Ancient & Loyal

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wes

Ancient & Loyal

Post by Wes »

People slate IL and KR by portraying a jobs for the boys mentality yet might they be living and breathing the club motto and showing loyalty to those that they think deserve it?
Shevvylad

Re: Ancient & Loyal

Post by Shevvylad »

Their loyalty should be to the fans, first and foremost. I don't want to get into the whole re-signing argument again, but loyalty to past players who either fail in Aus, or who just want to come back home should be way down on their list of priorities....
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Theirs is a simple business - win games, bring in and keep fans. If by “loyalty” we mean the instinct to create a cohesive working environment which leads to better results because you are dealing with human beings and they respond to stability then that’s logical. It’s whether that instinct is blind, and indeed how much benefit the club gets from it. I recall that some of the finest teams we ever had had players who disliked each other, and a period in which we ruthlessly discarded players. And won a lot, in front of very happy crowds.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

And repeated references to the 85-95 era, which was exceptional for a number of reasons, and was 28 to 38 years ago, just may be a factor in many being unhappy whatever IL and KR may do.

If fans' expectations are based on an unrepeatable golden era, leading to a miserable, complaining atmosphere at games and around the town during the week. This could explain why we have an ageing fan base.

Younger folk in Wigan may think "That's not for me". They'll be attracted to come back by the atmosphere at games being one that creates excitement and anticipation. Yes, that needs a winning team to some extent, though crowds went up during Nobby's "great escape" period.

As someone who goes to more away games than home ones, I notice a downbeat feeling when I come to the DW. Even at last year's Derby match, we were out-shouted by Saints fans for most of it. The atmosphere only built in response to the team's efforts - shouldn't it work both ways?

I'm sure there are many other factors involved, but, even if I'm partly right, something needs to change from our side.

Before you slag me off, just pause and consider that I might just be partly right. I'm a Wigan fan through and through, have been for approaching 60 years. I want success for the team.

Everything isn't perfect, but if we want improvement, the fans, management and players all need to pull in the same direction. Do you agree?
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

morley pie eater wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:33 pm And repeated references to the 85-95 era, which was exceptional for a number of reasons, and was 28 to 38 years ago, just may be a factor in many being unhappy whatever IL and KR may do.

If fans' expectations are based on an unrepeatable golden era, leading to a miserable, complaining atmosphere at games and around the town during the week. This could explain why we have an ageing fan base.

Younger folk in Wigan may think "That's not for me". They'll be attracted to come back by the atmosphere at games being one that creates excitement and anticipation. Yes, that needs a winning team to some extent, though crowds went up during Nobby's "great escape" period.

As someone who goes to more away games than home ones, I notice a downbeat feeling when I come to the DW. Even at last year's Derby match, we were out-shouted by Saints fans for most of it. The atmosphere only built in response to the team's efforts - shouldn't it work both ways?

I'm sure there are many other factors involved, but, even if I'm partly right, something needs to change from our side.

Before you slag me off, just pause and consider that I might just be partly right. I'm a Wigan fan through and through, have been for approaching 60 years. I want success for the team.

Everything isn't perfect, but if we want improvement, the fans, management and players all need to pull in the same direction. Do you agree?
100% fan negativity has had an impact on getting new fans, I personally have got a few friends and family into rugby and they chose other teams to support due to the negativity they read on forums/twitter.

The atmosphere at the dw is partially due to the roof, the away stand is metal the home plastic
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Caboosegg wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:34 pm
morley pie eater wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:33 pm And repeated references to the 85-95 era, which was exceptional for a number of reasons, and was 28 to 38 years ago, just may be a factor in many being unhappy whatever IL and KR may do.

100% fan negativity has had an impact on getting new fans, I personally have got a few friends and family into rugby and they chose other teams to support due to the negativity they read on forums/twitter.

The atmosphere at the dw is partially due to the roof, the away stand is metal the home plastic
Easy fix, mic it up.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

The sound system at the stadium is just crap
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

More negativity! ;)
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

josie andrews wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:13 pm The sound system at the stadium is just crap
Isn't it just
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

The difference is that Josie’s comment is fact and not the fault of IFL and co.