Halfs

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Ggtt11

Halfs

Post by Ggtt11 »

Anyone else think we play better with cust at 9 and jai in the half's with bevan at fullback?

For me it means bevans more involved in the game and at the same time they are both attacking the line in influencal positions?

And also Powell is on the bench, he offers nothing in attack and the opposite team know he's always going to pass and never go himself.
Charriots Offiah

Re: Halfs

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Ggtt11 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:13 pm Anyone else think we play better with cust at 9 and jai in the half's with bevan at fullback?

For me it means bevans more involved in the game and at the same time they are both attacking the line in influencal positions?

And also Powell is on the bench, he offers nothing in attack and the opposite team know he's always going to pass and never go himself.
Cust is never a stand off in a month of Sundays.
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

The switch to this system turned the game to our advantage.
The only question is will we start with this or again change to it during the game?
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Its deffo worth trying but Wigan wont

they will play powell at 9 as long as he is physically capable of making the start of the game

end of discussion
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
craigo

Post by craigo »

Powell has played his part in big successes. Yes, I wish he had a bit more forward thinking about him. But he is not that bad.
I have supported Wigan RL since the late 80s. First game was a cup tie v Barrow. Also a fan of football and Speedway. Have a varied taste in music.
Bobby-WRL

Post by Bobby-WRL »

Leading point scorers 2022 Wigan Warriors
Harry Smith & Cade Cust
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

craigo wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:37 pm Powell has played his part in big successes. Yes, I wish he had a bit more forward thinking about him. But he is not that bad.
As a 9 he is awful
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Ggtt11 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:13 pm Anyone else think we play better with cust at 9 and jai in the half's with bevan at fullback?

I think Cust looks physically in trouble. His arms seem to be very limited in range of motion due to the wrapping he has on both elbows. I think like at the end of the game this week we may have e to go with the formation but with Powell reminding at hooker and Cust out of the side. (Although at Huddersfield it was probably a head knock or something else that forced him off, not sure it was tactical)

Getting field and french's hands on the balls as often as possible is always going to be a good move IMO. Let's give ourselves the best chance of it working.

IMO We really need to play this formation from now on. Field has a lot to learn in the halves, especially about last play organisation and selecting a sensible option based on the game situation. He's an off the cuff player but he needs to learn structure and systems on last and second to last tackles as they're the most common crucial play in a game. The first four tackles are fine to be totally off the cuff, but he has to have some practice on last plays. He's not going to learn this all from video sessions he's got to be out there making mistakes and learning from them, so get those out of the way in the first half of the season when they don't really matter.

I don't think we can just make the switch with 20mins to go every week and hope it's better. I'm sure we're practicing in this formation to support that switcheroo, but I bet it's 25% of the time, not 75% of the time. So we're giving it even less chance of succeeding.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:02 pm

Cust is never a stand off in a month of Sundays.
So you like this idea, or not?

Or is it that every thread that is trying to discuss an interesting idea and see what people think about that idea is actually just an opportunity to have a dog at a player and not contribute to the discussion?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:06 pm Its deffo worth trying but Wigan wont

they will play powell at 9 as long as he is physically capable of making the start of the game

end of discussion
Personally I don't think hooker is the key element of this formation. It's the halves and full back changes. In the past people have had doubts about Fields ability in the halves, but I don't think we've got any option at this point but to make this change now and allow him some space to develop as much as possible before the key moments in the season. For me, whether Cust or Powell are at hooker isn't going to make or break this.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐