Match Preview: Hull KR

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Match Preview: Hull KR

Post by josie andrews »

In association with Davanti Tyres, here is everything you need to know ahead of Wigan Warriors’ Betfred Super League visit to Hull KR.

Wigan Warriors kick off their 2023 campaign with a visit to East Yorkshire as they face off against Hull KR this Saturday (1pm K.O).

Wigan have a good record when it comes to Round 1 matches, winning their last three and boasting a 59% win rate for the opening day fixtures.

Squad News

Toby King and Jake Wardle are in line to make their Wigan Warriors Super League debuts after being featured in the squad, with a fully fit 21-man unit at the disposal of Matt Peet, with only Iain Thornley and Ryan Hampshire missing out through injury.

Wigan Warriors squad to face Hull KR

1 Jai Field
2 Bevan French
3 Toby King
4 Jake Wardle
5 Liam Marshall
6 Cade Cust
7 Harry Smith
8 Brad Singleton
9 Sam Powell
10 Liam Byrne
11 Willie Isa
12 Liam Farrell
13 Morgan Smithies
14 Mike Cooper
15 Kaide Ellis
16 Ethan Havard
17 Kai Pearce Paul
19 Joe Shorrocks
20 Patrick Mago
22 Brad O’Neill
23 Abbas Miski

Opposition

Here is Hull KR’s announced 21-man squad for Saturday

1. Lachlan Coote

2. Ethan Ryan

3. Tom Opacic

4. Shaun Kenny-Dowall

5. Ryan Hall

7. Jordan Abdull

8. Sauaso Sue

9. Matt Parcell

10. George King

11. Frankie Halton

12. Kane Linnett

13. Elliot Minchella

14. Jez Litten

15. Rhys Kennedy

16. James Batchelor

17. Matty Storton

19.Will Dagger

20. Mikey Lewis

22.Dean Hadley

23. Louis Senior

26. Sam Luckley

Previous Meetings

Last Ten

Hull KR 38, Wigan 28 (SLR26, 29/8/22)
Wigan 46, Hull KR 4 (SLR21, 28/7/22)
Hull KR 10, Wigan 24 (SLR1, 11/2/22)
Hull KR 26, Wigan 14 (SLR19, 13/8/21)
Wigan 8, Hull KR 18 (SLR10, 18/6/21)
Hull KR 34, Wigan 18 (SLR11, 3/9/20) (at Emerald Headingley, Leeds)
Wigan 30, Hull KR 16 (SLR6, 8/3/20)
Wigan 36, Hull KR 18 (SLR25, 9/8/19)
Wigan 52, Hull KR 10 (SLR21, 5/7/19)
Hull KR 18, Wigan 19 (SLR17, 9/6/19)
Super League Summary

Hull KR wins: 10
Wigan Warriors wins: 24
Draws: 1

Coach Quotes

Head Coach Matt Peet spoke with the press on Wednesday ahead of the fixture saying: “I think this is what will be our strongest side.

“We’ve got strong competition for places, I think there’s some close calls particularly on the bench. Whether its our best team is yet to be seen, its certainly the one I think gives us the best chance of wining this week

“I think we’ve executed our plan very well. Particularly the last few weeks I think we’ve done very well.

“We’ll be judged on how we perform on Saturday but I left our meetings and sessions today feeling that the players are prepared and I’m just hoping it can translate on the pitch.”

On Hull KR he said: “”There’s always a good atmosphere at Hull KR as far as I’m concerned. It’s hard to read into the tactics too much from their games so far but their individuals are very exciting. I think both the half backs are both fantastic talents and have, rightly so, knocked on the international door in the last few years.

“Their left edge is as experienced and as strong as anything in the Super League and they’ve signed a new right centre. There’s plenty of talent there.”

You can read more of Peet’s comments HERE. https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2023/02/ ... hull-kr-3/

Matchday Info

Please note that we have been advised that there will now be no pay on the day sales available.

Seating

Away supporters at Hull KR are housed in the Colin Hutton North Stand. Seating is unreserved so you won’t be allocated a specific seat.

Pre and post match

Open before and after the match, you’ll be able to enjoy live music and independent food and drink stalls at the stadium on Craven Streat. However, away fans are unable to visit during the half time interval. Food and drink are also available in the concourse located in the stand underneath your seats.

Band ‘The K’s’ will also be putting on a pre-match show at Sewell Group Craven Park so that fans can get into the matchday atmosphere ahead of the season opener!

Please note, Sewell Group Craven Park is a cashless stadium and all areas, including vendors at Craven Streat operate card only.

Parking

Parking in the main car park at Sewell Group Craven Park is reserved for annual car parking membership holders, commercial sponsors and media. Match day car parking is available in the nearby Poundstretcher car park on Poorhouse Lane or Aspire Academy on Preston Road on a first come, first served basis. Places are available at a charge of £5, cash only.

Bus/Rail

Paragon Interchange is the city’s public transport hub, with trains and buses regularly arriving and departing.

For bus timetables from Paragon Interchange to Sewell Group Craven Park please visit www.stagecoachbus.com

For more information on match day information visit Hull KR’s Away Fan Hub HERE.

Match Officials

The referee for Saturday’s game will be Chris Kendall, who last refereed Warriors in this same fixture on August 29th 2022 which finished Hull KR 38-28 Wigan Warriors.

Kit Check

The Warriors will be playing in their brand new navy away kit for the first time. Not got yours yet? Buy online HERE.

How to Follow

Watch Live

You can catch full match coverage of the game live on Channel 4.

Listen Live

Listen to free audio commentary of Hull KR v Wigan Warriors at Sewell Group Craven Park from 12:50pm. Head to our Mixlr page by clicking HERE. Alternatively, you can simply use the pop out player below:

Social Media

As an alternative to following the game, Wigan fans can keep up-to-date with every piece of the action via our social media channels and website,

Twitter (@WiganWarriorsRL) – live game updates and reaction at the final hooter.
Instagram (@wiganwarriorsrl) – behind-the-scenes action, both before and after kick-off.
Facebook (Wigan Warriors) – live matchday information and reaction.
Website (www.wiganwarriors.com) – post-match reaction including match report, and head coach and players reaction.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=42775
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Match Preview: Hull KR

Post by josie andrews »

Smith: Good Start Important

Harry Smith spoke to the press ahead of Saturday’s Super League opener against Hull KR.

Smith: “I think there’s a good balance at the minute and an enjoyment at the camp and wanting to play with each other.”

Watch more pre-match preview from Harry Smith on Wigan TV HERE.

Harry Smith says that putting the right foot forward is important ahead of the Warriors’ Round 1 opener against Hull KR.

Smith, who this season has been handed the number 7 jersey by Matt Peet, says their opponents could spring a surprise as they start life under new Head Coach Willie Peters: “They’ve got a new coach and a few new players, we were used to that Tony Smith style of a bit of unpredictability,” he said, “but with this new Aussie coach they might be a bit more systematic. So it is a bit of the unknown for us. There are a few things we’ve seen that we know they’ll try and do.

“We know if we put our right foot forward we should have a good day at the office.”

The atmosphere inside Sewell Group Craven Park is set to be a good one, with Smith saying they’ll look to use that to their advantage: “Their fans are always loud, no matter how many of them there are.” he said

“I think I’ve seen they’ve sold out a few stands, so it’ll be a great atmosphere and hopefully a great day for Rugby, and hopefully we can put on a show. It’s going to be a great atmosphere and one that were going to try and use and get the energy off it. I think it’ll be a great game and they’ll come out firing and we’ll be looking to match them and if not do more.”

On the game, he added: “We need to look sharp and put the work in that we’ve done in pre-season. It’s obviously something we’ve worked on to make ourselves better from last year.

“A good start is important, something to build on and just build confidence from really.”

After minimal player turnover during the off-season, with only Toby King, Jake Wardle and Ryan Hampshire coming in, Smith says spirit in the camp is good and that they’re looking to continue the successes from their last campaign.

He said: “(Cade Cust) Custy, the spine, people like that and then the two new additions (Toby King and Jake Wardle) have been brilliant.

“They’ve brought a lot to the team, a lot of work. I think there’s a good balance at the minute and an enjoyment at the camp and wanting to play with each other and get this game over and done with and show what we can do”.

Having featured 70 times for Wigan since making his debut in 2019, his consistent performances in the centre saw Smith handed the number 7 shirt, formerly of team-mate turned Coach Tommy Leaului: “It’s a great honour for me” he said, “There’s been a lot of legends that have worn it before me. There’s no pressure but excitement as it’s something I’ve wanted to do and why I play for Wigan and why I came here. It’s something I’m gonna take with both hands.

“(The number) gives you that confidence that you can get in the starting team, that it’s your spot to have and you need to keep hold of it.”

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2023/02/ ... important/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

Looks like we've been able to pick our strongest 17 with 3 props and O'Neil on the bench. Best of luck to the lads for a positive start.
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

Defensively we look all over the place. Would help if we got a couple of kicks too
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Whys the ref warning wigan about lying on yet hes not doing the same for rovers?….. king has gotta start reading the defensive patterns better else we in trouble
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

I don’t know if it’s the camera work but we look very very slow across the board

If you compare to wire the other day we look like we are playing in treacle but I think sometimes it’s the camera

We are lying on painfully long too every tackle
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Lazy J

Post by Lazy J »

That right edge defence scares the hell out of me, looks very very shaky, but some interesting decisions from the ref with what is and isn’t 6 again
There are 10 types of people, those who get binary and those who dont!
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

Attacking wise we look good on the front foot with quick ball but we don't get a quick ptb often enough. We look dangerous every time we get moving but we are struggling to make the yards
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Our passing and go forward are very very poor….. we can only improve in the 2nd half…… gotta laugh at the commentry…… smiths achilles heal is his kicking( although he kicked well last year) and field not renowned for his passing( im sure he created loads if tries last season) …… come on wigan big improvement and we win this comfortably
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

We look like we expect to just win here and not have to play well to earn it

I know it’s first game but this is poor

I’m hoping the clunky attack is due to right rust and we aren’t already seeing the impact of briers
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure