Wigan v Salford friendly

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

Re: Wigan v Salford friendly

Post by DaveO »

widdenoldboy wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:34 pm Full game and highlights on Wigan TV
I shall watch them later but it sounds like a good hit out for a friendly and no news of any injuries so that’s a good thing.

I think everyone knows Wardle is a very good player but if King played well and is up for it, it’s going to be great watching a pair of actual centres playing for Wigan.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

josie andrews wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:33 pm
ian.birchall wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:31 pm Both centres looked good for me particularly Wardle. Cust MOTM for me but worrying that he already playing with last seasons injured elbows heavily strapped.
Wardle got MoM!
He did but he wasn’t Wigan’s best player.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Well I enjoyed the game so much that I've just stayed up till stupid o'clock to watch the full game back on Wigan TV. :)

And I think just about every one of those young lads who came on only advanced their reputations. And held out a strong Salford side. And scored some more tries. Especially pleased for Tom Forber, he looks a talent.
Flash

Post by Flash »

moto748 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:44 am Well I enjoyed the game so much that I've just stayed up till stupid o'clock to watch the full game back on Wigan TV. :)

And I think just about every one of those young lads who came on only advanced their reputations. And held out a strong Salford side. And scored some more tries. Especially pleased for Tom Forber, he looks a talent.
That was the main take from the game. With a backline of Eckersley, Miski and Douglas we still looked the better team and carried more threat than Salford. All three were excellent and when you consider that French/Field/Marshall was the top attacking backline in SL last year, that's some accolade. Only 1 game of course but it was still great to see

The depth in our squad is far better than I imagine most of us suspected. It seemed like we hit the young lads a little early with injuries but I'm far less worried about that now. Some of those fringe players will be offering genuine competition for places regardless of injuries! Forber, Hill, Nsemba and Eckersley will all have a genuine shout at forcing their way into contention if any of the initial first teamers aren't performing and the likes of Astley, Miski and now Douglas also look like they wouldn't let anyone down if/when called upon.

I also have to say that the Hampshire signing could prove to be a shrewd piece of business, assuming the injury isn't an issue of course. He covers so many positions with genuine SL ability. If you look across the team there are now 3 or 4 fighting for places across most positions.

We're looking in pretty good shape going into the season.
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:50 am
ian.birchall wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:31 pm Both centres looked good for me particularly Wardle. Cust MOTM for me but worrying that he already playing with last seasons injured elbows heavily strapped.
Wardle got MoM!
I thought Cust was the best player on the field yesterday, League Express also picked him as m.o.m.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

No straw damn us wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:58 am
Charriots Offiah wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:50 am

Wardle got MoM!
I thought Cust was the best player on the field yesterday, League Express also picked him as m.o.m.
I fully agree.
lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

Cust for me as well was around that MOM he was very good. While both our new centre's had to scramble in D at times I was also pleased by both of them ball in hand if anything King with ball was more impressive than Warddle while in D Warddle read things pretty well good first hit outs.
Of our younger players ......
Eckersley looks like he can physically handle it already. Astley also looks much more adapted and ready to step up than last year.
Sure Hill will get some kind of chance at a point and Nsemba looked better with the older heads around him.
Forber's cameo said everything about why I love watching him crisp sharp passing well timed that players can run onto without breaking stride. His darts from half engage defenders and puts doubt in the defensive line that gives ball player a few more vital moments to produce something a joy to watch.
Douglas just looks to have that balance good footwork before the tackle be interesting to see how he develops.
Miski is a luxury can't think of many better back ups out wide very good finisher and carries well.
Enjoyable game.
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!