this season but If Forber can overtake him (seems unlikely?) I'd be more than happy.
Maybe unlikely this season, but, from what I'm reading about Forber and what I've seen of O'Neill, I'd say it's 50/50 for 2024, by which time Sam P will be 32 and could be in decline?

Is Tom related to Paul Forber btw?
I was speaking to Tom last night, cracking lad & so appreciative of all his coaches. I thought he was the best player at Barrow & among the best young ones at Whitehaven. I told him if he carries on playing & improving he will be pushing Brad O’Neill for a place.
He replied that’s what he is hoping to do 😊
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan