Wigan win at Giants

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Wigan win at Giants

Post by josie andrews »

* Match Report as Wigan Warriors seal a hard fought victory away to Huddersfield Giants.

* Bevan French crossed for a double as Jake Wardle scored against his former Club.

* FT | Huddersfield Giants 12-14 Wigan Warriors.

Bevan French crossed for a double, as Jake Wardle also scored to seal a 14-12 win on the road at the John Smith’s Stadium on Friday night.

It was a quieter first half, as the hosts opened the scoring with a penalty goal inside 10 minutes. Bevan French got the first try of the game with Jake Wardle scoring against his former Club. The only scores from the Giants came from penalty goals as Wigan went in 8-6 to the good at the interval.

The Giants got their opening try shortly after the restart but Wigan responded on the hour as Bevan French got his second of the game to get Wigan back in front at 14-12, sealing the win on the road.

The Giants opened the scoring after 8 minutes after a penalty in the hosts’ favour close to the Wigan goal line. Huddersfield opted for the two-pointer as Olly Russell slotted over the kick to put the Giants into an early 2-0 lead.

Wigan responded in the 15th minute as Marsters spilled the ball for Cust to collect and send a cute grubber through for Bevan French to collect and score on the right wing. From the touchline, Harry Smith couldn’t convert but Wigan led 4-2.

Russell levelled the scores on 22 minutes as a penalty for a high tackle 30 meters out was again put on the tee by Huddersfield who added the two-pointer for a 4-4 score.

Wigan responded immediately though as a kick on the last was fumbled in goal by the Giants to allow Jake Wardle to pounce on the loose ball and get Wigan’s second try of the evening. Smith couldn’t add the extras from the touchline as the ball ricocheted off the uprights and it was 8-4.

Right on the stroke of half time, the Giants reduced the deficit again as another penalty went against the Warriors. Olly Russell made it three penalty goals from three but Wigan led 8-6 at the break.

The Giants retook the lead early in the second half as a kick-through from Pryce went behind the Warriors defensive line and allowed Naiqama to get Huddersfield’s first try of the evening. Russell added the conversion and it was 12-8.

Wigan went close in the 57th minute as they had numbers on the right edge, a pass through the line to Isa was juggled but eventually the ball went to ground but Wigan could feel some momentum building. On the hour mark the Warriors got their noses back in front as a high kick as batted back by Wardle into the hands of French who swivelled away from the defence to get the ball down. Smith added the extras to make it 14-12 going into the final 20 minutes.

Wardle thought he’d grabbed his second as he made an acrobatic dive towards the left corner but the referee adjudged him to have gone into touch to deny Wigan a further score as it remained 14-12 until the final hooter, confirming a win on the road for the Warriors.

Huddersfield Giants: Tui Lolohea, Jake Bibby, Esan Marsters, Kevin Naiqama, Leroy Cudjoe, Will Pryce, Olly Russell, Chris Hill, Nathan Peats, Olly Wilson, Chris McQueen, Josh Jones, Luke Yates.

Interchange: Ashton Golding, Seb Ikahihifo, Harry Rushton, Jack Ashworth.

18th Player: Harvey Livett.

Tries: Naiqama (46′)

Goals: Russell 4/4

Wigan Warriors: Jai Field, Bevan French, Toby King, Jake Wardle, Liam Marshall, Cade Cust, Harry Smith, Liam Byrne, Sam Powell, Mike Cooper, Willie Isa, Liam Farrell, Morgan Smithies.

Interchange: Ethan Havard, Kaide Ellis, Patrick Mago, Kai Pearce-Paul.

18th Player: Brad O’Neill.

Tries: French (15′, 60′), Wardle (25′)

Goals: Smith 1/3

Referee: Jack Smith

Attendance: 5,777

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2023/03/ ... at-giants/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Wigan win at Giants

Post by josie andrews »

Peet: Liked the Effort

* Matt Peet spoke to the press following Wigan’s 12-14 win over Huddersfield Giants.

* Peet: “Our performance wasn’t our best, but I thought we handled the situation well”.

* Two tries from Bevan French and a try from Jake Wardle secured the victory for the Warriors.

Head Coach Matt Peet says his side ‘needed a win like that’ following a hard fought Betfred Super League victory over Huddersfield Giants.

Bevan French scored twice and Jake Wardle scored once as the Warriors ran out 12-14 winners at the John Smith’s Stadium in a tightly contested affair.

“To come here and get two points is satisfying, it’s a difficult place to come.”, Peet said, “Our performance wasn’t our best. You don’t get many pretty games when you come here and it certainly wasn’t. But I thought we handled the situation well. We weren’t always in control, but I liked the way we played in terms of effort areas.

“They complete high and kick well, sit behind that and it takes a lot out of you. I thought we looked quite comfortable in our defence and I was happy with how connected we looked there.

“We won’t get too high tonight. It’s a decent performance, probably the kind of win we’ve needed. But attention shifts quite quickly.”

Warriors were able to pounce on mistakes made by Huddersfield for two tries, with Peet saying that sort of tough win is something that his side needed.

He said: “That was the strategy the lads came up with, bought into and it paid off. I think we needed this kind of victory. We had two different wins but we probably needed to win like that. That’s the game we expected and the players were prepared for.”

Jake Wardle managed to score against his former side, going over on 25 minutes for Wigan’s second, capitalizing on a spill from a Huddersfield player to get his second of the season.

He’s a quality player and he’s settled in really well. I think he feels valued here and I think there’s much more in him. He seems to be enjoying himself, he’s got a smile on his face and a spring in his step. I think he’s going to be a good player for a good few years here.”

Peet stated he has no fresh injury concerns following the game. He said: “The lads look fit, you walk in there they look like they could play another game to be honest.

“I just praised our conditioning and medical staff. We’ve been fortunate to turn out a similar squad. The communication that goes between the players and the staff is paying off. Hopefully that will stand us in good stead this year. “

Huddersfield Giants: Tui Lolohea, Jake Bibby, Esan Marsters, Kevin Naiqama, Leroy Cudjoe, Will Pryce, Olly Russell, Chris Hill, Nathan Peats, Olly Wilson, Chris McQueen, Josh Jones, Luke Yates.

Interchange: Ashton Golding, Seb Ikahihifo, Harry Rushton, Jack Ashworth.

18th Player: Harvey Livett.

Tries: Naiqama (46′)

Goals: Russell 4/4

Wigan Warriors: Jai Field, Bevan French, Toby King, Jake Wardle, Liam Marshall, Cade Cust, Harry Smith, Liam Byrne, Sam Powell, Mike Cooper, Willie Isa, Liam Farrell, Morgan Smithies.

Interchange: Ethan Havard, Kaide Ellis, Patrick Mago, Kai Pearce-Paul.

18th Player: Brad O’Neill.

Tries: French (15′, 60′), Wardle (25′)

Goals: Smith 1/3

Referee: Jack Smith

Attendance: 5,777

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2023/03/ ... he-effort/
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
craigo

Post by craigo »

Really happy with that. Now we get ready for Salford.
I have supported Wigan RL since the late 80s. First game was a cup tie v Barrow. Also a fan of football and Speedway. Have a varied taste in music.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

craigo wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:53 am Really happy with that. Now we get ready for Salford.
A different challenge next week, a team that like to move the ball than grind you down. It should be more entertaining.
craigo

Post by craigo »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:31 am
craigo wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:53 am Really happy with that. Now we get ready for Salford.
A different challenge next week, a team that like to move the ball than grind you down. It should be more entertaining.
Agree. Salford used to be a guaranteed win for us. Not anymore. Cannot wait.
I have supported Wigan RL since the late 80s. First game was a cup tie v Barrow. Also a fan of football and Speedway. Have a varied taste in music.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Ian Watson has his say on crucial six again calls that Huddersfield didn’t get

Huddersfield Giants came up just short against Wigan Warriors last night.

It was a game that showed that the two sides are evenly matched at present and it was the small moments that went on to decide the game such as the two Huddersfield errors that led directly to Wigan tries or indeed the six again calls that Huddersfield didn’t get.

There were perhaps a few moments where Huddersfield’s brilliant middles looked like they had done enough to earn a six again but didn’t get one.

After the game, Ian Watson spoke about these but made a point to praise official Jack Smith:

“I thought there were a few calls where we could have got six agains.

“One of the sets was one of those when we didn’t finish so well with a chip kick rather than turning them over deep

If you get a six again there, the game is different.’

“I thought there were about three or four six agains we could have got but probably Wigan could have said the same as well.

“Overall I thought Jack Smith was good to be fair, I thought he was pretty good.

“It gets you when you’re in the game but if you sit back and look its a small thing that has cost us.

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/ian-wats ... get-70832/
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

He doesn’t half like a moan that they’ve been hard done to!
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Yeah he should have said "if he calls six again there we have an opportunity to drop it on the next tackle and turn it over and the game is different". The competition rate for both sides was abismal. Neither team capitalized on the others errors, six agains or penalties. There's no way you can confidently say a single six again call would make any difference at all. Clutching. At. Straws.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐