Smithies: Lads are looking sharp

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Smithies: Lads are looking sharp

Post by josie andrews »

Morgan Smithies spoke to Wigan TV ahead of the Warriors final pre-season game.

Smithies: “We’ve been working hard and we’re ready to get this proper first team game underway.”

The loose forward talks personal goals for the 2023 campaign and being awarded the #13 shirt.

Morgan Smithies says that despite a tough pre-season, the team are ready for the Sunday’s game against Salford Red Devils at the DW Stadium.

The fixture, which will celebrate the career of his teammate Sam Powell, will be the only of the pre-season games to feature most of the first team squad.

“We’ve had some long days and I’m sure it’s been the same for every other team as well,” he said, “but we’ve been working hard and we’re ready to get this proper first team game underway.

“Leading up to Christmas it was pretty tough. But after Christmas it has been more rugby related on the field. The lads are looking sharp.”

On Sam Powell’s testimonial, he said: “It’s massive for him. He’s one of those players that’s a bit underrated from the outside but from the inside, the coaches and players think the world of him and everything he does for the team.”

Smithies, who featured 24 times for the Warriors last season, has this year been awarded the number 13 shirt – something he says he wasn’t expecting.

Matty told me the day it got announced.” said Smithies. “I put it in my family group chat and they’re very proud. I’m proud as well, I wasn’t really expecting it, so hopefully I can do it justice.

“I’ve known Matty for a very long time now from being Head of Youth. We’ve got a good relationship and I know what he wants from his players.”

Assistant Coach Sean O’Loughlin, a former holder of the iconic shirt, is someone that Morgan says is helping him as he looks to stamp his own authority on the loose forward role, as well as recent addition to the coaching staff Tommy Leuluai.

“I’m going to keep working hard and try make that first team shirt my own.

“Lockers (Sean O’Loughlin) and Tommy (Leuluai) are class. They’ve won everything there is to win, so I’m getting tips off of them!”

“(Tommy) was very good when I played alongside him. He was a bit like a coach then, so it’s pretty much the same”.

Watch the full interview exclusively on Wigan TV HERE. https://tv.wiganwarriors.com/

Not a subscriber? Join today from £5.99 per month!

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2023/02/ ... ing-sharp/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan