Wigan v Salford friendly

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
pearsy

Re: Wigan v Salford friendly

Post by pearsy »

How did Faz do today after the injury?
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Cust looked a lot more a threat than last season.
Both centres looked good going forward.
As for injuries, Shorrocks got a knock on his leg 2nd half and went off. After the final whistle noticed French had strapping around his right knee. Almost 2 weeks to the next game.

Looked like a good run out against a decent team.
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

Both centres looked good for me particularly Wardle. Cust MOTM for me but worrying that he already playing with last seasons injured elbows heavily strapped.
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
NICKYKISS

Post by NICKYKISS »

ian.birchall wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:31 pm Both centres looked good for me particularly Wardle. Cust MOTM for me but worrying that he already playing with last seasons injured elbows heavily strapped.
Hopefully just doing that to feel a bit more secure. He looked like a prime Tony Club. Out there, with his arms taped on to his body. If he keeps playing like that, he can come out like a mummy for all we’ll care. I thought he looked a touch lighter than last year and that was needed for me. I recall at Magic that he was absolutely jiggered late on and it cost us with that late try, where he couldn’t get across/back quickly enough.
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

It was a good game overall. We dominated early on and deserved to be ahead but I thought when we made changes our performance dropped. I thought we were noticeably better with Cooper, Havard and Smithies in the middle than when Mago, Singleton and Ellis came on. I was pleased with how comfortable we were in the second half.

KPP had a good first half. Drifted in and out of the game a bit but it's only a friendly. I thought Farrell dealt very well with Brodie Croft in defence. Every time Croft got the ball Farrell was on him.

King and Wardle both did well. They both had a shaky moment or two in defence but centre is probably the hardest position to defend in and it was the first game in a new team. King was the more threatening in attack and his offloads were really dangerous.

Miski also deserves some praise. His two tries really took some scoring. He might not be the quickest winger but he's a damn good finisher.

Cust was excellent and probably our best player. He worked well with Smith whose kicking game was strong as you'd expect.

Top 3 for me were Cust, Havard and King.

Also worth mentioning that despite only having a brief spell Forber still looked our most threatening hooker. He definitely needs some first team opportunities this year.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

pearsy wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:04 pm How did Faz do today after the injury?
Faz was fine, he played the whole of the first half.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

If they stay fit, the centres will transform us. It has been years since we had 2 good centres. And that’s building on a back line with threats everywhere already.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

NICKYKISS wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:50 pm We can’t be anything but happy. Only knock looked to be to Shorrocks and good minutes for most of the players. I don’t see how we don’t score rafts of points if Field and French stay fit and the new centres will only add to the threat. I was happy to see Mago have a better start to that second half and I thought Ellis was good after the break as well. It was a very small sample size but I’d love to see Forber get some minutes this season. He was very dangerous from dummy half and would bring a nice balance alongside Powell or O’Neill.
I told him the other week when I watched him at Whitehaven & Barrow he would be pushing them both if he’s given enough game time. Cracking player & such a lovely lad too 🥰
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

ian.birchall wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:31 pm Both centres looked good for me particularly Wardle. Cust MOTM for me but worrying that he already playing with last seasons injured elbows heavily strapped.
Wardle got MoM!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Full game and highlights on Wigan TV