Tonight's Match

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
widdenoldboy

Re: Tonight's Match

Post by widdenoldboy »

lucky 13 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:32 pm Re Powell to a degree your all right he's solid a great clubman and so on. He's also not the best or worse imagine maybe only Roby as a 9 is running around with more medals.
For me we have missed a trick with having no threat from 9 though it also may to a degree allowed us to see better players in other positions.
Ultimately he's in the same class as Isa love the guys but neither would make it near any team if we had better options some may say we should have done so some say we should leave it to the coaches and I can see both sides.
Good post, I'd add that its not a criticism of Powell as such - good clubman and leader but that Hooker is a key position and he is not in the top 5 in the RL. By all means pick at LF if you have to but we need a better option there. If we rotate Cust in at some point then that is fine and shows good coaching.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Rumour has it that Saints will sign Clark from Warrington. Just sayin’
Suzieb

Post by Suzieb »

We need to sign leeming
doc

Post by doc »

The two hookers coming through the system at the moment, Forber and Ratchford, both have better running games than Powell and O'Neil who are too similar in my opinion.
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

widdenoldboy wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:47 am
lucky 13 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:32 pm Re Powell to a degree your all right he's solid a great clubman and so on. He's also not the best or worse imagine maybe only Roby as a 9 is running around with more medals.
For me we have missed a trick with having no threat from 9 though it also may to a degree allowed us to see better players in other positions.
Ultimately he's in the same class as Isa love the guys but neither would make it near any team if we had better options some may say we should have done so some say we should leave it to the coaches and I can see both sides.
Good post, I'd add that its not a criticism of Powell as such - good clubman and leader but that Hooker is a key position and he is not in the top 5 in the RL. By all means pick at LF if you have to but we need a better option there. If we rotate Cust in at some point then that is fine and shows good coaching.
This is my point.
It’s all well and good having your hard workers but you need that bit more to your game being at such a pivotal position like hooker.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

widdenoldboy wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:47 am
I don't think anyone would complain if he was picked at 13, I know I wouldn't
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

mickali1 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:44 am
I wish isa had size…… he would be something special i reckon
I agree. He has good hands, a decent bit of speed, tackles well, stamina, the heart of a lion and a determination to win. Imo he has been one of the best £ for £ (value for money) signings we have made.
Not sure about the good hands tting. He bombed two tries at Huddersfield not taking in passes.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
moto748

Post by moto748 »

I have to agree with nathan on this: Willie Isa would not be a great player if he was twice the size.
mickali1

Post by mickali1 »

Not sure about the good hands tting. He bombed two tries at Huddersfield not taking in passes.
I meant more in the way of passing the ball. As for not taking in passes, I don't think there's a player who hasn't bombed a certain try. As they say "We all make mistakes".
moto748

Post by moto748 »

It always seems to me when I watch Wigan, that passing moves stop when the ball reaches Willie Isa more than any other player.