Stadium

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
doc

Re: Stadium

Post by doc »

I believe that a condition of the deal for us to use the arena was for it to still be used for athletics.

One issue would be that the land behind the sticks at the DW end is currently the car park used by SKY and I cant see the Tic's selling it to us on the cheap.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

morley pie eater wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:34 am I'd love us to have our own ground along the lines of Saints', Warrington's or Leigh's.

I believe that one snag is that, to be financially viable, it needs to be used for other events. We'd need a capacity of, say, 18 to 20 thousand. Even it was possible to develop Robin Park, we'd be in direct competition with the DW, having to underbid each other for business, and getting half each of the potential total income.

Leigh seem to do a good job of using their stadium (or Wigan Council do -whichever is the case), but the market for a 12k stadium will be different for an 18-20k one. Two with similar capacity, in one town, let alone on each other's doorstep, would unfortunately have serious downsides, I guess.
Leigh don't own the stadium though do they? They are council tenants along with man u woman's team and youth team.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
craigo

Post by craigo »

Caboosegg wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:56 pm
morley pie eater wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:34 am I'd love us to have our own ground along the lines of Saints', Warrington's or Leigh's.

I believe that one snag is that, to be financially viable, it needs to be used for other events. We'd need a capacity of, say, 18 to 20 thousand. Even it was possible to develop Robin Park, we'd be in direct competition with the DW, having to underbid each other for business, and getting half each of the potential total income.

Leigh seem to do a good job of using their stadium (or Wigan Council do -whichever is the case), but the market for a 12k stadium will be different for an 18-20k one. Two with similar capacity, in one town, let alone on each other's doorstep, would unfortunately have serious downsides, I guess.
Leigh don't own the stadium though do they? They are council tenants along with man u woman's team and youth team.
if I was a Leigh fan until recently I don't think I would feel like it is my teams stadium. They have now only just got proper signage. With the stupid animal prints.
I have supported Wigan RL since the late 80s. First game was a cup tie v Barrow. Also a fan of football and Speedway. Have a varied taste in music.