Hi all

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
WiganP1e

Hi all

Post by WiganP1e »

New to the forum, so just saying hello one and all 🍻

So after yesterday...

Really concerned about our kicking game - particularly young Smith who I rate highly, but is the responsibility a little much for him at this stage?

Do we replace him?
If so?
Who with? And does that damage him and his development long term if we did that?

Penalties - Too many yet again, especially second half... needs to be fixed for next weekend + it's an ongoing issue for me.

I feel we are weak in the forwards yet again this season, so recruitment or lack of it has been disappointing again for us in the off season.

Hopefully we bounce back against Wakefield.
Bobby-WRL

Re: Hi all

Post by Bobby-WRL »

Hi mate,
I think Harry was the least of our problems yesterday.
I went to the Salford friendly and the two performances were chalk and cheese.
WiganP1e

Post by WiganP1e »

Bobby-WRL wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 1:20 pm Hi mate,
I think Harry was the least of our problems yesterday.
I went to the Salford friendly and the two performances were chalk and cheese.
I think it could be a big burden on us in the big games

Yes.. we'll make the end of season party.

But we'll not win the prize for best dressed I don't think 😉

Can't see past the Stains unfortunately.

And... it's always their year will just fall away as usual.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Welcome to the site 😊

Think you’re a bit harsh on Harry Smith, the conversions in the first half were against the wind. Also your backs can’t do much when your forwards are being bullied in the middle.

Majority of the players yesterday were poor. They didn’t have enough pre season games together IMO, just played half of the Powell testimonial if I remember correctly.

Two new centres of which Wardle was the best out of them both didn’t have any rapport with their wingers!

I would have started with Singleton & Byrne & bring on Havard & Cooper as the interchange.

Some one else mentioned about Powell & O’Neill playing the same sort of game, I’ve said this a few times towards the end of last year, so in my mind why do we need a hooker on the interchange bench?

When Powell wasn’t playing last season, O’Neill played a different way but now he plays just like Powell.

I told young Tom Forber at the beginning of the year that he would be pushing both senior hookers for a place if he keeps playing his own game & playing well. I just hope we can keep him happy.

I don’t know why the squad seem to have less time training together. I’ve been told they train three days a week & those are mainly half days if you go pass the players carpark after lunch on the days they do train.

We must try & accept it’s just the first game out of a long season.

We need to keep our home ground a fortress again & improve our away games. Lost too many last year.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
First Try Tickle

Post by First Try Tickle »

If you mean Smith’s goal kicking then I think that’s unfair. Not sure if you went yesterday but the difference in the wind at each end of the pitch made a big difference for both him and Coote.

As for the penalties in the second half, Kendal just had it on him at the time. Even giving a knock on then changing his mind. The six again rule is a joke when your defending your own line, you can’t just roll off or they will go from dummy half and score, as Ackers did on Friday.
Suzieb

Post by Suzieb »

I totally agree with your comments Josie we need to fix our problems
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

First Try Tickle wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 1:53 pm If you mean Smith’s goal kicking then I think that’s unfair. Not sure if you went yesterday but the difference in the wind at each end of the pitch made a big difference for both him and Coote.

As for the penalties in the second half, Kendal just had it on him at the time. Even giving a knock on then changing his mind. The six again rule is a joke when your defending your own line, you can’t just roll off or they will go from dummy half and score, as Ackers did on Friday.
It was awful wasn’t it? He wasn’t helped with the tries scored right on the very edge. I know that’s not an excuse but I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt.

Kendall was a bit pedantic with the six again, & hammered us with them.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
WiganP1e

Post by WiganP1e »

First Try Tickle wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 1:53 pm If you mean Smith’s goal kicking then I think that’s unfair. Not sure if you went yesterday but the difference in the wind at each end of the pitch made a big difference for both him and Coote.

Didn't go yesterday.

Regarding Smith! I just posed the question tbh. My opinion is... we can't afford to keep dropping valuable points every game, so how long do we stick with him if this doesn't improve? At the same time I totally agree with your points.
WiganP1e

Post by WiganP1e »

josie andrews wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 1:40 pm Welcome to the site 😊

Think you’re a bit harsh on Harry Smith, the conversions in the first half were against the wind. Also your backs can’t do much when your forwards are being bullied in the middle.

Majority of the players yesterday were poor. They didn’t have enough pre season games together IMO, just played half of the Powell testimonial if I remember correctly.

Two new centres of which Wardle was the best out of them both didn’t have any rapport with their wingers!

I would have started with Singleton & Byrne & bring on Havard & Cooper as the interchange.

Some one else mentioned about Powell & O’Neill playing the same sort of game, I’ve said this a few times towards the end of last year, so in my mind why do we need a hooker on the interchange bench?

When Powell wasn’t playing last season, O’Neill played a different way but now he plays just like Powell.

I told young Tom Forber at the beginning of the year that he would be pushing both senior hookers for a place if he keeps playing his own game & playing well. I just hope we can keep him happy.

I don’t know why the squad seem to have less time training together. I’ve been told they train three days a week & those are mainly half days if you go pass the players carpark after lunch on the days they do train.

We must try & accept it’s just the first game out of a long season.

We need to keep our home ground a fortress again & improve our away games. Lost too many last year.
They train 3 days???

Can't see that being true surely?

Thanks for the welcome 🍻
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

WiganP1e wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 2:27 pm

Didn't go yesterday.

Regarding Smith! I just posed the question tbh. My opinion is... we can't afford to keep dropping valuable points every game, so how long do we stick with him if this doesn't improve? At the same time I totally agree with your points.
It was very blowy (isn't it always in hull) so I'll give Smith the benefit but for years wigan seem to think it's fine to go into games with just a single player who can kick goals,all players have off days so why keep him the firing line if he's on one of those days?

Josie mentioned Cooper for me he was the better of the props and looked as if he could have stayed out for far longer than he did Singleton and Byrne frankly were poor but given that performance I suppose its harsh to single one player out,that said something I thought we had seen the back of was when Smithies got binned it was petulant and I really Hooe its not going to creep back into his game he's a better player than that.