Peet: Good signs

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Peet: Good signs

Post by josie andrews »

Matt Peet said Wigan showed some ‘good signs’ as they took a 32-4 victory over Salford in their final pre-season outing.

Peet: “We’ve got a lot of different threats within the team and if we can come together all year then we’re going to be difficult to contain with the ball but it’s very early days.”

Betfred Super League is back in less than two weeks. Wigan open their account away to Hull KR – get your tickets and travel HERE.

Matt Peet said he saw ‘good signs’ from his squad as they beat Salford 32-4 in pre-season at the DW Stadium on Sunday afternoon.

Speaking at full time, Peet said: “I think it was a good day for us, I think we ticked some boxes in getting some minutes into certain players, opportunities for others and we managed to get everyone some game time that we planned.

“Particularly at the start of the game there were some good signs but we understand that it is a pre-season game and in the grand scheme of things it doesn’t mean a great deal but as far as our goals for today we can be happy.”

The game celebrated Sam Powell’s testimonial as he enters his 11th year at the Club, on the day Peet said: “A good day, I thought the Club did a good job of Robin Park again – the fans turned out in decent numbers and I thought Salford played their part as well in applauding him after the game.

“Within the Club he [Sam] gets a lot of credit so it’s nice for him and his family to be able to celebrate what has been a great career. I think that’s the big one for Sam, that he gets to have all his family here today and we played well too.”

The game marked first appearances for Toby King and Jake Wardle in Wigan colours: “I was made up for him [Jake Wardle] and Toby [King] actually. There’s always a lot of eyes on new players, they were the two today and I thought they were both excellent, if we can get that from them when the season starts then they’ll certainly add something to the team, in attack and defence I thought they both committed themselves really well.”

Wigan scored six tries on the afternoon as the Warriors rejuvinated their fine scoring form from the 2022 season: “I think you can see that we want to play, we expressed ourselves with the ball – potentially overplayed our hand at times but I’d rather us be that way and back up in solid defence that play within ourselves. We’ve got a lot of different threats within the team and if we can come together all year then we’re going to be difficult to contain with the ball, but it’s very early days.”

Finally, the Head Coach commented on the younger first team players who featured off the bench in the fixture: “There was some nice touches, nice pieces of play from them but I also just thought that the intensity in our defence didn’t drop. Against a good attacking team in Salford, I thought you couldn’t tell that it was a younger team.

“Potentially with the ball we lost a bit of shape but defensively our effort was great from the young lads when they came on – all credit to them and they’ve worked so hard during pre-season. I thought they looked fit and strong today.”

See more reaction from Matt Peet on Wigan TV HERE.

The Warriors start the 2023 Betfred Super League season away to Hull KR on Saturday 18th February with tickets available HERE. Round 2 sees the home opener as we welcome Wakefield Trinity to the DW Stadium, you can find out more about tickets HERE.

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2023/02/ ... ood-signs/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan