Stadium

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Nate90

Stadium

Post by Nate90 »

This is the perfect opportunity for Wigan Rugby to buy the stadium.

What would the pro's and cons be for the club?
medlocke

Re: Stadium

Post by medlocke »

Too big, Too costly, Too old

Now the stadium next door would be ideal to convert into a decent 18k seat RL ground imo
craigo

Post by craigo »

I cannot discuss the stadium without being controversial. That is not my fault. The whole thing has not been ideal. That is why. Only good thing is, Not been as bad as the Rochdale groundshare.
I have supported Wigan RL since the late 80s. First game was a cup tie v Barrow. Also a fan of football and Speedway. Have a varied taste in music.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

medlocke wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:59 am Too big, Too costly, Too old

Now the stadium next door would be ideal to convert into a decent 18k seat RL ground imo
What robin park?

Can't see there being enough space to do so but I agree with you over the DW,yet when you look at Huddersfields stadium it still looks modern by comparison
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

If we could only get our billionaire shareholder to buy it & do it up 🤔 That would be really good.

There is no room to expand Robin Park. And after all the work done to the fanzone experience etc I don’t think the club would be of a mind to do it. Pity we can’t take over the outside football pitches etc in that area to expand further 😊
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

fozzieskem wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:24 am

What robin park?

Can't see there being enough space to do so but I agree with you over the DW,yet when you look at Huddersfields stadium it still looks modern by comparison
I don't see why not, plenty of space at each end of pitch and on the track, could cantilever a section over the Dougy, you'd just have to find a new home for the running club (if they are still there)
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

The last estimate I heard that the DW needed around £8-10 million spending on it soon.
Then you have the regular operating costs.
I would think the best solution would be for the council to own the stadium and both the rugby and football clubs pay a "fair rent"
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Its too big for Rugby League IMO
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

I'd love us to have our own ground along the lines of Saints', Warrington's or Leigh's.

I believe that one snag is that, to be financially viable, it needs to be used for other events. We'd need a capacity of, say, 18 to 20 thousand. Even it was possible to develop Robin Park, we'd be in direct competition with the DW, having to underbid each other for business, and getting half each of the potential total income.

Leigh seem to do a good job of using their stadium (or Wigan Council do -whichever is the case), but the market for a 12k stadium will be different for an 18-20k one. Two with similar capacity, in one town, let alone on each other's doorstep, would unfortunately have serious downsides, I guess.
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

medlocke wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:44 am
fozzieskem wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:24 am

What robin park?

I don't see why not, plenty of space at each end of pitch and on the track, could cantilever a section over the Dougy, you'd just have to find a new home for the running club (if they are still there)
The Wigan Harriers, I think they are called, do still use the facilities at Robin Park including the outside running track
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan