Academy

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Charriots Offiah

Academy

Post by Charriots Offiah »

For anyone interested, we won 84-0.
Levrier

Re: Academy

Post by Levrier »

Any details?
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Warriors Academy Thrash Salford

Match Report as Wigan Warriors Academy beat Salford Red Devils Academy 84-0 in pre-season friendly.

15 tries were scored on Sunday afternoon with nine different scorers.

George O’Loughlin scored 4 as Tom Ratchford also claimed a hat-trick.

Wigan Warriors Academy overwhelmed a Salford Academy side 84-0 at Robin Park Arena on Sunday.

The first try was scored by Reece Rowcroft, after driving run by Nathan Lowe opened up the space. The second coming through a Salford error, with a Jack Farrimond kick fumbled by a Salford player in try zone, allowing George O’Loughlin to capitalize and score.

Nathan Lowe added the third through an overload on the left, charging onto a layoff to score. Lukas Mason added the fourth for Warriors, latching onto yet another Farrimond kick forward.

Wigan’s fifth came following a scrum on the 30m line, with Lowe charging forward 20 metres space before laying it to O’Loughlin who added a second to his tally. A sixth try came courtesy of Maddox Jeffery, who nosedived over the line in the corner and touched the ball down by the narrowest of margins.

The energetic Warriors side continued their dominance following the interval, with Farrimond completing a hat-trick of assists, jolting between Salford’s line before laying the ball to Tom Ratchford who scored directly under the posts.

Ratchford added his second and Wigan’s eighth by racing onto a Harrison Dodd kick, before completing his hat-trick with a fantastic weaving run between Salford players to get over the line for Wigan’s ninth try of the day.

O’Loughlin then joined the hat-trick club after some quickfire passing found its way to him on the left wing to score for try number 10 for the hosts.

Finlay Irwin then introduced himself into the game through a twisting run between Salford’s line to touch the ball down for Wigan’s 11th, before a scrum on the 30m line provided yet another opportunity for an overload on the left, with O’Loughlin scoring his fourth try of the game.

Joshua Cartwright then added Wigan’s 13th try, with Harrison Dean charging over the line for Warriors’ 14th.

Kalum Rathbone added his name to the already extensive try list, charging in under the posts for Wigan’s 15th and final try of the day.

Wigan Warriors: Reece Rowcroft, Maddox Jeffery, Harrison Dean, Nathan Lowe, George O’Loughlin, Charlie Yeomans, Jack Farrimond, Kian McDermott, Tom Ratchford, Ryan Brown, Joshua Cartwright, Lukas Mason, Joe Baldwin.

Interchanges: Noah Hodkinson, Finlay Irwin, Dylan Kelly-Duffy, Trent Kelly-Duffy, Harry Higham, Kalum Rathbone, Joseph Tyrer, Harrison Dodd.

Tries: O’Loughlin (4), Ratchford (3), Rowcroft (1), Lowe (1), Mason (1), Jeffery (1), Irwin (1), Cartwright (1), Dean (1), Rathbone (1)

Goals: Farrimond 11/15

See full match highlights from Sunday’s Academy game on Wigan TV HERE.

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2023/02/ ... h-salford/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Thanks Josie.

I watched the first half. There is a lot of potential in this team. Farrimond is an outstanding prospect.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:40 pm Thanks Josie.

I watched the first half. There is a lot of potential in this team. Farrimond is an outstanding prospect.
I saw the first half too, missed the second half helping out some disabled fans 😊

But I don’t like these sort of results. It doesn’t help the losing sides youngsters learn anything. Feel sorry for the young lads it must be demoralising. 🙁
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

josie andrews wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:17 pm
Charriots Offiah wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:40 pm Thanks Josie.

I saw the first half too, missed the second half helping out some disabled fans 😊

But I don’t like these sort of results. It doesn’t help the losing sides youngsters learn anything. Feel sorry for the young lads it must be demoralising. 🙁
Not only that but it doesn't do anything for the winning side really. Playing a team so far away from your level in that direction is very little more than a training run. Incidentally, I think playing on the other end of these games you learn far more than if you win by these types of scorelines
doc

Post by doc »

To be fair to Salford, this is the first academy team they have had in years and it will take some time to bed in the staff and players and to develop the right culture.
pedro

Post by pedro »

Thought Farrimond was excellent considering its his first academy year, I said when I first saw him a few years ago the lad would be special