Tonight's Match

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Charriots Offiah

Re: Tonight's Match

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Just got back. We weren’t brilliant and neither were Huddersfield, they are dour. Our defence was much improved tonight. Whatever is said we need a prop, second row, a hooker and a six. We won that game through tenacity. A win is a win and after last week very welcome. Not many teams will win at Huddersfield so a good two points.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:39 am Just got back. We weren’t brilliant and neither were Huddersfield, they are dour. Our defence was much improved tonight. Whatever is said we need a prop, second row, a hooker and a six. We won that game through tenacity. A win is a win and after last week very welcome. Not many teams will win at Huddersfield so a good two points.
I thought the giants were playing RU with the kicking for goal every time they got a penalty near the posts 😉

Maybe changing the positions Harry & Cust from last season is affecting his goal kicking 🤔 😉
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
EDINBURGH-WARRIOR

Post by EDINBURGH-WARRIOR »

Kevin Sinfield took the two at every opportunity when at Leeds it didn't do them any harm. There is a lot to be said for keeping the scoreboard ticking over .

EW
2002 and EW is hooked
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:39 am Just got back. We weren’t brilliant and neither were Huddersfield, they are dour. Our defence was much improved tonight. Whatever is said we need a prop, second row, a hooker and a six. We won that game through tenacity. A win is a win and after last week very welcome. Not many teams will win at Huddersfield so a good two points.
Which way did you travel? I was dropped off at home at 11.05 pm, & we were late getting away from the ground due to me chatting, as per usual, to friends, players & their families 😂

And then bumped into Henderson Gill who was dressed up in all Wigan gear but he’d been sat with his mate, also a Wigan fan, but with the Huddersfield lot. So got chatting with him & then David Marshall, again, as I’d only just spoke to him & Liam. Both comparing knees with one another 😂

He said he loves it when Wigan come to Huddersfield & he only goes to the games there when Wigan are playing. He’s never lost his love for the club or the people of Wigan. 😊 He was just so happy to see Wigan fans.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

EDINBURGH-WARRIOR wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:57 am Kevin Sinfield took the two at every opportunity when at Leeds it didn't do them any harm. There is a lot to be said for keeping the scoreboard ticking over .

EW
I was just being flippant 😊
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

josie andrews wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:57 am
Which way did you travel? I was dropped off at home at 11.05 pm, & we were late getting away from the ground due to me chatting, as per usual, to friends, players & their families 😂

And then bumped into Henderson Gill who was dressed up in all Wigan gear but he’d been sat with his mate, also a Wigan fan, but with the Huddersfield lot. So got chatting with him & then David Marshall, again, as I’d only just spoke to him & Liam. Both comparing knees with one another 😂

He said he loves it when Wigan come to Huddersfield & he only goes to the games there when Wigan are playing. He’s never lost his love for the club or the people of Wigan. 😊 He was just so happy to see Wigan fans.
We went for a drink after the match, good Yorkshire beer 😀
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:16 am
josie andrews wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:57 am

We went for a drink after the match, good Yorkshire beer 😀
Ha should have known 🍺🍺🍺 we had ours before 😂
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

josie andrews wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:43 am
I thought the giants were playing RU with the kicking for goal every time they got a penalty near the posts 😉

Maybe changing the positions Harry & Cust from last season is affecting his goal kicking 🤔 😉
I found that weird why on earth you'd kick so early in the game reminded me of Lam's wigan side playing with no confidence,odd to say the least.

The game was what was needed grand finals are won in these type of conditions so good to see they could grind a result out,but boy and I'm talking across the sport there's been precious little entertainment so far let's hope with better weather the game gets a grip as for my money its all been a bit flat
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

Stats are available on the Super League website and it does show better numbers from most of our key forwards which is good. While none of our props posted huge metres both Ellis and Cooper were up on their average for the year. Farrell and Smithies very impressive and some really good metres from the outside backs too.

Huddersfield had a similar spread of metres from their players. A couple of forwards with big numbers (2 props, Ikahihifo and Yates, as opposed to our 2 back rowers) and two big metre making outside backs (Marsters and Cudjoe).

Not much between the teams in total metres made but we edged it.

Backs (Metres/Carries)
Marshall - 151 / 18
King - 140 / 20
French - 113 / 12
Field - 103 / 13
Wardle - 80 / 14
Cust - 53 / 11 (1 run from dummy half)
Smith - 30 / 11

Forwards (Metres/Carries)
Farrell - 158 / 17
Smithies - 114 / 14
Havard - 80 / 12
Ellis - 78 / 9
Cooper - 76 / 8
Powell - 74 / 11 (11 runs from dummy half)
Pearce-Paul - 44 / 6
Isa - 43 / 7
Mago - 37 / 5
Byrne - 32 / 5

Tackles (Made/Missed)
Field - 3 / 1
French - 7 / 1
King - 14 / 2
Wardle - 11 / 1
Marshall - 3 / 0
Cust - 22 / 1
Smith - 25 / 3
Powell - 39 / 2
Byrne - 27 / 1
Isa - 40 / 6
Farrell - 34 / 1
Smithies - 46 / 3
Cooper - 28 / 2
Ellis - 23 / 2
Havard - 40 / 6
Pearce-Paul - 3 / 0
Mago - 12 / 4

Errors
Marshall - 2
Smith - 2
Isa - 2
Mago - 2
Field - 1
Wardle - 1
Cust - 1
Byrne - 1
Farrell - 1
Cooper - 1

Penalties
Cooper - 2
Field - 1
Isa - 1
Farrell - 1
Smithies - 1

Total Metres
Huddersfield - 1,375
Wigan - 1,406

Source: https://www.superleague.co.uk/match-centre/report/3801
The Yonner

Post by The Yonner »

Very boring game. Nearest thing to excitement was Cooper's high tackle which looked like it might have sparked a confrontation with his opponent - but then he got pulled off.

I know sometimes you have to grind out a win, but the lack of attacking flair was disappointing.